Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contractor Role - Good idea?

Options
  • 01-03-2017 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been approached by a recruitment agency for a contractor role with one of the big tech companies.

Pay is good, job is good but hesitant about being a contractor on a 11 month contract.

I'd be leaving a stable permanent role, but this new role is big step up in pay and the experience would be good, I don't doubt I would find another job after the 11 months are up, under 30 and have decent experience.

Are there any things I should look out for when being offered a contractor role?

I'm just wondering how salary is paid - I was quoted a figure but is that based on per annum, or would it be for the contract duration?

How does annual leave work or calculated?

Do contractor roles look good or bad on CV's? Would the relatively short duration hinder me for future jobs?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Are there any things I should look out for when being offered a contractor role?
    Is it a daily rate or fixed term contract
    Will you be on company payroll or do you need to set up your own limited company?
    You will be liable to pay employee and employer Prsi if an employee of an umbrella company, you only pay employer prsi if a director of an umbrella company. If you go for the director option then you will not be eligible for social welfare pay if sick or out of work although this may have changed now. ( I last contracted 2 years ago)
    Flexibility is great, presumably you work in tech where there are tonnes of jobs, if you don't like the job you can leave and probably start somewhere new within a week.

I'm just wondering how salary is paid - I was quoted a figure but is that based on per annum, or would it be for the contract duration?

Depends on the type of contract i.e. Fixed term or day rate
    If fixed term it's normally paid with company payroll
    Dayrate you submit an invoice either weekly or monthly depending on contract

How does annual leave work or calculated?

You don't get any if it's a day rate, that's why the pay is higher.
    Fixed term could be different.

Do contractor roles look good or bad on CV's? Would the relatively short duration hinder me for future jobs?

It's all about the experience so cv can look as good or as bad as your experience, doesn't matter on the type of role and if it was permanent or contract.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

All in all you can gain great experience contracting and the higher pay is great.
    Drawbacks are the admin work that you have to do, no paid holidays bonuses or employee perks.
    I did it for 4 years and got great experience from it but now in a permanent role which is good because of the security etc. But Ido miss the flexibility of contracting.

Advertisement