Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving old board..... Owner diy circuits

Options
  • 01-03-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I am wiring an extension and it's all straight forward. But the old fuse board is hanging off the wall with the tails from meter visible coming up the wall. From my looking around the house the owner has done plenty of diy shifty wiring including a shower and a cooker. I'm raging I started the job because it's messy and owner won't rewire house. I don't want to replace the old board and install a new board because the guys diy wiring plus earth's missing from some circuits and I don't want to cert a replacement. Am I better off putting in a small sub enclosure board for the extension and just keep the existing board as is.
    Im use to usually doing new builds and just wondering if anyone could advise as I get confused with new regs and what's the safest thing to do covering yourself nowadays.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

If the wiring is that dodgy the responsibility is on you as a " competent professional" to inform the house holder. If you notice anything unsafe have a "duty of care" to do something about it. If the householder doesn't want to do anything issue a notice of potential hazard. That's your arse covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jasushaw

ptogher14 wrote: »
    If the wiring is that dodgy the responsibility is on you as a " competent professional" to inform the house holder. If you notice anything unsafe have a "duty of care" to do something about it. If the householder doesn't want to do anything issue a notice of potential hazard. That's your arse covered.

Thanks for that.
    Yeah the owner wont heed warnings and he doesnt want any EXTRAS costs.
    Thanks just always cautious about old places

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

If the owner isn't willing to pay for the extra works to get the wiring up to scratch then you issue a notice of hazard. Give one copy to the owner and one copy to RECI

EDIT: Answered above already

Advertisement