Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can the saxophone be self thought?

• 01-03-2017 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I want to take up the saxophone but there is no lessons in my area... Would it be a bad idea to try and learn from YouTube videos? I know very little about playing it but I've wanted to learn it for years.. So would it be possible to teach myself? If so is buying one second hand a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

It is possible to learn a musical instrument yourself. However, the process can be a lot slower than with a teacher and IMO not near as beneficial.

Youtube lessons are not a bad thing, but quite often they don't start basic and work on what went before. They often start somewhere in the middle of the learning journey and leave gaps in the learning process. If you do go the Youtube route, seek out lessons that start with the absolute basics, and gradually build from there. Picking random lessons that appeal to you is not the way to go IMO, if you want to progress and avoid frustration.

I think that even about a half a dozen lessons would be great to get you started. Even if you were to travel a few extra miles, it would still be time, money and effort well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Waara Rex

Why don't try what are you losing anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Waara Rex wrote: »
    Why don't try what are you losing anyway?

I agree. If the OP really has his/her heart set on learning the saxophone then it is worth while going ahead and giving it your best shot. Buying a cheap or second hand saxophone would probably be best at this stage. Later, if you decide you are going to stick with it, you can always upgrade. Bear in mind though that the slogan..."buy cheap..buy twice" would apply in this case. Depends on your finances.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I thought myself the saxophone many years ago. However I used to play the bagpipes before that and could read music etc so that helped out alot.

Advertisement