Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central car parking

Options
  • 01-03-2017 6:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

can anyone recommend a car park in the city center that is relatively cheap.
    or even on street parking that does not cost too much

is there any on street parking areas that do not have the "minimum" rule of 2 euro, I had to pop in to a shop last week for about 10 minutes, didn't want to risk it so paid on street parking, feckers had minimum of 2 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Dyke road and cathedral car parks are both 4 euro per day. They get full early in the morning (8-8.30) as lots of shop staff etc use them.
    Not sure about short term cheap parking. I think the car park in mill street next to guards station lets you put in coins and gives you a ticket for a few minutes with no minimum charge too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Dyke road and cathedral car parks are both 4 euro per day. They get full early in the morning (8-8.30) as lots of shop staff etc use them.
    Not sure about short term cheap parking. I think the car park in mill street next to guards station lets you put in coins and gives you a ticket for a few minutes with no minimum charge too.

Thanks. They are probably jammers too at the weekend.

Is all on street parking in Galway city a minimum of 2 Euro ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

According to the Galway City Council website, the minimum charge for on-street parking is 50 cent for 15 minutes:

http://www.galwaycity.ie/traffic-transport-parking/parking-galway-information/#2

According to the Galway City Council website, the minimum charge for on-street parking is 50 cent for 15 minutes:

http://www.galwaycity.ie/traffic-transport-parking/parking-galway-information/#2

thanks,

mmm, when i parked last week at about 6:30pm it was minimum 2 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most streets that I know about don't have a E2 minimum. Where was it? Maybe the docks ( charges not managed by the council) do ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

thanks,

mmm, when i parked last week at about 6:30pm it was minimum 2 euro.

You must have been parking in a non-council controlled area such as the docks. Parking is free after 6:30pm in the council-controlled parking areas.

Most streets that I know about don't have a E2 minimum. Where was it? Maybe the docks ( charges not managed by the council) do ....

Ah yes. It was the docks alright.

Thanks. One to note.

Where else should I avoid or is it only the docks that has this setup ?

I see a lot of people on a weekend. queuing to use the bish car park beside Anthony Ryan's homeware.

Anyone know the hourly rate here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

I see a lot of people on a weekend. queuing to use the bish car park beside Anthony Ryan's homeware.

Anyone know the hourly rate here ?

It's expensive enough. I think it's at least €2 an hour if not more.

motley wrote: »
    It's expensive enough. I think it's at least €2 an hour if not more.

Oh ok. Thought it was super cheap due to people sitting there for ages queuing (was in the market area and seen some people queuing for nearly 20 minutes)

• Advertisement

Just for future reference- council car parking ticket machines only go up to 6.30pm : you can park on the roads for free after that. Sundays are free all day at the moment. This doesn't include the immediate docks area which you have to pay for 24/7 I think.

People queue for the st pats car park because they are too lazy to walk any further (imho).

Just for future reference- council car parking ticket machines only go up to 6.30pm : you can park on the roads for free after that. Sundays are free all day at the moment. This doesn't include the immediate docks area which you have to pay for 24/7 I think.

People queue for the st pats car park because they are too lazy to walk any further (imho).

Thanks for that.
    Suppose they could go up the road to the market street car park.......or is that just permanently full at weekends?

Is there any text parking in Galway ?

Is there any text parking in Galway ?

Pay and display in NUIG uses the Apoca parking app. Sounds similar to text parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm fairly sure the parking next to the train station is by text too. You enter to the right of the Meyrick hotel.

Advertisement