Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible love

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the PB, great mental strength to be able to tough it out. Sorry I missed you - again! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant PB, 8 seconds is huge - i'd take that! That was some effort - well done. I'm delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done on the PB - nice going after your stressful start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Nothing like a race starting slightly early to get the adrenaline pumping. Thrilled to read you ran a PB. Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well done - great to get the PB and that's a cracking 5K time - I'm jealous! Particularly after how the last few months have gone you did amazingly well do run a 5K PB so soon. Bodes very nicely indeed for 2019 ;)
    Sorry to read about the suffering though, doesn't sound one bit pleasant. Fair play to you for hanging in. Had you eaten anything before the race or do you think that was a factor at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Thanks all.
    eyrie wrote: »
    Well done - great to get the PB and that's a cracking 5K time - I'm jealous! Particularly after how the last few months have gone you did amazingly well do run a 5K PB so soon. Bodes very nicely indeed for 2019 ;)
    Sorry to read about the suffering though, doesn't sound one bit pleasant. Fair play to you for hanging in. Had you eaten anything before the race or do you think that was a factor at all?

Thanks. I had eaten 2 slices of toast about 2.5 hours before the race but I don't that was the issue as I've had similar nausea problems before when running on empty. I think it's probably directly related to effort as it tends to automatically happen when I'm really pushing myself. Not sure what I can do to stop it, other than try push myself more often to get more used to that uncomfortable feeling :confused:

Thanks. I had eaten 2 slices of toast about 2.5 hours before the race but I don't that was the issue as I've had similar nausea problems before when running on empty. I think it's probably directly related to effort as it tends to automatically happen when I'm really pushing myself. Not sure what I can do to stop it, other than try push myself more often to get more used to that uncomfortable feeling :confused:
    Ah, ok. I asked because I tend to get the nausea more often when running hard on empty for long, I assume it's something to do with stomach acid. But toast should take care of that so like you say it's probably something else. Sorry!

Ah, ok. I asked because I tend to get the nausea more often when running hard on empty for long, I assume it's something to do with stomach acid. But toast should take care of that so like you say it's probably something else. Sorry!

Thanks anyway. I'm gonna force myself to race more parkruns as part of my long runs in the new year, so hopefully that'll help.

3rd December-9th December

Monday:4.42 miles easy, 10:25/mile
    Tuesday:6.43 miles easy, 10:17/mile
    Thursday:5.27 miles easy, 10:22/mile
    Saturday:8 miles easy, 9:56/mile

Total for the week: 24.12 miles

Fairly uneventful week. Been doing S&C stuff after all of my runs which I find incredibly boring but hopefully it'll help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How is the nausea compared to a few years ago? Volunteering at parkrun is a good way of seeing the early finishers come in, you could then target them later when running it. I haven't put that into practice yet, but know the regular faces to see. Some parkruns have pacers once a month too. Hope 2019 is easier on your bank account with the physio side of things.

I've been completely avoiding these parts for nearly a month now. Started Bohermeen training in mid December and I managed a total of 1.5 runs until I realised I was being an idiot and stopped. Ever since getting back into running post DCM I've been noticing a bit of a niggle in my right shin, I assume related to the bone stress injury that the physio diagnosed before DCM. It was never bad so I tried ignoring it for a few weeks but it would pop up as soon as I'd start running, every time. Decided to take a couple of weeks break, but every so often I notice a very slight niggle when walking, so I still haven't attempted a run.
    At this point I'm going to completely write off January and hope it's ok when I try again in February.
    Meanwhile, I've kind've accepted that I'm back to zero fitness.
    I've been doing a 30 day yoga challenge for the past 2 weeks and enjoying that so I'm going to try make it a more long term thing this year. Should hopefully be good for preventing future injuries. I also got a balance board for Christmas so I've been using that for about 10 minutes a day, I'm absolutely terrible at it but have started to notice a tiny improvement.
    Obviously the Bohermeen half is out the window now, I'll wait til I'm back running regularly before deciding on my next target race. Dying to get back to it as I got a new garmin and lots of new running gear for Christmas/Birthday and none of it has been used yet. New garmin has a heart rate monitor which my old one didn't so it'll be interesting to start keeping track of that.

How is the nausea compared to a few years ago? Volunteering at parkrun is a good way of seeing the early finishers come in, you could then target them later when running it. I haven't put that into practice yet, but know the regular faces to see. Some parkruns have pacers once a month too. Hope 2019 is easier on your bank account with the physio side of things.

At this point all of the nausea is a distant memory so I guess I'll have to do lots of 5ks once I'm injury-free to find out. I've never volunteered at park run so that's also one I need to put on the list, thanks. I hope so too re physio:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

For some reason Pomplamosse (no 'u' in it) came up for me on Youtube the other day. I don't know why as I dip between travel vlogs, electric cars and folk/blues, etc. At this stage I think the algorithm just knows everything. :o

Good luck with the board and yoga.

For some reason Pomplamosse (no 'u' in it) came up for me on Youtube the other day. I don't know why as I dip between travel vlogs, electric cars and folk/blues, etc. At this stage I think the algorithm just knows everything. :o

Good luck with the board and yoga.

Hehe I worry about the interwebs sometimes. And thanks.

Forgot to mention in yesterday's update that I've also started swimming lessons. I can swim but badly and I've no confidence in deep water. Tomorrow is lesson 3 of 10 and going well so far. Don't think it'll help with fitness or anything as the lessons are so stop-start but once I'm better at it it'll be an option to use as low impact cross training.

Hi! Ah that sucks, really sorry to hear you're having injury/niggly troubles again. Hopefully it'll all be fine come February and you can make a fresh start.
    Hope you had a good Christmas (and birthday!) anyway.
    Forgot to mention in yesterday's update that I've also started swimming lessons. I can swim but badly and I've no confidence in deep water. Tomorrow is lesson 3 of 10 and going well so far. Don't think it'll help with fitness or anything as the lessons are so stop-start but once I'm better at it it'll be an option to use as low impact cross training.
    Ooh fair play! I'd love to try swimming lessons, having realised what a terrible swimmer I am during my injury break, but I'm too chicken at the moment. Are you doing them in a group or 1-to-1?

Also stupid question but... what's a balance board?

Hi! Ah that sucks, really sorry to hear you're having injury/niggly troubles again. Hopefully it'll all be fine come February and you can make a fresh start.
    Hope you had a good Christmas (and birthday!) anyway.

Ooh fair play! I'd love to try swimming lessons, having realised what a terrible swimmer I am during my injury break, but I'm too chicken at the moment. Are you doing them in a group or 1-to-1?

Also stupid question but... what's a balance board?

Thanks eyrie. I'm doing the swimming lessons in a group, there's only a max of about 9 people each week so it's not too packed and we all get attention from the teacher. This week there was only 5 of us, probably because it was so cold that evening. For the last few minutes we were brought to the deep end to practice diving & I was such a scaredy cat:o If I can at least get over that, this term of lessons will have been a success.

A balance board is a circular board thing sitting on top of a ball. You've to try balance on it without the edges touching the ground. Not sure I described that very well. It looks like this:

51M-JL7NSaL._SL1000_.jpg

The physio recommended it to me as it's good for strengthening muscles in the legs and ankles as well as the core. It's harder than it sounds. Or it is for me anyway :o

Oh that definitely sounds hard to me! I have appalling balance :o Looks kinda fun though.
    Fair play for trying the diving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've been completely avoiding these parts for nearly a month now.

Easily done :o

Hope rehab is going well, you deserve a break
    Hehe I worry about the interwebs sometimes. And thanks.

Fair play! How is it going?

I am similar - know the mechanics, panic once I'm out of my depth. I tried 1-2-1 lessons a few years ago. It's a whole different type fitness, so was very stop start! I gave up after 6 lessons, though. Too many tears.

juke wrote: »
    Easily done :o

Hope rehab is going well, you deserve a break

Fair play! How is it going?

I am similar - know the mechanics, panic once I'm out of my depth. I tried 1-2-1 lessons a few years ago. It's a whole different type fitness, so was very stop start! I gave up after 6 lessons, though. Too many tears.

Thanks juke. Glad to read you're getting back into things.

Swimming lessons are going well, I think. Think I've improved a little and I was slightly less scared when she brought us to the deep end this week. I still have a long way to go though. Was not impressed when she had us attempting butterfly stroke this week, the most pointless stroke ever IMO:o Sorry your lessons didn't work out, I know the feeling, I was almost in tears the first time she was getting us to jump into the deep end, luckily my goggles disguised it:cool:

I'm considering attempting a very slow short run tomorrow, but I'm scared. I'm convinced my shin is gonna be sore straight away. Not sure what I'll do if it is, if a 6 week break hasn't fixed it I'm not sure anything will :o

Good to get out of your comfort zone! Learned to swim young. Later on I was thrown into an adult sized pool for the first time...armbands were not encouraged. Scary then. Did some water safety courses during the summer in the sea when I was a teen - how to rescue someone (assuming they're co-operative and making a float from your clothes - PJ bottoms). Not lifeguard training, but it's one of those things that sticks with you.

Homework? My work printer isn't that far away. :phttps://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/keeping-fit-how-to-do-the-right-exercise-for-your-age-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Thanks juke. Glad to read you're getting back into things.

Swimming lessons are going well, I think. Think I've improved a little and I was slightly less scared when she brought us to the deep end this week. I still have a long way to go though. Was not impressed when she had us attempting butterfly stroke this week, the most pointless stroke ever IMO:o Sorry your lessons didn't work out, I know the feeling, I was almost in tears the first time she was getting us to jump into the deep end, luckily my goggles disguised it:cool:

I'm considering attempting a very slow short run tomorrow, but I'm scared. I'm convinced my shin is gonna be sore straight away. Not sure what I'll do if it is, if a 6 week break hasn't fixed it I'm not sure anything will :o

On grass, maybe?

Good to get out of your comfort zone! Learned to swim young. Later on I was thrown into an adult sized pool for the first time...armbands were not encouraged. Scary then. Did some water safety courses during the summer in the sea when I was a teen - how to rescue someone (assuming they're co-operative and making a float from your clothes - PJ bottoms). Not lifeguard training, but it's one of those things that sticks with you.

Homework? My work printer isn't that far away. :phttps://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/keeping-fit-how-to-do-the-right-exercise-for-your-age-2/

Fair play on the water safety courses, really valuable.
    Thanks for the article, interesting. (Thankfully?) I spend a lot of my working day running around like a headless chicken:pac: Can't imagine being stuck at a desk all day. I guess the lack of running this past 6 weeks has been good as it's forced me to vary my exercising. Need to keep that up.
    juke wrote: »
    On grass, maybe?

Good idea, I'll stick to grass tomorrow, thanks!

• Advertisement

Hard to believe it's February since this log was last updated:eek:

Just to log the rest of the year's running in one short post: I gave up trying & didn't run at all until summertime. Joined the gym instead and did a mixture of classes, none of which seemed to impact fitness compared to running. Bohermeen and DCM entries retired. Got back into things around June I think & eventually somewhere along the way my shin stopped niggling at me. Could only really do easy running though without aggravating things. Right hamstring started niggling at me on & off for a while then so ended up taking a few more short breaks. Lower back was also at me on and off but pilates helps that. Was getting back into things again until I went away on holidays for almost 3 weeks in November & despite packing runners, things were too full on with a lot of travelling so managed a total of 0 runs. Picked things up again when home until I had a fall off my bike on the way into work one morning & cut up my right knee, sidelining me once again. Back into it again and raced a parkrun before Christmas to get an idea of where I'm at. Just about managed around 24:40, which is pretty much exactly 2 minutes slower than my PB:eek: On the plus side, all seemed niggle free.

I've signed up for the Wexford half marathon in late April as a target race. Haven't even looked into training plans yet. I would love to get as close to 1:45 as possible (PB is 1:44:something) but realistically it's probably very unrealistic. Have also signed up for DCM 2020 but not yet fully committed to that, will see over the next few months. I'm hoping to stay a gym member so I can combine more regular running with one pilates, one barre pilates and one weights type class per week.

Bring it on 2020:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks for the update C. Seems like a tough year all right.

Better luck for 2020. Fingers crossed :)

Fair play on keeping things ticking over, no doubt it'll help in the days ahead. Happy to give you a shout out when I'm stewarding at DCM. :pac:

I've done the routine below a few times. Don't have a full hang of it yet. I can manage the planks in yoga, some of this...eh. Will get there!

Heard this when I was tuning in the other day. :P

https://twitter.com/martylyricfm/status/1276059694147174400

Heard this when I was tuning in the other day. :P

https://twitter.com/martylyricfm/status/1276059694147174400

Hehe, I was curious so googled the album. I wish I could sing well. Or I'd take being able to speak French well. Does this mean I've misspelt my own user name?:p

Thanks for the reminder that I have a log here:o

And I thought 2019 was a bad year for me and running. 2020:eek::eek:
    I had another setback in January when I fecked up my back. No idea what caused it (running? work? general life?). Worst pain I've had in my life but with rest and then lots of stretches and strengthening exercises, thankfully was able to start getting back into running around April.
    Obviously the covid ****e had started to kick the fan then so all race plans for the year out the window. At the moment I'm just enjoying slow easy miles and building back up slowly. Longest run I've done is 10 miles and think I'll cap it at that for a few weeks.

It'd be nice to have a race to look forward to in the not so distant future but sure we'll appreciate them all the more whenever they do return.

Must be a relief to have your health back. :)

Advertisement