Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know of a landlord that accepts the HAP?

• 01-03-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I have a friend that has a 5 year old daughter and is in a bit of a situation..... Without going to much into it she has no choice but to move in with her grandparents after being forced to leave her mothers house... She has been to the council and has been approved for the HAP payment but can't find anywhere that will accept it. I took her to loads of viewings and all goes well right up until she says she's a HAP tenant, I know they can't point blank refuse but they can just let the place to someone else or just ignore her emails and calls completely, even estate agents are doing this! She a genuine girl that needs a place urgently for her and her daughter.

So my question, does anyone know of a property that would accept the HAP around bray, greystones, Newtown, Kilcoole or surrounding areas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That is illegal. She should goto Threshold about it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mystified17

I know! But unfortunately they don't actually come out and say they don't accept it. They just don't rent to her because there's loads of others wanting the same place, any place really. Must've viewed around 20 places at this stage all ignoring emails or saying it's gone or some other excuse. Very annoying 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

How can you prove it's illegal as I presume the ea aren't actually telling her " I'm not renting it to you because you receive welfare"

hawkelady wrote: »

How can you prove it's illegal as I presume the ea aren't actually telling her " I'm not renting it to you because you receive welfare"

No they're not! But you can see it on their faces, they don't want the hassle. A very well known estate agents in greystones ignored the email and text my friend sent saying she would love to take it and outlined her financial position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

If she is looking in Bray Sa bhaile may be able to offer her some help. The council should be able to give her the number

• Advertisement

bisset wrote: »
    If she is looking in Bray Sa bhaile may be able to offer her some help. The council should be able to give her the number

She's looking there. Thank you!

Advertisement