Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KC Corks 96Fm

• 02-03-2017 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

So Red Fm retweeted a story from an examiner journalist, late last night, that KC has left the station. As of now their aren't more details. Wonder where his next move is to ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dapperdan

MrMac84 wrote: »
    So Red Fm retweeted a story from an examiner journalist, late last night, that KC has left the station. As of now their aren't more details. Wonder where his next move is to ?

Going to 96FM I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That would be a pretty good move from 96FM in fairness, they've had the same DJs for the last 20 years it seems!

I wonder did TodayFM try to get him back for the Al Porter timeslot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Any link to the Examiner article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I'm totally shocked with this news as KC was one of the main reasons that Red FM overtook 96fm in listenership figures in their history.

What's even more shocking is if the rumours are true about him going to rivals 96fm.
    http://radiotoday.ie/2017/03/red-fm-pdand-breakfast-presenter-kc-leaves/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

He's going to 96 brekkie allegedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

He's going to 96 brekkie allegedly

Yes and no programming director role, it seems he just wants to do the show but Red weren't open to that. He's a great talent, pity he didn't stay at Today FM.

Yes and no programming director role, it seems he just wants to do the show but Red weren't open to that. He's a great talent, pity he didn't stay at Today FM.

Red are going to find themselves in a sticky predicament now, in the last JNLRs 96fm were already regaining lost ground and alongside Prendeville KC was the biggest listener draw and gave Red FM some sort of legitimacy.

Now they're down their Star DJ who just won breakfast show of the year and as PD steered them to music station of the year and got them ahead of 96fm for the first time in their history.

It was absolutely moronic of them to let KC go after all he did for them and it was a major dick move not to let him say goodbye, he's far too professional to say anything risqué on air that would burn his bridges with Red FM.

I can see them replacing him with Mick Mulcahy who at the moment is doing the Sunday show from 10-2.
    He has plenty of experience after all the years doing breakfast on 96fm.

He won't save their ratings though as he appeals to a completely different demographic than Red are aiming for.

He won't save their ratings though as he appeals to a completely different demographic than Red are aiming for.

What demographic are Red FM aiming for?

• Advertisement

What demographic are Red FM aiming for?

"Cork's RedFM is an Irish radio station which broadcasts to Cork and the surrounding area, and is aimed at a youth audience. The station commenced broadcasting on 16 January 2002[1]" and was awarded Ireland's first youth radio licence. Its target market is the 15-35 age group in Cork city and county"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What a joke.

Red Fm are muppets :mad:

If he was terrible Id say meh, but KC and Prenderville are responsible for the increased listenership figures for Red FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

mikeym wrote: »
    What a joke.

Or perhaps to use football terminology he was tapped up and he agreed to leave before talking to Red.

Red were probably sucker punched. KC probably offered far better money to go. And he would be daft not to take it.

Best of luck too all of them.

The real loser here is Nick Richards. 20 years ish in the same slot. Now gone. Another one who Derry O Callaghan outlasted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭urbanshirl

Red FM have seriously dropped the ball on this one, they should have worked with KC for a solution.
    A move to 96fm will set the wheels in motion for a much needed shake up for broadcasting house I think.
    I can see Dave Mac taking PD role and possibly even breakfast. There is no way I could listen to Colm O Sullivan every morning he is absolutely woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gimmick wrote: »
    What a joke.

Or perhaps to use football terminology he was tapped up and he agreed to leave before talking to Red.

Red were probably sucker punched. KC probably offered far better money to go. And he would be daft not to take it.

Best of luck too all of them.

The real loser here is Nick Richards. 20 years ish in the same slot. Now gone. Another one who Derry O Callaghan outlasted :pac:
    Derry o Callaghan has one of the cushiest gig in radio. Play the few songs, do the birthday and anniversary shout outs and a few best wishes for sick people and throw the cupla focal. Bish,bash,bosh.

"Cork's RedFM is an Irish radio station which broadcasts to Cork and the surrounding area, and is aimed at a youth audience. The station commenced broadcasting on 16 January 2002[1]" and was awarded Ireland's first youth radio licence. Its target market is the 15-35 age group in Cork city and county"
    Red fm haven't been aiming at that audience for a VERY long time

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

If it is 96FM, what a result for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

urbanshirl wrote: »
    Red FM have seriously dropped the ball on this one, they should have worked with KC for a solution.
    A move to 96fm will set the wheels in motion for a much needed shake up for broadcasting house I think.
    I can see Dave Mac taking PD role and possibly even breakfast. There is no way I could listen to Colm O Sullivan every morning he is absolutely woeful.

Untill the PD role is filled who that that make the current decision maker?

The breakfast show will go downhill now.

Jay wont be able to laugh at KC's jokes anymore.

Untill the PD role is filled who that that make the current decision maker?

Dermot Hanrahan is the head honcho there and Dave Mac is head of music as far as I am aware

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote:

mikeym wrote:

Completely agree with both. When Jay was out sick after Christmas, KC was weak enough on his own, he's always had a sidekick, maybe Ross Browne will be with him on 96fm?

Jay sounds completely disinterested in the last few days and there's no banter at all between himself and Colm, it's very forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

urbanshirl wrote: »

I imagine he's getting some serious money now.... He was probably on a pretty hefty salary already, possible that Red couldn't compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kingsley Melodic Spoon

Victor Barry will be waiting by the phone

Victor Barry will be waiting by the phone

And Seamus Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Apparently Jay turned down the chance to follow KC to 96.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Apparently Jay turned down the chance to follow KC to 96.

