Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Tyres

Options
  • 01-03-2017 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Have been zwifting in the living room. On an old 28" tyre. Tyre is now pretty worn. Two punctures in a 2 weeks

Now is the time to get a proper turbo tyre. So I have come here for any pointers and the best place to purchase etc. I am gonna have to get it fitted so is it worth the point in getting it online and bringing to the LBS?

Any deals out there at the minute?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

if you can repair a puncture you can put a turbo tyre on. Typically a bit tighter than a normal tyre and you may find you need to finish mounting it with some tyre levers - just have to take care not to pinch the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Any recommendations where to get one for a decent price??

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Since you mention punctures and turbos. What is the cause?

They typically overheat and that makes them more prone to puncture. They also wear a lot quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

godtabh wrote: »
    Since you mention punctures and turbos. What is the cause?

I am presuming as the tyre has worn the heating has had more of an effect on the tube. Hence tyre needing replacement

I had done 1.5km without a puncture. First puncture was just after I pumped the tyre so I was assuming I had overpumped

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I got a puncture with a new turbo tyre yesterday. May have been over inflated

godtabh wrote: »
    I got a puncture with a new turbo tyre yesterday. May have been over inflated
    They have no additional puncture protection so it does not take much to be picked up off the turbo, or perhaps a small piece of grit from where the tyre was being stored, to result in a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

Got a turbo tyre lately in Halfords for around €12...had offers from few lads here with old tyres that were willing to part with them too so might be worth asking.

i have the halfords one too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I use a Tacx one i got for €25 , a bargain as it was priced wrong in LBS. Got one puncture so far through the whole winter, any ordinary tyre I used have off black dust after so long using it.

Advertisement