Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of getting an EV - couple of questions

• 01-03-2017 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice. hopefully this is the right forum.

I think I'm an ideal candidate for an EV but need a few pointers.

Current situation is that we have 2 car's in the household which consists of myself the missus and a 3 month old (this changes things as regards needing to lug buggies, travel cots and such)

car 1: couple years old Suzuki. will be keeping this for the foreseeable future. primarily driven by OH. looks like this would cover off the occasional long run to the other ends of the country.

car 2: an almost clapped out 97 Toyota carina 1.6 learn burn. it's at end of life and it's served me very well over the years, hasn't missed a beat. however it's time to go. paying tax by the quarter (worth more than the car each time lol) and it's NCT'd to October '17. so could stretch it's life out a few months if need be.

I use the Toyota to commute and for local run around. work is 5km away, shops/gym/friends are similar, etc. so I do c.8000km per annum in the Toyota, and it gets about 30 mpg all in. Dublin city centre so plenty of sitting in traffic etc. - it rarely, if ever, ventures outside the m50.

it would seem to me that the 2nd car sounds ripe to change to an EV? that's my first and primary question. seems like I wouldn't have much range anxiety and have the ICE for longer trips.

from there, I suppose the next question is which EV would you say is best suited to my situation? i'll have to start dropping the kid to crèche so will need to keep a buggy and various things in the boot.

Budget would be up to 25k. That's 'new car' territory from what I can tell. I tend to keep cars a long time, say >6 years. I think there is a scrappage on at the minute for the Leaf which might save me a few quid. however isn't there a new model Leaf coming out this year?

but it doesn't have to be a new EV. is it worth buying second hand, installing the charge point on my own dime and minimising depreciation and upgrading it in a shorter time frame? (given the likely rapid-ish advancements in range, charging and so on). i'd be happy to save a few quid if I could, but would like somewhere nice to sit / fun to drive in and around the city.

I guess the final alternative would be to stick with another ICE. but even with something relatively cheap, when I run the figures on total cost of ownership, EV comes out on top (including depreciation, when factoring in the long ownership time, cheap servicing, tax, 'fuel'). when I run numbers with a similar price, EV blows it out of the water even if I depreciate the EV to zero (which is a possibility I suppose!!)

anyway thanks for reading. my next step is to take one for a test drive. I think Nissan are doing 24 hr test drives so I may start there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd recommend a new Hyundai Ioniq or a USED leaf for about half the price.
    Depreciation is huge on the Leaf as its about to be replaced whereas the Ioniq is latest tech and more efficient.

Depreciation is huge on a leaf but unknown on the Ioniq !!!

"safest" bet is a 2nd hand 30 Kwh leaf.

Any new car, you loose on depreciation anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good luck with whatever you decide, but just wanted to add that a 24hr test drive is a joke.

Considering you have to sleep, its a bit pathetic.

The idea of buying an EV is a massive decision that I am sure many people are considering, and the slightest blip could make them stay with ICE. Surely you'd need at least a full weekend anyway, so you can experience the battery going flat and needing a recharge?

Someone taking a 24hr tesr drive might not even get to plug it in for a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Thanks for the posts so far

Along with checking out the EV Ioniq I'll look into the used 30kwh leaf

If I were going used, what do I need to consider? All I'm thinking is a home charge point - from what I understand I want a 32amp variant.

Also am I missing out on things like the government grant? But that may be already priced in, seeing as the original owner would have got it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Good luck with whatever you decide, but just wanted to add that a 24hr test drive is a joke.

Considering you have to sleep, its a bit pathetic.

The idea of buying an EV is a massive decision that I am sure many people are considering, and the slightest blip could make them stay with ICE. Surely you'd need at least a full weekend anyway, so you can experience the battery going flat and needing a recharge?

Someone taking a 24hr tesr drive might not even get to plug it in for a charge.

What you say makes a lot of sense. I'd try and arrange it for a Friday evening after work so at least I could have the Saturday morning/afternoon to give it a proper whirl. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'm I kind of in same position

Grant only on new not second hand, also free install only on new, crowd on adverts say they will install on second hand if you buy off them, ecocars

Everyone saying the 30kWh Leaf but from your spec if you can get decent price for 24kWh I would go for it. That is what I am looking out for

have a look at SV and SVE. I am going to try and get SVE just for leather. Believe me I have 2 kids and another on way, when they are firing bottles and food around car leather is a must, milk and material dont mix...

My plan is maybe buy new, run the thing into the ground and then swap. I will keep my other car so I can swap that when I feel like a change.

I cannot understand the charge points at all so that is why I am leaning towards new just so I get Electric Ireland to install and I dont really have to bother about it. It seems to cost about 1k to get company to install. Otherwise it looks like you have to try and buy bits & pieces and get someone to install. The pure lazy version of me would rather just someone to do it

As you have old car you will get 4k trade in against 30kWh Leaf or Ioniq, but if you go 24kWh Leaf you will get 5k

My next step is test drive, the garage are pushing for a deposit first but will see, my plan was to take out on Friday and then drop back on a Monday. I want them to supply a cable so I can plug in at home. I dont plan on spending weekend driving around charge points.

I priced around on Ioniq and couldn't get any sort of deal...the sales person wouldn't even bother trying to do a deal. New car so they expect to sell easier than Leaf. New Leaf sales are slowing down so the Nissan dealers will be throwing some money at you. One guy rang me yesterday and dropped 1200 just as it was last day of month

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If going new, go for an Ioniq. You will get one for 25-26k all in.

However, it sounds like you're testing the water to a certain extent (like myself) and might even be a candidate for going with 2 EVs in the future if the first one works for you and yours.

If I was you (and I am in a similar situation (only with way more kids :D) I would suggest going with a used Leaf. You don't need a 30kw version with your description of requirements and will get a great 24kw for thousands less. Ideally go for a 6.6kw OBC, but it's a pain in the @ss finding them and confirming them. This is necessary if you want fast home charging. Set your budget and stick to it. It's too easy to go over budget when you have extra available. Put the extra aside for your second EV next year. That's my plan anyway.

The only issue with second hand is will you be able to sell your own car? You don't mention are you putting any value against it?

I worked out, the price for new versus price for second hand. Trade in value for new v second hand included, add 1k for charge point.

Then very rough, divide new by 7 and second hand by 5/4depending on year. You would be surprised there isn't a whole pile in it

This might not be best way but I couldn't work out how else to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

A guy I know recently bought an ioniq, he was very disappointed with the real range, out of the show room the range was about 170 and that then dropped to 130 or so in the first week. Brought back to garage and asked if he had a dud, but the dealer said most of a lot lower range than the 200k.

I dont know enough about all of this myself but from what I've read up on this are you better off holding your powder until the 60kw range come on the market over the next 6 to 12 months?

// gary

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The only issue with second hand is will you be able to sell your own car? You don't mention are you putting any value against it?

I worked out, the price for new versus price for second hand. Trade in value for new v second hand included, add 1k for charge point.

Then very rough, divide new by 7 and second hand by 5/4depending on year. You would be surprised there isn't a whole pile in it

This might not be best way but I couldn't work out how else to do it

Toyota Carinas go for under €500. The OP would get cracking value going new, because it's essentially €14k off the full price. But, depreciation will hit very hard within a year.

Second hand is where the real value is at for what he says he needs. But that's up to the OP. I very nearly ordered a new Ioniq (and would have if the sales people were half interested in selling one) but decided to go second hand now and keep some cash to put toward another EV in about a year.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    Toyota Carinas go for under €500. The OP would get cracking value going new, because it's essentially €14k off the full price. But, depreciation will hit very hard within a year.

Second hand is where the real value is at for what he says he needs. But that's up to the OP. I very nearly ordered a new Ioniq (and would have if the sales people were half interested in selling one) but decided to go second hand now and keep some cash to put toward another EV in about a year.

I agree about the Ioniq. The sellers are f**king useless. I contacted every Hyundai garage in Dublin and none of them where interested in doing anything for me.

One sent me a video alright, but was a couple of k more expensive with trade in than any other dealer. Seriously they need to review there sales tactics. Like not been rude would be a great start

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

OP, given your implied daily range you are prime for a well priced 2nd hand 24kWh Leaf model from the UK, I would not be concerned about your current car, with respect it's not worth much so you will not be losing much by having it on the driveway waiting for it to sell after you've got your Leaf.
    Look to a UK import, think ~€600+ for a home install point (that's what mine will cost).
    Although you could get a great €5k scrappage deal you will still suffer high depreciation on ANY car never mind an EV.
    The Leaf is a proven vehicle this past 6years, the Ioniq is not yet proven.
    You can get all the above for a considerable amount under your Budget.

Just look on autotrader, go for Acenta model minimum and 2014 as the minimum year, do not look at any ad that mentions flex as this is in relation to battery rental and a no-no.

By all means if you have the Budget you can buy new but from a value perspective I'd go as above and have a nice holiday with some of the money you've budgeted

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

A guy I know recently bought an ioniq, he was very disappointed with the real range, out of the show room the range was about 170 and that then dropped to 130 or so in the first week. Brought back to garage and asked if he had a dud, but the dealer said most of a lot lower range than the 200k.

I dont know enough about all of this myself but from what I've read up on this are you better off holding your powder until the 60kw range come on the market over the next 6 to 12 months?

// gary

We're getting around 150km between charges, and that's with us using the battery between 94% and 12%.

We're living in suburban Dublin and most of our use is commuting in and out of the city centre.

I'd say if you pushing it 130 km/h then you're really going to drop the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

liamog wrote: »
    that's with us using the battery between 94 and 12.

Do you mean charge %?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

s.welstead wrote: »
    Do you mean charge %?

I do, I've added % signs to the post :D

Lol, I was thinking speed but that didn't make any sense. Any reason you don't charge to 100%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

with your usage i would go with a 63 or 64 plate (late 13 or 14) 24kw leaf and put the rest of the money away for a rainy day, or spend it on holidays, or something like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you're apprehensive about UK import then perhaps NI is an option if you are close to border, then it would just be case of seeing it in person and a less stressful drive home

http://www.usedcarsni.com/search_results.php?search_type=1&make=20&fuel_type=0&age_from=2014&price_from=0&user_type=0&model=81392030&trans_type=0&age_to=0&price_to=0&mileage_to=20000&keywords=&distance_enabled=0&distance_miles=50&distance_postcode=&=&car_class=

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

slave1 wrote: »
    If you're apprehensive about UK import then perhaps NI is an option if you are close to border, then it would just be case of seeing it in person and a less stressful drive home

http://www.usedcarsni.com/search_results.php?search_type=1&make=20&fuel_type=0&age_from=2014&price_from=0&user_type=0&model=81392030&trans_type=0&age_to=0&price_to=0&mileage_to=20000&keywords=&distance_enabled=0&distance_miles=50&distance_postcode=&=&car_class=

OP, don't get sucked in by the low cost of 'flex' cars. These are leased battery versions.

Hi all,

thanks again for the posts - plenty of food for thought.

I hadn't considered the fact we are probably good candidates for being a 2 EV household over the coming years.

With that in mind, I'm quite taken by the advice of going cheaper 2nd hand (e.g. maybe the 24kw Leaf, c. 2015 reg, and have no problem going to NI/England to purchase if it makes sense - the lack of VRT is nice). This would allow us to get into the EV space, cover off my commute and local driving, and minimise costs. I seen in other posts here about the Leaf battery device (spy?) & app so it has given me some confidence I won't buy a 'dud'. The SVE would be preferred for the kid i'm thinking.

