Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch for tri - advice appreciated

Options
  • 02-03-2017 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Does anyone have any advice on a good watch for tris - huge range out there, I am not looking to get messages or load music onto it, just to measure distance in water, on bike, run, pace, and heart rate that will show the hr on a kickr - and if you prefer wrist hr monitor or a separate strap for your chest, wrist looks easier as one less thing to forget - any input appreciated. Budget not so much of an issue as opposed to spending over the odds on a watch with functions I'll never use, I am not a gadget person but want to train smart in HR zones. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure about the kickr bit (I use the HRM on my turbo - on trainer road, and would record to the watch), but I love my 920xt. I have the tri and swim HRM too (I already had Ant+ speed and cadence).

I really wanted the Fenix3HR when I got the 920 which has optical/ wrist HR, but couldn't justify the extra price, as I still would've wanted the Tri bundle HRM to go with it. This model may be available at a decent price now as Garmin have recently launched new Fenix watches.

I would definitely recommend going for a watch which automatically uploads - it's so much handier than messing with dongles or cables and computers like I used to have to do with my old 320xt!

I did look at other brands, but ultimately came back to Garmin. Connect is ok - about my only criticism is that you have to upload manually files done outside of Garmin (e.g. TrainerRoad). Garmin will send to Strava, Training Peaks etc, but haven't released the software bits (how's that for technical) needed for other software to upload to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Afaik the kickr hrm is Bluetooth and the 920xt has Bluetooth connectivity so you should be good to go on that end of things.

Fenix is a nice looking watch but the 920xt isn't the worst looking and it probably has an easier to navigate UI.

I wouldn't really mention any others than those 2 to be honest. sunto and polar are other models to consider but I've no experience with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Does the Garmin do Bluetooth for hrm/ speed/ cadence etc? I thought it was Bluetooth only for uploading? I've only ant+ stuff anyway, as my old watch was definitely ant only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Does the Garmin do Bluetooth for hrm/ speed/ cadence etc? I thought it was Bluetooth only for uploading? I've only ant+ stuff anyway, as my old watch was definitely ant only.

I may well be wrong but I think it connects with bluetooth devices aswell.

I was indeed wrong :D

Taken from DC rainmaker review.

"Now, there are a few things that many people saw in the wild rumor mill that aren’t in the FR920XT, specifically:

– No support for heart rate while swimming (though, there should actually be a workaround there with Connect IQ)
    – No optical heart rate sensor in the unit itself
    – No 3G/cellular connectivity
    – No Bluetooth Smart sensor support (i.e. BLE heart rate sensors)
    – No Di2 support at this time (though, this too could likely be added in Connect IQ)
    – No small ponies"

Advertisement