Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Order at this year's St Patricks Day Parade

Options
  • 01-03-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

According to a story in the Waterford Mail Mayor John Hearne (SF) has invited the Orange Order to March in this years St Patrick's Day Parade.

Initially i tought this was a Waterford Whispers News story but sadly not!

Personally I don't think such a bigoted hate promoting organisation will be welcomed with any warmth here.

(Sorry on mobile so can only post the article as an attachment)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Jambo wrote: »
    According to a story in the Waterford Mail Mayor John Hearne (SF) has invited the Orange Order to March in this years St Patrick's Day Parade.

Initially i tought this was a Waterford Whispers News story but sadly not!

Personally I don't think such a bigoted hate promoting organisation will be welcomed with any warmth here.

(Sorry on mobile so can only post the article as an attachment)

Totally agree with you. The further north those bigots stay will be a relief for all of us. Was it not the Shinners that stirred up the trouble when the love ulster gang tried to march in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Probably down to meet their brothers in arms in the fight against boundary changes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

They should be made more then welcome to march in Waterford.

Who would have ever thought of The Orange Order marching in a St. Patricks Day parade!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Who would have ever thought of The Orange Order marching in a St. Patricks Day parade!

Would you think the same if it was the National Front? Pegida? The KKK or some religious extremists?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is this the same guy that previously did a PR thing with a scientology linked anti drug group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hearne is a grade A idiot for start. As I have stated previously, his Facebook page is embarrassing and mindboggling at times. He preys on the venerable and let’s just say, the “uneducated”. The rhetoric and hate he sprouts is a disgrace. When he was summoned to the head office of Sinn Fein in regards to the Roma gang dispute in Waterford I thought he may pull his neck in. I know the metropolitan Mayor is a plastic mayor but this guy is representing the City has been an embarrassment from day dot! And to think with the rumours going about that John Halligan may not run in the next General Election, Sinn Fein are considering running a second candidate and John Hearne maybe a representative for Waterford! Jesus wept! [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

In fairness, as much as I despise the Orange Order, DUP and general hard-line unionists, the fact is that unless we learn to get along with them then we will never have a united Ireland. The bigger problem is probably having them get along with us to be honest.

This is a good move by Hearne, if that's what his motive is, but I can't see them getting a good reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Agree with deiseen, hatred and bigotry are for the past, I would love to see them welcomed down but it would probably be hijacked by some republican nutters living in the past full of hatred and bigotry as bad as your most rabid unionist nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Max Powers wrote: »
    Agree with deiseen, hatred and bigotry are for the past, I would love to see them welcomed down but it would probably be hijacked by some republican nutters living in the past full of hatred and bigotry as bad as your most rabid unionist nutter.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Max Powers wrote: »
    I can't fault those people who have strong feelings towards hard line unionists, the hatred towards them is completely justifiable in every respect. BUT, it's true, we need to rise above that and unless we can make them feel welcome here then they will never want to be part of a United Ireland in any form.

• Advertisement

Jambo wrote: »
    Would you think the same if it was the National Front? Pegida? The KKK or some religious extremists?

They're not extreme. They just have opinions that you don't agree with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Will the 'barracks st brass band' in a receprical arrangement be invited to play their flutes etc up north at one of the many marches on the 'glorious 12' in July.....and if they are will they partake...?
    I for one would think they should...as has been mentioned already...,,it is these sort of gestures that may ultimately end the bigotry that exists

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Funny thing is, the metro mayor has no involvement in the organisation of the parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Who really cares in this day and age?

If they want to walk down the street in their costumes, let them. The less we care the less significant they are.

Just another band in the parade. All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

So where are they putting their bonfire to burn tricolours and effigies of the Pope?

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Parachutes wrote:
    So where are they putting their bonfire to burn tricolours and effigies of the Pope?

Woohoo bonfires are back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Who really cares in this day and age?

If they want to walk down the street in their costumes, let them. The less we care the less significant they are.

Just another band in the parade. All welcome.
    would they March in a parade to celebrate ireland and irish culture (with all our ethic minorities that normally take part) and their hostility to the LBBT community aswell??

Those of what were alive to see the blaggarding they got up to around Drumcree can't say they are just another band??

But if they come along,and the council votes to let them (imo they should have a say here)....then it should be allowed go ahead peacefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I'd rather not see a protestant supremacist organisation marching in our St Patricks Day Parade.

The orange order are not the ones who brought peace to Northern Ireland, They're the ones who did not want to make concessions to Catholics. They continue to oppose the Good Friday agreement. They also opposed the Irish language bill.

I'd rather see a protestant supremacist organisation marching in our St Patricks Day Parade.

The orange order are the ones who brought peace to Northern Ireland, They're the ones who wanted to make concessions to Catholics. They continue to support the Good Friday agreement. They also support the Irish language bill.

A few amendments there just to put things right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I can't see it happening since their members all have to swear an oath to have nothing to do with Catholics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

A few amendments there just to put things right!

Go on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I feel very conflicted about the possibility.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No way those fcukers should be allowed march here in the south, before we know it we'll have to setup a parades commission to regulate them. I don't see any of the charming orange order inviting us to march with them between April and the peak of July 12th. Jesus do we have to bend over backwards for everyone in this bloody country when no-one does it for us. After all that's happened were still a country of forelock tugging cap touchers.

I feel very conflicted about the possibility.

It just makes me angry tbh. I've had a few dealings in the North through work and will have for this year and I'll be honest they hate the sight of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

McGaggs wrote: »
    I can't see it happening since their members all have to swear an oath to have nothing to do with Catholics.

It is ture the old saying....you can be kicked out for marrying a catholic....but not for murdering one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

jca wrote: »
    No way those fcukers should be allowed march here in the south, before we know it we'll have to setup a parades commission to regulate them. I don't see any of the charming orange order inviting us to march with them between April and the peak of July 12th. Jesus do we have to bend over backwards for everyone in this bloody country when no-one does it for us. After all that's happened were still a country of forelock tugging cap touchers.

Since when did St Patricks day become a republic/catholic only thing?

They were born on the island so have as much right as anyone to join the parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

It just makes me angry tbh. I've had a few dealings in the North through work and will have for this year and I'll be honest they hate the sight of us.

It must be you they dont like. I have dealings with NI also and 99% dont give a **** anymore. Its a very small minority that keep the bigotry and hatered alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

You're God damn right. Anybody in the South thinking that even your average loyalist in Portadown, Ballymena, East Belfast or The Waterside will just allow Brexit to annex the North with the South is dreaming. There is serious trouble on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

On the one hand, I can understand the desire to put bitterness and the past behind us, on the other hand its the Orange ****ing Order, a group set up and sworn to maintain Protestant Ascendancy, linked with loyalist paramilitary groups. No point in going deeply in to this but I just can't seem to figure a way it would sit well with me, even though I want to be open minded to it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

prinzeugen wrote: »
    It must be you they dont like. I have dealings with NI also and 99% dont give a **** anymore. Its a very small minority that keep the bigotry and hatered alive.

Hardly 99℅ As the Paul Brady song goes, but when the wine seeps through the façade, it's nothing but the same old story. People who I thought would know better have told me they hate people from the free state. It's been drilled into them for so long now that they don't see anything wrong with it.

Advertisement