This approach allows us to track the EV market progress, e.g. Leaf II, next gen Ioniq, etc., and in 2 - 3 years when we want to replace the Suzuki if the EV experience is good and the market offerings suffice, we will go 2x EV.

the only capital outlay aside from the car seems to be the home charger. it looks like the delta between initial depreciation if i were to go new, and the 2nd hand, would more than cover the installation of the charger.

again if i have missed a trick here, i'd be grateful for opinions.

(re. the Toyota i'm ascribing no value to it, in fact the scrappage would be handy to get it off my hands. I'll just scrap/sell through DD. if anyone wants, feel free to pm :D).

I'm still going to test drive both the new Leaf & Ioniq to get a sense of them, test their boot practicality and so on.

Re. the home charger, if i'm looking for the 32amp version, can anyone recommend a supplier/fitter in the north Dublin city area?

• Advertisement

You're on the right track there. a 2014/15 Leaf would be the best choice and I am basing that off what I am doing myself in similar circumstances. I plan to pull the trigger today. In a year, you will know what you need to know and can decide to buy again, replacing the second ICE. It might even be another Leaf.

If you go to Airside, you can test a Leaf and Ioniq from buildings right beside eachother :)

I can't recommend an installer, as I don't yet have a charger, or EV. I plan to install the charger myself and get an electrician to do the connection.

To get another view, I'm going brand spanking new :P

Have test drive booked for tomorrow morning over weekend.

When I looked at second hand and took into consideration trade in etc I wasn't actually saving much by going second hand.

Also I would then has hassle of trying to get point installed. I don't have a minute to myself so that would be disaster trying to arrange,

You need to shop around, I originally wanted a Hyundai but gave up trying to deal with the shower of muppets selling them. I work in sale myself and dealing with poor sales people really does my head in....case in point, garage that does Nissan & Hynundai. Trade in value for my car was 4k better with Nissan:confused:

So I started on Leaf. You need to know how to bargain. I live in area and within 20 mins I think I have 4 Nissan garages. One garage was 4k more for the exact same car. Even thou that garage gave me the best trade in value.

Also throw out odd comment like "I know new Leaf out next year", "is the 24kWh battery not end of life" etc etc :D

Also most people saying second hand is cheaper, but in reality, you need to take all costs into consideration. So if you are bringing in yourself from UK then consider. Travel costs, time costs etc. Then you need to include 1k on top of price for charger point. All the better if you get cheaper but 1k is best point.

If not bringing in yourself then you need to get company, when I ran the numbers it was €1,557 per year for new and €1400 if I went 152. So €155 a year for 2 year older car? not much in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

garage that does Nissan & Hynundai. Trade in value for my car was 4k better with Nissan:confused:

What surprises me is that that surprised you - working in sales yourself :p

What a garage offers you for your old car is irrelevant, you need to only look at the total cost to change to the new car, incl all the options you need, on the road. Then compare the 2 quotes. And go back to the dealers to negotiate, pitch them against each other, etc.

Taking into consideration there too that there is a lot more room for discounts / trade ins on the Leaf as the RRP is far too high for what it is, the model is 7 years old and about to be replaced. I'd say some bargains could or should be had on the Leaf, particularly the now (pretty much) obsolete 24kWh models. One of these could be had about 6 months ago with metallic paint for just under €20k on the road, who knows, maybe for about €18k or so now? That's a lot of cheap to own brand new family car for very little money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Also most people saying second hand is cheaper, but in reality, you need to take all costs into consideration. So if you are bringing in yourself from UK then consider. Travel costs, time costs etc. Then you need to include 1k on top of price for charger point. All the better if you get cheaper but 1k is best point.

Flight and ferry is €200
    Chargepoint bought and installed by own electrician is about €700.

Round it up to €1000 if you wish but thats the max that going to the UK will cost you relative to buying new.

It takes 24hrs over and back so there isnt a need to take time off work or book hotels etc but obviously it is more work to source in the UK and have the hassle of getting it and VRT. Of course, rocking up to an Irish dealer and getting out your cheque book is much much easier but also much more expensive so its horses for courses.

Without doubt it is cheaper to go to the UK. I'm not sure how you got your numbers. One possibility is that you are writing off the car over a very long period (6+ years) and so the depreciation difference isnt as much in that case. Fair enough if that is the plan as you get the full benefit of the warranty in that case.

Each to their own I suppose, ultimately you need to be happy with your own decision for your circumstances, not someone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

kceire wrote: »
    OP, don't get sucked in by the low cost of 'flex' cars. These are leased battery versions.

How does it work if you bring a leased battery version leaf in Ireland? Would you have to buy the battery off, or keep paying per month in the UK?

How does it work if you bring a leased battery version leaf in Ireland? Would you have to buy the battery off, or keep paying per month in the UK?

You can buy out the lease.

If you didnt and brought it here anyway... I dont know what would happen. I'd suspect it would be messy. You might need a UK bank account, for instance. I dont know really. Not sure anyone has done it as everyone runs away from flex cars now.

Lol, I was thinking speed but that didn't make any sense. Any reason you don't charge to 100%?

Cat stops at 94% on the fast charger and at that point its still pulling around 12kW.

We'd still don't have the home one installed due to on street parking complications

I'd try give it an extended run on an SCP every weekend or two just to balance the cells.

You're brave though relying on the chargers, they will let you down at some point. Can you even use a granny in the meantime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

When I looked at second hand and took into consideration trade in etc I wasn't actually saving much by going second hand.

How did you work that out?

There's a 151 SVE Leaf with 12k miles in ElectricAutos in Kildare for €15,500, and afaik they'll throw in a home charger.
    A 171 Leaf SVE is €23k with scrappage.
    I make that a €6,500 difference, which is a pretty big saving.

• Advertisement

I'd try give it an extended run on an SCP every weekend or two just to balance the cells.

You're brave though relying on the chargers, they will let you down at some point. Can you even use a granny in the meantime?

That's the plan, we're doing one a week on the scp to balance cells and cover the 12v
    There's four fast chargers we can use 20km from the house, so for the moment its not so bad.

I'd say we're looking at early April before everything is in pace for our charger install.

Did you overcome the planning issue, liamog? Please do share as it will greatly help other people who have no driveway on their property.
    KCross wrote: »
    If you didnt and brought it here anyway... I dont know what would happen.

I wonder too. If you took the SIM out, surely they couldn't brick it OTA? Anyone with big cojones want to give it a try? :D

Soarer wrote: »
    How did you work that out?

There's a 151 SVE Leaf with 12k miles in ElectricAutos in Kildare for €15,500, and afaik they'll throw in a home charger.
    A 171 Leaf SVE is €23k with scrappage.
    I make that a €6,500 difference, which is a pretty big saving.

Very defensive in here aren't we all? :confused:

I have not bought anything yet, I was just giving the OP a different point of view. Is that not allowed in this forum?
    My maths.....(Please note I am not complaining at all about Electric Auto, he has been an absolute gent and I would highly recommend him)

Trade in price for 151 is €16,500 on Electric Auto. He doesn't throw in charger. I asked. From Phil himself it would be 600-700 with a discount from him. I would need to arrange my own electrician. To get company to install 900, so 1k is good figure I think.

So that is 17,500.

Brand new is costing me just over 10k to swap

The 151 will be costing me 7k to swap.

So for a bit over 3k I am getting a brand new car. Plus I don't have to worry about installation of charge points etc. It is all handled for me.

Everyone fires out about going to UK and I agree good value. But I have 3 kids and a job which means I don't have the time. Simple as that. I also need to trade in a car.

To try and sell my own car, then find a car in UK, import it in and then buy charge point and get someone to arrange install is far too time consuming...

Also I work in a sales job in Ireland, I bit*h and moan when my customers go behind my back and get stuff from UK instead of buying in Ireland, so to give back in terms of tax, jobs etc is also important to me:D

Very defensive in here aren't we all? :confused:

I have not bought anything yet, I was just giving the OP a different point of view. Is that not allowed in this forum?
    My maths.....(Please note I am not complaining at all about Electric Auto, he has been an absolute gent and I would highly recommend him)

Trade in price for 151 is €16,500 on Electric Auto. He doesn't throw in charger. I asked. From Phil himself it would be 600-700 with a discount from him. I would need to arrange my own electrician. To get company to install 900, so 1k is good figure I think.

So that is 17,500.

So for a bit over 3k I am getting a brand new car. Plus I don't have to worry about installation of charge points etc. It is all handled for me.

Everyone fires out about going to UK and I agree good value. But I have 3 kids and a job which means I don't have the time. Simple as that. I also need to trade in a car.

To try and sell my own car, then find a car in UK, import it in and then buy charge point and get someone to arrange install is far too time consuming...

Also I work in a sales job in Ireland, I bit*h and moan when my customers go behind my back and get stuff from UK instead of buying in Ireland, so to give back in terms of tax, jobs etc is also important to me:D

Comparing to my research.

New Option

Hyundai Ioniq (paddy spec version) with metallic paint :pac:
    Trade in 2003 Merc E200k as scrappage (€4k).
    On the road price €25,500.
    Upgrade to proper home charger €500.
    Total €26,000

Used Option (which I am choosing)

I will land a 141 Leaf Tekna 6.6 for €13,000 (inc travel costs).
    Cost of home charger installed €1,000 (your figure). This will be an upgraded one though.
    Total €14,000.

Sell my own car for 1k means I am on the road for 13k, a saving of 50%.

No need for a 151, because all you're getting there is a newer plate. It's still used and what matters is the mileage. The 141 cars will have the Gen 1.5 batteries. I didn't compare a new Tekna (SVE) leaf, but I am sure the figures are similar to the new Ioniq.

I also work and have 5 kids. I am giving up a Saturday to make good savings going to the UK.

Comparing to my research.

New Option

Hyundai Ioniq (paddy spec version) with metallic paint :pac:
    Trade in 2003 Merc E200k as scrappage (€4k).
    On the road price €25,500.
    Upgrade to proper home charger €500.
    Total €26,000

Used Option (which I am choosing)

I will land a 141 Leaf Tekna 6.6 for €13,000 (inc travel costs).
    Cost of home charger installed €1,000 (your figure). This will be an upgraded one though.
    Total €14,000.

No need for a 151, because all you're getting there is a newer plate. It's still used and what matters is the mileage. The 141 cars will have the Gen 1.5 batteries. I didn't compare a new Tekna (SVE) leaf, but I am sure the figures are similar to the new Ioniq.

I also work and have 5 kids. I am giving up a Saturday to make good savings going to the UK.

But you are comparing an Ioniq with a Leaf? :confused:

Ioniq is brand new out and no discounts been given out by dealers. Bit of pointless exercise in my opinion if your not comparing like with like

While your at it compare buying a BMW here with a Micra in the UK, I think the Micra might work out cheaper :-)

Ioniq is brand new out and no discounts been given out by dealers. Bit of pointless exercise in my opinion if your not comparing like with like

While your at it compare buying a BMW here with a Micra in the UK, I think the Micra might work out cheaper :-)

A new Leaf 30kWh with metallic is practically the same price as the Ioniq so I think the figures would be the same?

• Advertisement

A new Leaf 30kWh with metallic is practically the same price as the Ioniq so I think the figures would be the same?

I am confused now, OP is not buying a 30kWh. I am not buying a 30kWh battery car

The poster goz83 is buying a 141 so I guess it is not a 30kWh.

