Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible love

Options
  • 02-03-2017 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

After procrastinating for months, a week off from work has finally given me the kick up the arse I needed to get this log up and running. I'm hoping it will help me with motivation and any pieces of advice I pick up along the way would be a bonus. I mainly love running and I think I'd be lost without it, but sometimes we go through phases of having more of a love/hate relationship.

I started running on and off about 5 years ago, but mainly off. I ran the Women's MinI Marathon in 2012 but didn't follow any kind of proper plan and any other bout of training I'd start would usually result in inevitable injury.
    It's only really since around early 2015 that I started running regularly and following proper plans, thanks to the advice and encouragement from a running-loving colleague. I started with training for an August 2015 half marathon and despite claiming it would never happen, I decided to go for the 2016 Dublin Marathon, under the guidance of the wonderful nop with his marathon novices thread.

This year I have decided to focus on shorter distances and I've been following Myles Splitz's graduate plan, with the intention of running the Wexford Half Marathon in April. I'm currently on week 7 of the 14 week 10km/half marathon plan, although I've dropped one run a week to fit in other hobbies.

My half marathon PB is currently 1:56:34 but as I haven't raced this distance since August 2015 (I ran the 2016 Dublin Half Marathon, but at planned marathon pace), a PB should be there for the taking.

Other PBs:
    5km: 22:48, May 2015 Marlay Parkrun
    10km: 51:22, November 2015
    Marathon: 4:19:22, October 2016

After the Wexford Half Marathon, I'd like to focus on getting my 5km and 10km times down. 10km shouldn't be difficult as it's a long time since I raced this distance, but a 5km PB will be tougher. I always said I would only ever run one marathon, but I made a bit of a hames of that on the day, so I may have to battle that distance again, but not until 2018.

I'm starting a new job next week so I may have to alter my running plan a bit depending on how my new work schedule pans out. Unfortunately I think I'll definitely have to rule out lunchtime runs from now on. I'm also hoping there's at least one person in my new workplace who will let me sh1te on about my terrible love for running as much as my former esteemed colleague did:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The mousse has spoken. :pac: Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Best of luck with the log. Terrible Love is my favourite song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Welcome back C. Those times will come down once the training gets going again, no doubt! Best of luck with the log. I had to google the title though, please forgive my musical ignorance!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

tailgunner wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log. Terrible Love is my favourite song.

I was listening to the album for the first time in ages during a run yesterday when the name for my log came to me:)

First run to log:

4x8 mins half marathon pace with 90 seconds recovery
    Running calculator, based on my 5km Jingle Bells 2016 race time, has my half marathon race pace at 8:11/mile so I stuck to that as best I could. I think that calculator may be optimistic as I don't think I would've been able to maintain that pace for 13.1miles. But I'll stick to it in training at least.

Can't sync my Garmin to Garmin connect/Strava as I no longer have access to a computer since finishing up in work last week. So that's a bit annoying. May need to either buy a laptop or a better bluetooth Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Welcome to the training logs, Pompla - I thought it'd never happen..! Good luck with your WX goal, as well as bringing down those 5/10k times. Hope to see you around a parkrun or local run soon.

FWIW - I disagree with making any sort of hames back in October - you have a medal that says otherwise! :)

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

• Advertisement

Thanks nop!

Week 7, run 4

1hr45 easy

Was away in Leitrim for the weekend and went over to Lough Key forest park for this run. They had some nice trails although the weather wasn't great so it was pretty mucky. Was a bit slower paced than usual due to the conditions and me feeling pretty lethargic, so only did 9.7 miles (10:53/mile).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I will be following this with interest as I've also entered the Wexford half, albeit quite a bit slower than you!

Love the log title. Great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'll follow for the song alone. (live version is way better)

I didn't realise it was such a popular song :)
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I will be following this with interest as I've also entered the Wexford half, albeit quite a bit slower than you!

Yay finally someone else who's running Wexford. Hope your training is going well!

Some running updates:

Monday: 8x3mins CV pace with 400m recovery between each set. 5.62 miles @ 9:57/mile. Have never bothered with laps on my Garmin so that's my overall pace including warm up/cool down but my CV pace should be around 7:30/mile which I think I stuck to.

Wednesday: my first missed run of the plan:eek::( Was meant to do 60mins very easy but with starting a new job this week and getting into a new routine, I decided to give it a miss. No regrets.

Thursday: 30mins tempo. 4.26 miles @ 9:05 (includes warmup/cooldown). Tempo pace is around 8:30/mile which I more or less stuck to but it was way more of a struggle than it should have been. Similar to last weekend's run I was feeling really zombified, hopefully it's a phase that will pass soon.

Saturday: 70 mins easy pace. 6.74 miles at 10:23/mile.
    Ran this one with my bf (who is also going to run the Wexford half but is way faster than me and so I totally hold him back:o) and the time flew by. Had a great night's sleep Friday night and thankfully I felt much more energetic during this compared to recent runs. Hopefully it lasts!

Total mileage for this week: 16.59 miles/ 26.7 km.

6 weeks of training to go until the Wexford half!

• Advertisement

Monday: 12x75seconds CV pace with 1 min recovery. 3.83 miles, overall pace 9:33/mile. Couldn't remember what exactly my CV pace was meant to be but I think around 7:30/mile so that's what I aimed for. Felt good overall.

Tuesday: 60 mins very easy. 5.3 miles at 11:19/mile. Felt a bit sluggish on this run. That seems to be a pattern for me with very easy paced runs, it seems the slower I go, the more I want to slow down even more.

Thursday: 4x10mins half marathon pace with 2 mins recovery. 6.15 miles at 9:00/mile overall pace. Used the laps function on my Garmin for the first time but didn't realise I had to switch off the 1 mile auto lap so my Garmin was doing both. My predicted half marathon pace is 8:11/mile which I think is way too fast but I'm going to stick with it for training runs. The mile that I covered in each of the 10 minute slots were paces 8:04, 8:14, 8:03 and 7:59/mile so happy with those. Was pretty tired afterwards.

Saturday: 2hrs easy. 11.79miles at 10:11/mile. Ran this with my bf again. Ran from Bushy park to Tymon park and back. It was my first time ever in Tymon park, hadn't realised how huge it is, will definitely go back. Overall pace was probably a little fast for me but it felt ok.

Total mileage for the week: 27miles/43.5km. Really happy with that. Only 5 weeks of training to go:eek:

Monday: 10 mins, 7 mins, 3 mins, threshold-cv pace, 2 mins recovery between each. 4.01miles at 9:22/mile.

Wednesday: 60 mins easy, 5.4 miles at 11:07/mile.

Thursday: 30 mins tempo, 4.47 miles, 8:57/mile overall pace. Tempo miles were 8:31, 8:23, 8:03 so not very consistent.

Saturday: 1hr45 easy, 10.18miles, 10:19/mile. Felt like crap Saturday morning so was really tempted to give this a miss but was glad I did it in the end. The weather was lovely, first time this year running in short sleeves. We went out to Sandymount and along the coast towards poolbeg lighthouse although didn't make it quite as far as the lighthouse. Having lived in Dublin my whole life, I only discovered this place a few months ago whilst out running and it's now one of my favourite routes:)

Total mileage for the week: 24.06miles/38.72km.

Accomodation for Wexford also booked, looking forward to it now.

Did not have the greatest of weeks this week. During my run on Monday I noticed a bit of pain in my upper left leg. Couldn't pinpoint where exactly the pain was coming from and throughout the week it weirdly seemed to move between my upper and lower leg. I decided to play it safe and skipped my Wednesday and Thursday runs and did a lot of foam rolling and massaging with a sliotar instead. So my only running this week was:

Monday: 16x90second threshold, 30 second recovery. 5min warm up and cool down so 4.5 miles altogether at overall pace of 9:17/mile.

Saturday: Went out to Phoenix park with my bf. We tried to mainly stick to running on grass, parts were quite muddy which slowed us down but that was probably for the best. 9.5 miles at 11:03/mile.

My leg felt alright during the run but was a bit sore again Saturday evening. Massaging it seems to help a lot so I'll continue with that and skip any runs if I feel it's needed. I really want to get to that start line in 3 weeks!

Weekly mileage: 14 miles/22.5km :o

After more massaging last night my leg was feeling fine today. So got today's run done without incident :)

Monday: 6x4mins CV with 2 mins recovery. 4.55miles at 9:09/mile. Did a 5min warm up and that felt fine so figured I'd just go for it and stop if needs be but all felt fine. Distances for each 4min segment were (miles): 0.53, 0.53, 0.50, 0.55, 0.54, 0.52.
    Found it tough maintaining CV pace (around 7:30/mile) at some points as some parts were slightly uphill and against the wind but I think the effort was there.

Have also started cycling to work as of today. I had been walking the past 4 weeks (half an hour each way) and I think that may have been putting extra strain on my legs, so hopefully the cycling helps with that.

Tuesday: 60mins very easy, 5.11miles at 11:46/mile.

Thursday: 35mins tempo, 4.86miles including warmup/cooldown. 4.20miles covered in the 35mins so 8:33/mile.

Legs still holding up:)

Saturday: 120mins easy, 11.69miles at10:21/mile. Such an amazing sunny day for a run. Had to stop off at an ice cream van for a bottle of water. Ran along Sandymount and finally made it as far as the lighthouse.

Legs were a bit tender Saturday evening but nothing too bad.
    Less than 2 weeks now til Wexford.

Total mileage for the week: 26.16miles/42.1km

Saturday: 120mins easy, 11.69miles at10:21/mile. Such an amazing sunny day for a run. Had to stop off at an ice cream van for a bottle of water. Ran along Sandymount and finally made it as far as the lighthouse.

Legs were a bit tender Saturday evening but nothing too bad.
    Less than 2 weeks now til Wexford.

Total mileage for the week: 26.16miles/42.1km

(as opposed to an actual ice cream) Surely this merits high marks for self discipline? Definite PB in Wexford for you.

(as opposed to an actual ice cream) Surely this merits high marks for self discipline? Definite PB in Wexford for you.

Hehe well unfortunately I don't display the same self discipline after running, but fingers crossed for a PB:D

2nd last week of Wexford half marathon training:
    Monday: 2x20mins half marathon pace with 5 mins recovery. 6.07 miles at 9:04/mile.
    5min warm up (0.4miles)
    20mins half marathon pace (1mile:8:08, 1mile:8:06, 0.48miles:3:48)
    5 mins recovery (0.36miles)
    20mins half marathon pace (1mile: 8:13, 1mile: 8:15, 0.45miles: 3:32)
    5 mins cooldown (0.38miles)

Tuesday: 60 mins very easy. 5.23 miles at 11:29/mile.

Thursday: I've altered the plan I'm following to just 4 runs a week and moved the long run from Sunday to Saturday, which means the run I do on Thursdays should actually be done on Saturdays. This week's was meant to be a parkrun which obviously I can't do on a Thursday, so I just ran 5k at a fastish pace for me but not all out racing.
    Warmup: 0.35miles at 12:03/mile.
    5k: 24:51, 8:00/mile.
    Got a fly in my eye during this run, the stinging went away after a few mins & couldn't see anything in the eye when I got home. But woke up the following morning to find the dead fly on my eyelid. This is not the first time that has happened to me:eek::(

Saturday: Last LSR of the plan. 70 mins easy pace, 6.59 miles at 10:37/mile. Went to Phoenix park for this, started quite slowly as my legs were a bit tight from Thursday's run. Gradually speeded up, then was going too fast so slowed it down a bit.

Just a few short runs left to do this week. This time next week, Wexford half will be done and dusted :eek:

Monday: 6x1min Vo2 with 2 mins recovery. Not sure what speed that should be and was too lazy to go check so my aim was to go as fast as I could.
    Covered, in miles :

I figured this run would probably expose any niggles but all felt good.

Tuesday: 45mins very easy, 4.02 miles at 11:12/mile.

Only one short run left to do on Thursday before the race on Sunday :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Toenail Tuesday.
    Sunday - Stick to the plan. :pac: Think of that post HM glow. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Best of luck on Sunday! Keep a bit in the tank for the last bit - as it's a tough enough finish. No doubt you'll nail it!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck on Sunday. Hope it all goes well for you. Enjoy.

Toenail Tuesday.
    Sunday - Stick to the plan. :pac: Think of that post HM glow. :pac:

Thank you for the reminders, especially about the toenails :D
    nop98 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday! Keep a bit in the tank for the last bit - as it's a tough enough finish. No doubt you'll nail it!

Thanks nop, I did not realise that about the finish. My research on the course route has been terrible:o
    Best of luck in Connemara to you, I'm sure you'll nail it! Can't wait to hear how you get on!
    gypsylee wrote: »
    Good luck on Sunday. Hope it all goes well for you. Enjoy.

Thanks a mill:)

Thursday: 20 mins recovery. 1.8 miles at 11:07/mile. Last run of the training plan!!

Race plan
    Current half marathon PB is 1:56:34 from August 2015. Haven't raced a half marathon since then. Ran the 2016 Dublin half marathon as a training run for DCM and came in at 1:57:15, with lots of energy at the end. So I think I should hopefully be well able for a PB.

Gonna aim for 1:50 ish although unfortunately there's no 1:50 pacers. There are 1:45 pacers but I don't think it'd be wise to chance going with them. Looking forward to Sunday:)

Best of luck! FWIW I think you will knock 7-8 mins off that PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Good luck!

Wexford half marathon 2017 race report

I trained for this using the 10k-half marathon training plan that Myles Splitz was kind enough to post for the DCM 2016 graduates, although I modified it slightly as I only wanted to run 4 times a week. It had a great mix of easy and hard runs and I really enjoyed the plan.

Decided to make a weekend out of the half marathon as my boyfriend was running it too, so headed to Wexford on Saturday, stopping off in Courtown for my first ever game of crazy golf. Walked around Wexford town that evening, carb loaded in a restaurant and got an early night.

Got up around 8 on Sunday morning and was sitting at the kitchen table eating my toast. You know that horrible feeling when it suddenly dawns on you, out of nowhere, that you've forgotten something? Well that's what happened next. I've no idea why it popped into my head at that moment, as I hadn't touched my case with my running gear yet that day, but I suddenly knew that I'd forgotten to pack a sports bra. Bahaha!:eek::o Started panicking, checked my case to be sure but my worst suspicions were confirmed. Bf started googling sports shops in the area but none opened early on a Sunday. Had walked past a Penneys on the main street the evening before, googled that but alas it doesn't open on Sundays until midday. I had visions of me not doing the race, with the worst excuse ever. Was trying but couldn't think of any realistic and comfortable DIY sports bra. Mainly I was freaking out and cursing myself and cursing myself. Then genius bf had a brainwave: the Tesco we'd been in to buy groceries the night before had definitely had some clothes on sale. Googled it and it was open. Had no idea how extensive their selection was, until this weekend I hadn't even realised Tesco sell clothes, but it was my only hope. Wolfed down the rest of the toast and we headed to Tesco, which was thankfully only a 5 minute walk down the road. Found the clothes section, saw some sports gear and then the wonderful sight of some sports bras. God bless you Tesco! Paid and left feeling so so relieved.

Got ready, jogged down to the start line and didn't have long to wait til it all kicked off. Cursed myself again as I hadn't thought to bring sunglasses and it was actually very sunny. Said goodbye to bf, lined up a bit behind the 1:45 pacers and we were off. There was a bit of a bottleneck at the very beginning as we'd to go through barriers but it cleared pretty quickly, nowhere near as much congestion as I'm used to at races. Felt pretty good to be racing again, my first this year, and briefly contemplated sticking with the 1:45 pacers since they were only a little ahead of me. Reminded myself of how bad I felt in the second half of DCM 2016 and don't ever want to feel that way in a race again, so decided against it and let them gradually slip away. I was overtaken by a lot of people for the first couple of miles.
    Mile 1: 8:08
    Mile 2: 8:20

Miles 3 and 4 were the toughest for me, both mentally and physically. We were on a long long road that I thought would never end and that had a slight uphill drag. I kept thinking there was so much of the race left to go and that I'd never be able to maintain pace for a sub 1:50 finish.
    It was still really sunny and I felt uncomfortably warm, so it was a relief to see other people throw bottles of water over their heads just past the water stations; it wasn't just me feeling the heat. Got into Johnstown Castle grounds and started to feel a bit better. The grounds were lovely so that probably distracted me a bit.
    Mile 3: 8:36
    Mile 4: 8:29

The rest of the course route is a bit of a blur to me, with a lot of long never ending country roads, with a good few uphill parts. Some downhills too thankfully which I always speeded up on to make up time.
    Mile 5: 8:19
    Mile 6: 8:31
    Mile 7: 8:16

Not long after mile 8 it was practically a straight line to the finish, although again not as flat as I would have liked. I was feeling pretty good, or wasn't feeling terrible at least, and felt like a sub 1:50 should be doable. Was surprised how for most of the rest of the race we were running along the side of a main road, with traffic on both sides of the road. I was beginning to overtake a lot of people, picking them off one by one as I've learned to do from boards:) In some parts it was only really safe to run in single file, so had to look out for cars before overtaking other runners.
    Mile 8: 8:21
    Mile 9: 8:15
    Mile 10: 8:27
    Mile 11: 8:08
    Mile 12: 8:13

Picked up the pace a bit in mile 13 although there was another uphill bit, which thankfully nop had warned me about. At this point I was just counting down the minutes until it was over. Eventually got back into Wexford town, could hear cheers from a crowd in the distance. Continued overtaking people, until I was overtaken by a girl why went whizzing past me. I could see the finish line now and those two things gave me the final extra push I needed and I speeded up again and sprinted as fast as I could to the finish line.
    Mile 13: 7:50
    0.1 miles: 34 seconds.

Chip time: 1:48:23

Crossed the finish line, thought for a few seconds that I was gonna vomit but it quickly passed. Saw my bf almost straight away and compared races. His first half marathon and he'd run sub 1:38 so was slightly in awe and delighted for both of us. My lungs felt pretty sore but they recovered quickly. Overall I really enjoyed the race and can't wait to do it all again. Not sure yet when that'll be or what distance but I think my next half marathon target will be sub 1:45.

And if I ever travel for a race again, I will remember to pack everything :o

Yeah, but how was the crazy golf? :pac: Did Terrible Love enter your head at any point? Congrats on your time and good to hear you want to do more. :) Couldn't get around without a blurry bit somewhere in there. :o

• Advertisement

Yeah, but how was the crazy golf? :pac: Did Terrible Love enter your head at any point? Congrats on your time and good to hear you want to do more. :) Couldn't get around without a blurry bit somewhere in there. :o

Thank you! Hehe crazy golf was great fun but is a bit of a sore point for me. At the beginning of the second last round, it was all even. At the beginning of the last round I was losing by 1 point. But I bottled it and ended up losing by 4 points:mad:

Would you believe I don't think Terrible Love entered my head even once during the race! The sound of all the heavy breathing around me and the spitting (there was so much spitting) was too distracting:pac::pac:

Advertisement