Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing walls best practice

Options
  • 01-03-2017 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all, i will have about 50 chases to do in a house, dont want to spend a fortune on expensive wall chasers, are the ones for about €150 on ebay etc any good? How many chases would you expect to get from a set of discs? Also are those back box hole cutters any good, the single and double ones?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Decent SDS drill and chasing bit might be a better option.

What material? plaster / concrete / brick?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 readymix111

House built in the 80s, be mainly solid concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭benjilxp

House built in the 80s, be mainly solid concrete.

You'll be a long time making 50 chases with a sds chisel bit.I'd just buy a proper chaser and sure you'll have it for the next job,or a small hand held grinder with a diamond cutting disk would be cheaper but lots of dust

Yeah i think ill go for the wall chaser, what about the box hole cutters? Are they any use? I heard people would rather use the single box cutters for both instead of going for a single and double box cutter, would they work well in concrete walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Yeah i think ill go for the wall chaser, what about the box hole cutters? Are they any use? I heard people would rather use the single box cutters for both instead of going for a single and double box cutter, would they work well in concrete walls?
    They're rubbish. In concrete you wouldn't have a chance. You'll get vibration white finger long before you have a box cut!

• Advertisement

Yeah had a feeling, all the videos ever show is on blocks. Would just a hammer action chisel bit be better for the back boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭judge30

Yeah had a feeling, all the videos ever show is on blocks. Would just a hammer action chisel bit be better for the back boxes?

Just hire out a wall chaser and dust extractor ,most tool hire depots have them ,for the boxes criss cross the chaser blades like an x,s and o,s game and then chisel out the boxes with the sds hammer,those armeg box cutters are unless I got it used it once and it's buried in the back of the van for eternity.

judge30 wrote: »
    those armeg box cutters are unless I got it used it once and it's buried in the back of the van for eternity.
    Same fate as my Armeg box cutter then! Although I occasionally give it another chance to see if it really is as bad as I remembered... And of course it always is!

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Same fate as my Armeg box cutter then! Although I occasionally give it another chance to see if it really is as bad as I remembered... And of course it always is!

I didn't even think I was good on the blocks ,Be prepared to open the wallet for a good wall chaser there not cheap.
    I highly recommend an dust extractor even if you buy a second hand one or hire out ,dust isn't good on the lungs😆

I didn't even think I was good on the blocks ,Be prepared to open the wallet for a good wall chaser there not cheap.
    I highly recommend an dust extractor even if you buy a second hand one or hire out ,dust isn't good on the lungs😆

• Advertisement

judge30 wrote: »

I didn't even think I was good on the blocks
    Completely agree. I don't think it's good on any material.

Cheers lads, think ill save the money, its a pity though, they look impressive on the sites. Good old hard labour it is so 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

50 chases is a good bit in an old hse the walls would hard as rock now u probbaly be better hire in a guy to do it and let him suffer

I would love to get someone in to do it, what is the going rate per chase do you know? Any good contractors around the Dublin area?

marknjb wrote: »
    50 chases is a good bit in an old hse the walls would hard as rock now u probbaly be better hire in a guy to do it and let him suffer

Ah old house's walls would be soft as cheese!why quit before even starting??

I would love to get someone in to do it, what is the going rate per chase do you know? Any good contractors around the Dublin area?

Why pay someone else to do it?you'd get a lot done in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 6 021electrician

Why are you drawing the heartache of 50 wall chases on yourself? There are plenty of lads who do wall chasing for a living and would have it chased out while you would be fiddling with discs/depts etc. If you come across a solid stone wall, especially if it's an 80's built house then it will break your heart save your energy for the wiring and hire a professional. I can recommend a guy if you are based in the south.

its an 80s hse so built with blocks u havent done much chaseing if u think they will be soft

• Advertisement

its an 80s hse so built with blocks u havent done much chaseing if u think they will be soft

He hasn't even started 1 chase! How dafuc do you know what the walls are like??OK give me 5e a chase and I'll do it myself and be finished in a day

i know from having chased plenty of rewires 80s block would be like flint by now as for the money i'm hardly going to pay u to chase someone else's job if the poster wants to pay u fair enough work away i wont begrudge it to u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Nothing like a block on flat built in the 50s house, all the blocks made by hand on site with stones the size golf balls. I'd get in a fella that does it all the time he will have all the gear. Even if it's your own house. Otherwise heartbreak ridge is only around the bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I spent a few summers at this. My own house with mass concrete walls and concrete floors was my last attempt.

The trick as I saw it was to have a good tight fit, I achieved this by adjusting the twin blades to the right size, I also keep a very very slight s shape over the length of the chase, this shape should be slight and within the zone of the socket box.

The tight fit makes it very easy to chisel drill out and with the slight s shape you can pop the conduit in place and it will be held in tightly so it's easy for the plasterer afterwards and you don't have to clip or nail the sides to hold the conduit in

I stopped double chases too. Pinning conduits in is time consuming and potentially you can damage the installation,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

i know from having chased plenty of rewires 80s block would be like flint by now as for the money i'm hardly going to pay u to chase someone else's job if the poster wants to pay u fair enough work away i wont begrudge it to u

Not if you have the proper blades. The ones you get in the local diy wouldn't suffice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Stoner was it bad planning that you were chasing concrete floors or just the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Stoner was it bad planning that you were chasing concrete floors or just the walls?

No just the walls in an existing build. The concrete floor just resulted in downstairs being wired from upstairs and dropping down everywhere that's why I mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

if anyones looking for a chaser, lidl will have some in stock on the 16th

€69.99

good value for short term diy work, doubt it would last the long term but lidl and aldi tools have surprised me before with their quality

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=52720

Advertisement