Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpaid Direct Debit fee even though there was sufficient money in the account

• 02-03-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

On Monday 27/02/2017, I lodged €45.00 in to my account to cover a Direct Debit for Eircom that was due that day..see attachment. The Direct Debit was not processed. Not my fault as I don't work for the bank. Now I see that the Direct Debit was processed a day later and failed because Bank of Ireland applied fees to my account on the 28/02/2017 leaving insufficient funds for Eircom. And I have been hit by a further fee of €12.70  for an unpaid Direct Debit! This is outrageous. A failure to process transactions on time by the Bank costs me money? Proof attached in statement. Please rectify this. The Direct Debit Fee of €12.70 should not be charged. The bank did not process the Direct Debit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

mickells35 wrote: »
    On Monday 27/02/2017, I lodged €45.00 in to my account to cover a Direct Debit for Eircom that was due that day..see attachment. The Direct Debit was not processed. Not my fault as I don't work for the bank. Now I see that the Direct Debit was processed a day later and failed because Bank of Ireland applied fees to my account on the 28/02/2017 leaving insufficient funds for Eircom. And I have been hit by a further fee of €12.70  for an unpaid Direct Debit! This is outrageous. A failure to process transactions on time by the Bank costs me money? Proof attached in statement. Please rectify this. The Direct Debit Fee of €12.70 should not be charged. The bank did not process the Direct Debit
    ok a couple of things, Bank of Ireland were definitely having techninical problems processing payments around that date, so that could go in your favour, but also just because eir notified you that the payment was due on 27/02 it doesn't mean they presented the DD on time to boi so it might not have been boi's fault 

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mickells35

ellobee wrote: »
    ok a couple of things, Bank of Ireland were definitely having techninical problems processing payments around that date, so that could go in your favour, but also just because eir notified you that the payment was due on 27/02 it doesn't mean they presented the DD on time to boi so it might not have been boi's fault 
    Yes but it's hardly mine. Its either eirs or the banks. I'm fairly rural so i cant get to the bank until next Monday to lodge more funds. And since its a DD , and eir stated that it was due on the 27/02, then do they not have an agreement with the bank to check the account on that date. Not on the 28th? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Morning mickells35,

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

Due the specific nature of your query it would be best to have one of our customer services reps review your account for a full investigation. To do this, please send your query via the Service Desk on 365Online using the option for 'Ask a Question'. Once fully reviewed our reps will reply to your inbox on 365Online directly with a full explanation.

I sincerely hope that this is resolved for you as soon as possible and thank you again for your post.

Elaine

ellobee wrote: »
    Yes but it's hardly mine. Its either eirs or the banks. I'm fairly rural so i cant get to the bank until next Monday to lodge more funds. And since its a DD , and eir stated that it was due on the 27/02, then do they not have an agreement with the bank to check the account on that date. Not on the 28th?  
    As far as I'm aware eir has to present a dd demand to the bank each month informing the bank to debit your account on a particular date, the bank would require a certain amount of notice to be able to do this, if they didnt get the required notice then the dd would be processed at a later date, also if you check your contract with eir I can guarantee you there is something in the small print stating that while every effort will be made to have the dd processed on the date advised that in some cases it may be within a day or two of the advised date, Also I'm sure the bank will say they informed you of the bank charges in advance and that you should have funds in to cover both, I'm a boi customer myself and I do get informed of the bank charges although its usually a month beforehand  and I always forget when they are due so I have sympathy with you there. As I said before I think your only chance of getting the 12.70 refunded is because of the technical problems they were having around that date. I would ring customer service and see what happens and I would say to them that you were aware they were having problems processing payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Surely this is a case of you not having enough in your account to cover both outgoings? 

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Surely this is a case of you not having enough in your account to cover both outgoings? 
    Well, it isnt really, he put the money in for the dd on the 27th and he either didnt know or forgot about the bank charges on the 28th, now if the dd had be taken on the 27th everything would of been fine, boi would have still taken the charges on the 28th and he would of been overdrawn and probably charged interest at some stage and probably not as much as the 12.70 for the unpaid dd and it probably wouldnt have the same effect on his credit rating as an unpaid dd . So I can understand his frustation.

Advertisement