I done an actually comparison of a Leaf 24 kWh SVE new versus used car, exact same spec.

If someone has changed the meaning of the word comparison then I am wrong. But as far as I know to do a comparison you would pick the exact same car

Keep your own car and you'll have a saving of 100% ;)

The Acenta version of a brand new 2017 Leaf will grant and scrappage is the same price as the Ioniq, so my comparison is solid enough with room for a few hundred euros. Hardly the difference you suggest.

The Acenta version of a brand new 2017 Leaf will grant and scrappage is the same price as the Ioniq, so my comparison is solid enough with room for a few hundred euros. Hardly the difference you suggest.

Sorry it isn't.

To edit, I am not saying that buying in UK is bad, I am not saying buying new is best thing. I was just giving the OP a different option.

The prices I included are real life. What I could potentially buy today, well tomorrow now as everyone gone now.

I did mention I have not bought, I might still buy from a used seller in Ireland. I just will not be going to UK and buying. If you feel you are getting a great deal in UK then that is great. Best of luck with your car.

My point is that not everyone has to go to UK to get a deal, you should try and haggle with dealers in Ireland. The person I deal with mentioned boards and other forums when I met him. So they are aware a lot of people are buying in UK.

One last point, buying in Ireland also means your money is going back into the Irish economy. This of course helps with jobs etc which I think everyone can agree is good....

Buying in UK means that revenue is going out of the country. This is not any good for anyone to be honest

If someone has changed the meaning of the word comparison then I am wrong. But as far as I know to do a comparison you would pick the exact same car

Very defensive in here aren't we all! :)

When it comes to figures there is always multiple ways to dice them so I'm not going to argue with you but I do still think you are underestimating the savings of importing.

You are happy with your figures so best of luck to you. You're buying an EV so thats positive!

I think your other reasons for buying new, apart from money, are also good reasons... more warranty, less hassle, buy "Irish" and the simple joy of having it new. They all have intangible value too.

I wish you well.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Keep your own car and you'll have a saving of 100% ;)

:D

But then I have to pay more for that filthy fossil fuel stuff the savages are using these days.
    Sorry it isn't.

It is though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-sv-30-kwh-with-6-6kw-charger/14728854

Go for Tekna spec and its bigger bills.

I'm also watching Sterling slowly tumble. I have saved about €250 so far in a couple of days doing nothing

And I think it is fair to say that if you want a low spec Leaf, you can expect a savage deal on a brand new one from a dealer here. And you'd be largely shielded from big annual depreciation, particularly if you intend to keep the car say 5 or 6 years. In fact, how much can a €18k Leaf depreciate per year in 6 years? No more than just €2k per year, or €12k over 6 years

If you want a high spec, 30kWh Leaf, buy it new here and it will depreciate €10k in the first year alone :eek:

Very defensive in here aren't we all! :)

When it comes to figures there is always multiple ways to dice them so I'm not going to argue with you but I do still think you are underestimating the savings of importing.

You are happy with your figures so best of luck to you. You're buying an EV so thats positive!

I think your other reasons for buying new, apart from money, are also good reasons... more warranty, less hassle, buy "Irish" and the simple joy of having it new. They all have intangible value too.

I wish you well.

Sorry not trying to be defensive. Sorry if I came across that way.

I was replying to a post that made out I was losing out 6500 by buying a new car. All I was saying based on the costs I have been given I would save no where near that

I am new to all this but I just see in every thread no matter what the person is looking for the automatic response seems to be buy in UK.

I am trying to make the point that you can also deal in Ireland. You need to be prepared to haggle a bit but some of the dealers seems to want to do a deal.

I think I mentioned before, but the car I am looking at was 4-5k more expensive in another Nissan garage which was less than 10 miles away from the one I could potentially buy in. I tried to haggle with them and was told they can't sell at a loss :confused: so I walked out.....

If I was buying at there prices I would 100% agree with some of the comments on here

Sorry not trying to be defensive. Sorry if I came across that way.

I was replying to a post that made out I was losing out 6500 by buying a new car. All I was saying based on the costs I have been given I would save no where near that

I am new to all this but I just see in every thread no matter what the person is looking for the automatic response seems to be buy in UK.

I am trying to make the point that you can also deal in Ireland. You need to be prepared to haggle a bit but some of the dealers seems to want to do a deal.

I think I mentioned before, but the car I am looking at was 4-5k more expensive in another Nissan garage which was less than 10 miles away from the one I could potentially buy in. I tried to haggle with them and was told they can't sell at a loss :confused: so I walked out.....

If I was buying at there prices I would 100% agree with some of the comments on here

Well there's alot to be said for jumping into a brand new car. If you don't mind the considerable depreciation, it's not so bad. I was willing to take the hit, but the main issue was the poor calibre of sales reps we have here. Lazy, rude, ignorant and low on vehicle knowledge. I come from a background in sales and I always treated every customer with respect and let them know I was available to help them, or soon would be if I was with another customer. Over here, in the showrooms, they are sitting in their offices, eating their pencils. I choose to spend my money where the rep chooses to get up off their lazy ar$e. I'm all for buying Irish and all, but keep in mind that most of the used Leafs in Irish garages are imported from the UK or from Japan (and you're stuck with Japanese buttons)

That was me that gave those figures, and it was you that got your back up about things. I never said you were losing out on anything. My figures were comparing a new SVE spec Leaf with the 151 in Electric Autos.
    Can't see how I could be defensive when I've no skin in the game. I was genuinely wondering how it wasn't costing you much more to buy new than secondhand.

I still don't understand your figures though.

So that is 17,500.

Going by your figures, your car is worth €10k?
    So €7k plus your car will get you a 151 top spec Leaf with 11k miles, with a charger installed?
    If the above is correct, that means that €10k plus your car will get a basic spec Leaf with a charger installed?

Or am I getting those figures wrong?

That's not being defensive. It's a genuine question.

That was me that gave those figures, and it was you that got your back up about things. I never said you were losing out on anything. My figures were comparing a new SVE spec Leaf with the 151 in Electric Autos.

As mentioned I wasn't trying to be defensive. I was just trying to give the OP a different point of view
    I still don't understand your figures though.

I didn't really give exact numbers for a reason, I haven't bought anything yet so deal is not finished:D
    Going by your figures, your car is worth €10k?

I have been provided different valuations for my current car depending on route to purchase
    So €7k plus your car will get you a 151 top spec Leaf with 11k miles, with a charger installed?

Correct
    If the above is correct, that means that €10k plus your car will get a basic spec Leaf with a charger installed?

Incorrect
    Or am I getting those figures wrong?

Figures are wrong

Can't see how my figures are wrong when you said the total price for the 151 with charger is €17k, and it'd cost you €7k to change.

Then again, maybe you could stop being so elusive. Nobody knows you or any potential deal you may have struck. But you could be helping others out if you've been able to swing an angle that nobody else has thought about.

Can't see how my figures are wrong when you said the total price for the 151 with charger is €17k, and it'd cost you €7k to change.

I agreed that figure was correct

Couldn't be bothered with you anymore.

You say you're giving the OP a different point of view, but you're not. All your doing is vaguely explaining a deal that you might be able to do.

Well done.

Couldn't be bothered with you anymore.

You say you're giving the OP a different point of view, but you're not. All your doing is vaguely explaining a deal that you might be able to do.

Well done.

Sorry I wasn't aware I had to list out the exact penny of my potential transaction...if I buy I will release all the numbers if anyone is that interested....I know I am not overly interested in what someone else pays....as long as they are happy with there transaction

If the OP wants more information they are free to PM me

I think I did offer the OP a different point of view. Everyone else just pointed to UK and I have just said you can do a deal in Ireland

You seem to be the only one that is hung up on exact numbers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement