Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Wilton

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

How they managed to build 2 supermarkets only yards apart with the shopping centre next door i'll never know. I was out there on Monday and it does look the part in fairness, but was it pure coincidence that 2 petrol stations became German supermarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,587 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wish I had a Lidl/Aldi near me when I was going to C.I.T. Mainly just to have a root around the baskets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Apogee

How they managed to build 2 supermarkets only yards apart with the shopping centre next door i'll never know. I was out there on Monday and it does look the part in fairness, but was it pure coincidence that 2 petrol stations became German supermarkets?

FYI...
    The site was sold by Esso in the 2000s, via CBRE, with a proviso that it could not be used as a filling station: this put a Tesco filling station interest out of the frame.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/lidl-follows-aldi-to-wilton-347916.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Brown envelopes from Lidl more than likely. Same story with the granted store for Douglas. Traffic is going to be manic.

Apogee wrote: »

Yeah I seen that.

I meant how did 2 former petrol stations so close become supermarkets.

• Advertisement

Brown envelopes from Lidl more than likely. Same story with the granted store for Douglas. Traffic is going to be manic.

I tend to agree with you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

It's the 14th of September I overheard Aldi staff saying haha.

Lidl bakery >>>>>>>>> Aldi bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

Opening this Thursday according to lidl on Facebook . Here's hoping for loads of 10 off 50 opening vouchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

It's the 14th of September I overheard Aldi staff saying haha.

Lidl bakery >>>>>>>>> Aldi bakery

Do Aldi even have a bakery?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do Aldi even have a bakery?
    In the newer stores such as Bishopstown.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    In the newer stores such as Bishopstown.

Is it any good?
    I heard great things about the Lidl one but to me it was just a standard supermarket bakery. Our local Aldi is the planning process but somebody objected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Is it any good?

Lidl has a huge selection of Central Europe type of breads - dense and heavy. Very few local receipts. Which is AWESOME...

Aldi bakery seems to be more local, with very light breads. I don't like it at all.

Is it any good?
    I heard great things about the Lidl one but to me it was just a standard supermarket bakery. Our local Aldi is the planning process but somebody objected.

Aldi are building new Cork stores? :confused:

Aldi are building new Cork stores? :confused:

It was a store extension.
    They're planning on extending a few stores around the county to revamp stores and include a bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

Sorry to highjack a Lidl Wilton thread, but does anyone know if the new Aldi (that is rumoured for the former Eurospar site in Passage West/ Rochestown) is still going ahead? The place looks as if there is nothing happening there at the moment. Passage West really needs a decent supermarket in the area, Eurospar is missed badly.

cold case wrote: »
    Sorry to highjack a Lidl Wilton thread, but does anyone know if the new Aldi (that is rumoured for the former Eurospar site in Passage West/ Rochestown) is still going ahead? The place looks as if there is nothing happening there at the moment. Passage West really needs a decent supermarket in the area, Eurospar is missed badly.

This is news to me.

How long is it since Jerry Collins Skoda shut up shop there?

This is news to me.

How long is it since Jerry Collins Skoda shut up shop there?

Well, you're going back a while there, cause I've been shopping at eurospar there since 2009, but don't know how far back Jerry Collins skoda goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

local Councillor Marcia D'Alton contacted Aldi about their intentions with this unit and they replied saying that they have no plans until after Christmas, that's all we know. (it's all available on Facebook) under Marcia's account.

cold case wrote: »
    Well, you're going back a while there, cause I've been shopping at eurospar there since 2009, but don't know how far back Jerry Collins skoda goes.

Jaysus, surely i'm not the only one who remembers this place? :confused:

I'm not that old either and remember it clear as day, ask the former Mayor Mr Daly :pac: He is originally from my neck of the woods.

local Councillor Marcia D'Alton contacted Aldi about their intentions with this unit and they replied saying that they have no plans until after Christmas, that's all we know. (it's all available on Facebook) under Marcia's account.

Thanks Forest, for that, and thanks Marcia, for following up on the rumours around the town. Aldi would be great, and badly needed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement