Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible love

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have a good race tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

eyrie wrote: »
    Good luck in the half tomorrow! Hope it goes well :)
    Have a good race tomorrow!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow.

Thanks very much for the good luck wishes:)

Meno plan week 12 of 17

Monday: 10 miles easy with strides. 9:48/mile.
    Splits 10:05, 10:02, 9:52, 9:54, 9:57, 9:56, 9:44, 9:37, 9:16, 9:33.
    Halfheartedly threw 5x approx 100m strides into the last 2 miles.
    This wasn't a great run, my mind was preoccupied and I would've done anything to not run. Forced myself out as I knew it wouldn't happen the next day. Just wasn't feeling it at all and started to feel that blister on my big toe again after a few miles. Was really sore when I got home so I got a safety pin and annihilated it, squirting myself in the process (sorry for the tmi but it was actually kinda funny, in a "I want to laugh and cry at the same time" kinda way:o). More compeed applied.

Tuesday: rest. Trauma Tuesday but a day of reliefs.

Wednesday: 4 miles recovery. 11:12/mile.
    Splits 11:04, 11:05, 11:09, 11:29.
    I had nothing to recover from as didn't run yesterday but still took this super slow.

Thursday: 3 miles easy. 10:27/mile.
    Splits 10:52, 10:09, 10:21.
    Lashed rain for this and I was freezing. Kept it slow but legs didn't feel in great shape. Still could feel a niggle in my right calf.

Friday: rest.

Saturday:
    Dublin Half Marathon 2018
    (Previous PB: 1:48:23 from April 2017)
    Boyfriend was running this too and I suggested we watch the Breaking 2 documentary the night before to get us into race mode. Really enjoyed it. Wasn't feeling 100%, freezing cold all day and coughing a bit so convinced myself that I was coming down with a sinus infection. Got an earlyish night.
    Woke up the next morning and thankfully felt fine. Sinus-related disaster averted. Had 2 slices of toast for breakfast and a banana and set off. Got one of the last parking spaces at Hole in the Wall pub and we headed towards the start line, doing a very slow warmup. My stomach started to feel a bit funny and ended up queuing for the portaloos twice:o Headed towards the start line, lined up a little bit behind the 1:50 pacers, ate a Haribo sweet as I suddenly started to feel hungry, and we were off.

Miles 1-4: 7:53, 7:54, 8:05, 8:04
    My plan was to stick with the 1:50 pacers for the first few miles but it seemed a little slow so once we took the first turn off Chesterfield avenue I passed them out. Decided feck it, I was aiming for 8 minute miles which would be 1hr45. I'm not very familiar with Phoenix park so I wasn't sure what to expect and where (despite having run this race 2 years ago:rolleyes:) but there was a good few downhill parts so I was feeling pretty comfortable. Somewhere along the Upper Glen Road a passerby commented that there was a squirrel amongst us. I looked to my side and sure enough there was a squirrel running along in between lots of runners, poor thing was probably terrified but it was also a bit funny to see. Took a water bottle at the mile 3 station but only took a few sips.

Miles 5-8: 8:01, 8:01, 8:03, 8:01
    Downhill parts came to an end and there were few slight uphills but I was still feeling comfortable. Had planned on taking a gel at mile 5 but I wasn't sure if it was wise given my iffy stomach earlier. Saw a sign indicating a water station in 100m so I made the split second decision to risk the gel. There were cups at this water station and most of the water ended up on my face as I didn't want to slow down too much. Headed back onto Chesterfield avenue and I suddenly had a stitch. Concentrated on breathing in and out really deeply, sounding like a wild beast in the process, but the stitch eventually passed thankfully. Out onto White's road and more uphill. Turned the corner into Tower road and heard a few "yay, downhill" comments from fellow runners.

Miles 9-12: 7:47, 7:53, 7:39, 7:40
    Took advantage of the downhill here and sped up a bit. Passed a man who asked how my knees could handle speed on the downhill, I told him they'd probably start to crumble soon and kept going. Took a cup of Lucozade at the next station and again spilled most of it on myself, only got a sip or two. Back onto Chesterfield avenue and I took another gel around mile 10. Took this one slower as I didn't want to get a stitch again and that went ok. Passed a group and heard one of them tell the others to take it easy now as miles 12 and 13 would be hilly and tough. This was good to know, but instead I figured I'd quicken the pace now on the downhill in order to make up for lost time later. I was confident now that I hadn't gone out too fast at the beginning and I was on course for a PB. Legs were still feeling good. More water cups near mile 11 but again only got a few sips.

Mile 13-13.22: 7:46, 1:26
    Uphill drag and for the first time in this race I started to think that this was very tough and was looking forward to it ending. A few people pulled off to the side in pain with cramps. Onto Furze road and I was determined to keep going and not drop my pace by too much. As soon as I saw the finish line I sped up and sprinted as fast as I could. Started to feel nauseous and thought I might get sick but the finish line came just in time. Stopped my Garmin and checked my time, 1:44:12. I couldn't believe it, was so happy I almost cried.
    Collected my goodybag and looked around for bf, we'd stupidly forgotten to arrange a meeting point for after the race. Eventually found him, he'd pushed himself a bit too hard at the end (blamed me for putting on Breaking 2 the night before:D) and ended up in the medical tent at the finishline, but he was fine. Was great to bump into Nop after the race and it was lovely to meet Annie Get Your Run and Neady.
    Did an extremely slow jog back to the car and relaxed for the rest of the day.
    Chip time: 1:44:11

Warmup: 0.66 miles at 11:42/mile.
    Race: 13.22 miles at 7:53/mile.
    Cooldown: 0.71 miles at 13:20/mile.
    Total Saturday mileage: 14.59 miles.

Sunday: 2 miles recovery. 11:54/mile.
    Splits 11:39, 12:09.
    Legs, quads of both legs specifically, are pretty sore but just general post-race soreness rather than any specific niggles. Wore my shiny new top from yesterday's race and a runner went past me and said well done for yesterday:)

Total week 12 mileage: 33.59 miles.
    Meno's prescribed mileage: 30-40 miles

Absolutely delighted with Saturday's race and it has definitely helped build my confidence in thinking I can go for sub 4 hours in the marathon. Still a few more difficult weeks to get through first though.

Well done. Brilliant race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That's super racing, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, very strong run. All going to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Brilliant running, well done! Really strong finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yeuch blister!

Really delighted for you after your disappointment earlier this year that you were able to crush it. Great, strong race and of course you should feel confident for the sub-4 after it. Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic! That's some pb, especially during marathon training. You're well on for sub 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Absolutely brilliant, well done you!! Roll on the Sub-4 attempt, you're in a great position to make it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats again! You ran a great race! Lovely to meet you on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great run and report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

congrats on a very well paced race and super time. Great report too.
    Sub 4 is definitely on, just stick with the pacers and its in the bag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well done. Nop's ninjas did well on Saturday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's an amazing time, well done!! Super race, delighted it went so well for you. Sorry to hear of your boyfriend's troubles but glad it wasn't too serious!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done. Brilliant race.

Thanks a million. Delighted with how it went.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    That's super racing, well done!

Thank you. I hope your race went well:)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats, very strong run. All going to plan!

Thank you. Yep so far so good and I've enjoyed this plan much more than I expected too:) Well done on your race too.
    Brilliant running, well done! Really strong finish.

Thanks, yeah I was really happy with the finish. And that I held in the vomit:D And congrats again on your brilliant time.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Yeuch blister!

Really delighted for you after your disappointment earlier this year that you were able to crush it. Great, strong race and of course you should feel confident for the sub-4 after it. Congrats :)

Thanks a million Huzzah! I actually thought of you running the Berlin marathon during my race while I was attempting to drink water from the cups. I would've been seriously dehydrated by the end of a full marathon if cups were all that was on offer:o
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Fantastic! That's some pb, especially during marathon training. You're well on for sub 4.

Thank you, I hope so. I visit your log weekly from when you followed meno to see what tips I can pick up so thanks for that too #imastalker
    ariana` wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant, well done you!! Roll on the Sub-4 attempt, you're in a great position to make it happen.

Thanks a million ariana. I really hope so. Can't believe we've less than 5 weeks to go:eek:
    Congrats again! You ran a great race! Lovely to meet you on Saturday :)

Thank you. And likewise. And thanks for informing me of the proper way to pronounce meno :o:D:D
    Singer wrote: »
    Great run and report!

Thanks Singer. And well done on your race too:)
    Younganne wrote: »
    congrats on a very well paced race and super time. Great report too.
    Sub 4 is definitely on, just stick with the pacers and its in the bag.

Thanks a mill. I wish I had the confidence to think it's in the bag but the race has definitely upped my confidence:)
    Well done. Nop's ninjas did well on Saturday. :D

Hehe why haven't we been calling ourselves that all along :D And thanks!
    eyrie wrote: »
    That's an amazing time, well done!! Super race, delighted it went so well for you. Sorry to hear of your boyfriend's troubles but glad it wasn't too serious!

Thanks a mill eyrie. Yeah it was a shame for him but I think he has learned a very valuable pre-marathon lesson about not starting out too fast. Oh and I hope you made that physio call;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thank you. And likewise. And thanks for informing me of the proper way to pronounce meno :o:D:D

:D:D no no, that's how I pronounce it, definitely doesn't make it right :D anyway, the pronunciation is not important, the plan is excellent and hopefully you'll see the benefits of that on marathon day :).

:D:D no no, that's how I pronounce it, definitely doesn't make it right :D anyway, the pronunciation is not important, the plan is excellent and hopefully you'll see the benefits of that on marathon day :).

It is an excellent plan and fingers crossed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Delighted to read you had such a great race on Saturday. Well done on your PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the PB, an enjoyable read :D Yes (some of) the class of 2016 are making great strides!

• Advertisement

gypsylee wrote: »
    Delighted to read you had such a great race on Saturday. Well done on your PB.

Thanks gypsylee. Delighted to see that your race went so well too, well done :)
    Congrats on the PB, an enjoyable read :D Yes (some of) the class of 2016 are making great strides!

Thank you :) Good luck at the Simon 5 mile if you decide to race it.

Meno plan week 13 of 17...unlucky for some:(:(

Monday: 6 miles very easy. 10:53/mile.
    Splits 10:44, 10:40, 10:47, 10:51, 10:59, 11:19
    Legs were pretty achy after the half marathon so I kept this very slow.

Tuesday: 6 miles very easy. 10:33/mile.
    Splits 10:22, 10:23, 10:32, 10:36, 10:28, 10:55.
    Usually do my session runs on Tuesdays but legs still pretty wrecked so not a chance that was gonna happen any time soon.

Wednesday: 4 miles very easy. 10:52/mile.
    Splits 10:44, 10:53, 10:53, 10:56.
    Still didn't feel ready for the session. Left leg pretty much back to normal but right leg felt a bit niggly, calves again.

Thursday: 13 miles (10@PMP).
    Average pace 9:18/mile.
    2 miles warmup: 10:35, 10:21
    10 miles PMP: 8:59, 8:55, 8:49, 8:47, 8:55, 8:59, 8:54, 9:02, 8:54, 8:50
    1 mile cooldown: 10:50.

Supposed to do 14 miles altogether but turned back at 6.5 miles instead of 7 as it had started to lash rain and the sinus infection that threatened last week had come on this week (although only a mild one thankfully) and didnt want to make it worse. So just did 1 mile cooldown instead of 2.

I almost scrapped this session altogether as right leg calf was sore again during the warmup. Decided I'd try the MP miles but cut it short if my leg wasn't playing ball. But somewhere around the first or second MP mile the calf pain went away completely and legs felt good so I did all 10 MP miles.

Friday: rest. Right leg a little bit sore again walking around so did lots of foam rolling that evening and it seemed to improve.

Saturday: 20.10 miles easy. 9:59/mile.
    Splits 9:50, 10:05, 9:54, 9:57, 9:59, 10:05, 10:07, 10:19, 10:11, 10:11, 10:08, 10:01, 9:55, 9:58, 9:52, 9:54, 10:00, 10:16, 9:46, 9:19, 0.59.
    Plan said 22 miles easy but I had no intention of ever running for that long in a training run so capped it to 20.
    My worst long run of the whole plan. Calf sore again from the beginning but once again eased off after a few miles so I kept going. But from roughly mile 12 ish I just wasn't feeling it, both legs were feeling quite achy and gradually worsened although nothing specific was hurting. I wasn't too worried about it as I figured it was probably just tiredness after the race last Saturday. To make matters worse, I suddenly urgently needed to go to the bathroom in the last mile so I upped the pace to get home quicker.

Unfortunately that evening, I realised I was in trouble. Could no longer walk without quite bad pain in my right leg. It hurt putting weight onto my right leg so was walking with a limp. Hard to even pinpoint where exactly the pain is coming from, it's like a general lower leg pain.

Sunday: rest. No improvement in right leg so not a chance I was attempting a recovery run. Fairly pissed as this is my first week not hitting even the minimum of meno's prescribed mileage. I think that's the least of my worries though.

Total week 13 mileage: 49.1 miles.
    Meno's prescribed mileage: 50-60 miles

Really really worried about my leg now. I have been googling and freaking myself out that it could be a stress fracture which would rule me out of DCM. I had booked a physio appointment for next Friday for a sports massage but I'm going to ring them tomorrow and see if they can fit me in any time sooner. Although not very hopeful as it was difficult enough getting that Friday appointment. I've pretty much accepted that I won't be running at all next week anyway:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Sorry to read that. Stay away from Google and try and get an appointment. Hope it's something easy to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ouch. Sounds like something’s been niggling all week but don’t panic yet. Ice and rest, and see someone if you can.

Sorry to read that. It could be the combination of the half followed by the session and bump up in mileage. Wouldn't worry about the week 13 target, I'd hope a week after a race would allow for shaving a bit off, and it's negligible amount.

For me, post-FD10 I'd describe my leg as feeling like a soaking wet bath towel when you're trying to ring the water out of it and the feckin' weight bearing part of it. Ugh. Not like that every day, but it wasn't something to ignore, either. In my case, it was more of an alarm bell from the body rather than anything fundamental. Hope it's the same for you.

Oh no. In trouble with my right calf here too at the moment. Hope you get your appointment earlier. Meanwhile, I got KT Tape and calf sleeves and dramatic improvement since yesterday so maybe that might help you too? I haven’t run since last Wednesday and giving it another day or two.

Editing to add heat packs and Epsom salts baths are a big help too. As recommended by my physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm only catching up now - how is it since? Did you manage to get Physio any sooner? Don't panic yet anyhow - you have the bulk of the training done even if you don't run at all this week, rest up and get that leg right again, it's far from over yet!

Oh no! Really sorry to read this Pomplamousse. That's a monster week regardless, so hopefully it's just a case of the body needing a bit of rest after the race and a heavy week. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for all the comments. I was really lucky that the physio fit me in for an appointment today. It took a couple of minutes to figure out where the pain was coming from but he thinks I may have aggravated my tib posterior. He gave me stretches and strengthening exercises that I've to do twice a day for the next few days and then I've to go back to see him this Friday before he goes on holidays.
    He said not to run at all before be sees me this Friday, although there's no danger of that as walking is still pretty sore. I also have to ice the area in the evenings.
    Overall he did seem quite positive. He said I shouldn't bother with any more very long runs before the marathon but he didn't rule out the 16 miler I'm supposed to do on Saturday week. He said it'll be pain-dependent though and I've to just see how I get on over the next few days. He definitely wasn't ruling out the marathon anyway.
    Not sure how I feel now. Cautiously optimistic I guess. I don't feel any pain when I do the exercises he gave me, which I find confusing but he said it's a good sign. I've had bad experiences with physios in the past so I'm quite sceptical but this guy did seem to know his stuff/has very good credentials.
    Will see how I get on over the next few days. Not running today was weird.

• Advertisement

That sounds positive ish? Cautiously optimistic, as you say. You have stellar training done already, and that will definitely carry through to marathon day, but hopefully you'll be better much sooner than that.

Advertisement