Perhaps KC won't be on brekkie so at 96 as jay has a job aswell as Red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Red fm haven't been aiming at that audience for a VERY long time

i believe they are licenced to target the 15/34 age group? is that correct? if so wouldn't they have to target all ages of that group?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Mick Mul should be in there. He wont work well with Jay tho, different personalities.

If he did it on his own maybe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The BAI should get their arse into gear and make RedFM target their actual target market.

At the minute RedFM and 96FM are both trying to be a "96FM" and continually trading presenters and outdoing each other to be the same thing.

RedFM were licenced to cover the 15-34 market and 96FM were licenced for the 25-44 market. They weren't licenced to compete with each other.

RedFM should not have been given music station of the year for completely failing to fulfil their licence obligations. It's fairly sad a city/county as big as Cork has no 15-34 year old service ala Spin/Beat/i. The only other county lacking such a service is Wicklow, most of which can pick up Spin1038 (Bray, Greystones, Blessington, Wicklow town), iRadio/Beat (south west of the county/Arklow/Baltinglass).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

A Facebook page, The KC Show - Corks Red FM has now changed to just The KC Show. I must have started following it when he was on Today FM, seeing as I'm in Dublin and not Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

marno21 wrote: »
    The BAI should get their arse into gear and make RedFM target their actual target market.

At the minute RedFM and 96FM are both trying to be a "96FM" and continually trading presenters and outdoing each other to be the same thing.

RedFM were licenced to cover the 15-34 market and 96FM were licenced for the 25-44 market. They weren't licenced to compete with each other.

RedFM should not have been given music station of the year for completely failing to fulfil their licence obligations. It's fairly sad a city/county as big as Cork has no 15-34 year old service ala Spin/Beat/i. The only other county lacking such a service is Wicklow, most of which can pick up Spin1038 (Bray, Greystones, Blessington, Wicklow town), iRadio/Beat (south west of the county/Arklow/Baltinglass).

Cork is covered by Spin SW though.

BAI are probably reluctant to step in and tamper with a station that's doing well. If they force RED to target their licenced audience again and RED fails, that's some negative press that the BAI probably doesn't want.

It sort of highlights the ludicrousness of the licencing system IMO.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

BAI are probably reluctant to step in and tamper with a station that's doing well. If they force RED to target their licenced audience again and RED fails, that's some negative press that the BAI probably doesn't want.

I've never picked up spin in cork city?? What freq?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭smallfridge

Spin SW is licensed to 5 counties Kerry, Limerick Clare, North Tipp and SW Laois not Cork.

In Red's defence you say they don't target youth yet they are the choice of 15-34 yr olds. Granted more toward the 25+ market but these two stations 96 and Red are direct competitors. They're both battling to for no. 1 spot and both trying to convince clients to advertise and spend money with them so to say that they aren't is just wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Spin SW is licensed to 5 counties Kerry, Limerick Clare, North Tipp and SW Laois not Cork.

My mistake on Spin. I live on the border and have got it in Mallow before so I always just assumed it covered the rest of the county.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My mistake on Spin. I live on the border and have got it in Mallow before so I always just assumed it covered the rest of the county.
    Most of the north of Co. Cork can get Spin on 102.5 from Knockmoyle near Tralee or 102.7 near Maghera. It fades closer the city due to interference on 102.6 from C103's city transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Wonder what's next for Nick Richards.

Maybe Lenny from Today Fm might team up with KC again like old times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

So does anyone know when is KC starting at 96fm breakfast and what is REDFMs plan to respond?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

thejuggler wrote: »
    So does anyone know when is KC starting at 96fm breakfast and what is REDFMs plan to respond?

He will be on gardening leave right now and that could be for up to six months similar to Adrian Kennedy when he announced his departure from 104.

• Advertisement

thejuggler wrote: »

Id say Prendevilles Mick Mul will take over brekkie and bring back his wind ups;)

Id say Prendevilles Mick Mul will take over brekkie and bring back his wind ups;)

I predicted that when KC originally left but after listening to Mick a on a few Sunday mornings he's very unenthusiastic and droll, like a guy in a fit of depression.
    His song choices and music knowledge are great but I don't think he fits the bill for the current breakfast show format.

Interesting.

I believe KC started on REDFM on 31st March a few years ago so was musing that his contract with Red might expire at the end of March freeing him up to start with 96 at the start of April.

Maybe not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭Horse84

Was there any mention of Kc's departure by jay or colm or any other red fm presenter?

His promos on 96fm began today. Strangley they were still play Nick Richards in the mornings promos too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

How long has Nick Richards been on that slot? Wonder where he will go now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Radio5 wrote: »
    How long has Nick Richards been on that slot? Wonder where he will go now...

15 years doing the breakfast show he is kept on i dont know what show

His promos on 96fm began today. Strangley they were still play Nick Richards in the mornings promos too

The story from inside is Nick asked to do another show as 15 years doing breakfast is a bloody though slog.
    This put the wheels in motion for a new show - they got KC.

Fair play to Nick, number 1 for 14 years in Cork.

July 3rd is the launch date for the new 96FM breakfast show with KC.

No word yet on what timeslot Nick Richards is moving to or if he will have a regular slot in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Will Prendeville jump ship and go back to 96fm if KC is a success there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement