Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clifden

Options
  • 02-03-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi lads.I'll be heading to clifden in early april for a week and I want to fish some of the small loughs for trout.The thing is there seems to be a big choice so I'm wondering does anyone out there fish this area that can recommend a few.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

rtc wrote: »
    Hi lads.I'll be heading to clifden in early april for a week and I want to fish some of the small loughs for trout.The thing is there seems to be a big choice so I'm wondering does anyone out there fish this area that can recommend a few.Thanks.

There's an angling club in clifden have loads of lakes available not sure how much but I've seen the map of the lakes loads of them never fished there will do this year though

Would like to see someone a bit better knowledge around that area to post!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Stanleys shop in Clifden have a tackle section, John there is a mine of knowledge, will sell you permits, give you a map and show you exactly where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Zzippy wrote: »
    Stanleys shop in Clifden have a tackle section, John there is a mine of knowledge, will sell you permits, give you a map and show you exactly where to go.

I find that when you go to the local tackle shops in any town you end up being directed to the same old tourist spots that you can find on the net anyway.I'll be in there for the relevant permits etc but I am looking for an anglers advice that has some experience of fishing the area.Thanks for the reply though..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

rtc wrote: »
    I find that when you go to the local tackle shops in any town you end up being directed to the same old tourist spots that you can find on the net anyway.I'll be in there for the relevant permits etc but I am looking for an anglers advice that has some experience of fishing the area.Thanks for the reply though..

In fairness, John is pretty honest, and if you tell him you want to fish somewhere off the beaten track he will listen, he might send you somewhere with a very long walk if you don't mind that, but you'll be guaranteed not to meet other "tourists", in fact you'll probably only meet sheep.

Oh, and if it's anyway unseasonably warm for April, bring the midge spray. Connemara midges are an evil plague...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Best times to fish these lakes is late evening if you want to get the bigger trout, but be warned you will be eat alive with midges no matter what you rub on your skin,done it and got trout of good size but it was a nightmare with the midges, if their was a shower of rain around 8 o clock you may run for your life dont know what it is like in march and early april but june and july would do your head in with the midges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Sorry ballinboy lakes were the best i found, had a trout over 3 lbs one evening locals told me it was a monster for that lake, late june on a small sedge lough fad.this was about 10 years ago i must have lost 3 pints of blood that night with midges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Thanks to all for the replies.I'll post after the trip if there is anything of interest to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Lough Nambreackeagh, 2 kilometres north east of Clifden, has some excellent trout; although there are not many of them. It's deep and somewhat dangerous for wading in spots. Note that it is a Clifden Anglers Water, so fly only and you will need a permit, John Stanley mentioned above is the man to speak to about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

I've experienced Connemara midges and Icelandic midges, both in July. Neither come close to the Scottish biting midge of the Assynt area.

GBH from a tiny insect!

• Advertisement

whelzer wrote: »
    I've experienced Connemara midges and Icelandic midges, both in July. Neither come close to the Scottish biting midge of the Assynt area.

GBH from a tiny insect!
    I think that is just a big mad angry scottish brexit thing going on there...

Advertisement