Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using highlighter pens in exams

• 01-03-2017 6:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has someone (a teacher) advised you to use a highlighter pen in an exam?

Well, don't.

Aside from bad handwriting, it is the singularly most annoying thing when you are trying to correct an exam. I mean really, does someone think having President Kennedy surrounded in luminous hot pink makes an examiner see it any better? If anything it makes the whole paper harder to read and severely ticks off the examiner.

*just corrected a school's mocks and right this minute could cheerfully strangle whatever teacher told them to use the highlighters.

** Not talking about highlighting words in the question, this is every second word in the essay answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

spurious wrote: »
    Has someone (a teacher) advised you to use a highlighter pen in an exam?

Well, don't.

Aside from bad handwriting, it is the singularly most annoying thing when you are trying to correct an exam. I mean really, does someone think having President Kennedy surrounded in luminous hot pink makes an examiner see it any better? If anything it makes the whole paper harder to read and severely ticks off the examiner.

*just corrected a school's mocks and right this minute could cheerfully strangle whatever teacher told them to use the highlighters.

** Not talking about highlighting words in the question, this is every second word in the essay answers.

Did you put it in the feedback for the teacher?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you put it in the feedback for the teacher?

Absolutely.
    No doubt they will complain, but I don't care, I'm sick of it. I spent almost 40 minutes on one paper today, trying to decipher the spidery jumble of disconnected shapes passing as letters within the luminous greens and yellows. For two euro, they are taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No worries about me spurious, I would never bring highlighter pens into exams even if my teachers told me to, at least they're not that ridiculous. I'll remember that for LC (since I'm in TY now :cool:).

Absolutely.
    No doubt they will complain, but I don't care, I'm sick of it. I spent almost 40 minutes on one paper today, trying to decipher the spidery jumble of disconnected shapes passing as letters within the luminous greens and yellows. For two euro, they are taking the proverbial.

Yes it is seriously annoying to see students messing around with exam papers. I tell my students that it gives the wrong impression and they might lose marks for it :) I had however, one of my students hand up a mock with the lightest pencil marks I ever saw despite me telling them numerous times that they have to use black/blue pen in the real exam for the scanning. However, there wasn't much to correct in some of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Absolutely.

Is that all you get paid? What about marking the real paper? Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is that all you get paid? What about marking the real paper? Jesus.

The real paper pays more.
    To be fair, if a JC paper doesn't have the dreadful writing and stupid highlighter on it, I can get about six an hour done. It's kind of relaxing after a while, when you get into your stride with the marking scheme, which makes the spidery marks and highlighter all the more annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

What about students and tip ex. Oh my goodness. I had a paper where 3/4 of a question was tip exed out (badly I may add because I could still make it out) and the student must have thought they had time to redo it but they didn't. I advise all students to forget wasting time on tip ex and put a bracket around their work. So at least the examiner can read /give you a mark/s should time run out.

Also there's no need to draw massive arrows to tell your examiner to go to the following page for the rest of the answer. They know to turn over and also check every page.

What about students and tip ex. Oh my goodness. I had a paper where 3/4 of a question was tip exed out (badly I may add because I could still make it out) and the student must have thought they had time to redo it but they didn't. I advise all students to forget wasting time on tip ex and put a bracket around their work. So at least the examiner can read /give you a mark/s should time run out.

Also there's no need to draw massive arrows to tell your examiner to go to the following page for the rest of the answer. They know to turn over and also check every page.

When I was in school, a teacher we had used to tell us to 'not waste our time painting' - I say this to my students.

When I was in school, a teacher we had used to tell us to 'not waste our time painting' - I say this to my students.

We had a straight out ban in our school:)

We had a straight out ban in our school:)

Yes that happened in our place with a new principal and a girl in another school put herself in hospital from sniffing it - don't know if that was true but that was one of the reasons behind it. As a teacher I can see the benefit of banning it. As well as the bottle of water that is surgically attached to every student now. And don't forget the dabbing. Jez I think I'm getting older too fast.

• Advertisement

Don't talk to me about water bottles . There's been a few incidents in different schools were teachers got injuries from slipping in the corridors due to the water bottle flipping.

How did we survive without dehydrating, dying of starvation, or loneliness in the old days pre mobiles and water and snacks?

How did we survive without dehydrating, dying of starvation, or loneliness in the old days pre mobiles and water and snacks?

Yes and we're the ones doing the talking and can get through it without drinking out of bottle and having to go to the toilet during class. I don't know we survive it.

We weren't allowed water bottles in class. As my music teacher once put it, how would you like it if I came in and rudely drank a cup of tea in front of ye when I was supposed to be teaching, so ye don't have time to be drinking while ye are learning !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

oh I just stumbled on to a teacher moan thread:P

Just correct the words in highlighter only Spurious.

Ya water... like WTF. I think it's home ec. teachers who spread the myth of having to drink a million litres a day to 'stay hydrated'... anyway watch this:

Advertisement