Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Am I going blind or has "I am Setsuna" disappeared from the eshop?
    Some nice new adds though :)

Edit: no, still there but you have to search for it, doesn't show in the list of new releases. We need an eshop update for more categories Nintendo!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-city-undercovers-packaging-mentions-needing-up-to-13gb-of-space-for-game-download-on-switch/

Hope this doesn't become common place. Publishers saving money on small cart size and having the rest as a download. I buy physical games to save on internal space, reserving that for smaller indie games or future virtual console games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

The PS4 slim doesn't have an optical audio port. The switch is also funnily enough marketed as a home console in the west but is Japan its marketing as a handheld.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, a graph of share price and a comparison of specs?
    Not the most "illuminating" or useful charts there, the latter in particular, hasn't spec comparing gone out with the XB1/PS4 launch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Switch Operating System has been updated to 2.1.0. Just stability improvements, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have to go through and delete all the screenshots I've taken in Zelda when accidentally pressing the Capture button instead of the - button on the Pro controller

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

sligeach wrote: »
    MW-FI897_consol_20170324152535_MG.jpg?uuid=a76e5948-10c7-11e7-af2f-001cc448aede

Problematic chart. Xbox One launched at $499 and the PS4 launched at $399.

It's like comparing two shops with one having a sale and saying that that shops prices are cheaper and therefore they offer a better product.

Other holes exist there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The PS4 and Xbox One are nearly 4 years old, the switch is barely a month yet. Xbox One launched at... 529.99?, as that Kinect thing wasn't optional at launch, PS4 was 400.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Problematic chart. Xbox One launched at $499 and the PS4 launched at $399.

It's like comparing two shops with one having a sale and saying that that shops prices are cheaper and therefore they offer a better product.

Other holes exist there as well.

It doesn't matter what price the competition released at. What matters is what they cost now. Nobody's going to look at these in a shop and say well XB1, that cost $500 at launch, I'd better buy a Switch so. And you're getting significantly less bang for your buck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Switch has no audio ports? :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It doesn't matter what price the competition released at. What matters is what they cost now. Nobody's going to look at these in a shop and say well XB1, that cost $500 at launch, I'd better buy a Switch so. And you're getting significantly less bang for your buck.

Some people are pragmatic and can see that any brand new tech at all has a higher price at launch. And once again it's still not comparing apples with apples, come back to me when I can take my PS4 out from under my TV and play it on a train with the included screen (and audio port).

mayordenis wrote: »
    Some people are pragmatic and can see that any brand new tech at all has a higher price at launch. And once again it's still not comparing apples with apples, come back to me when I can take my PS4 out from under my TV and play it on a train with the included screen (and audio port).

See I couldn't care less for that feature yet I've to pay for that while getting a very underwhelming home console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

mayordenis wrote: »

Or can disassemble the included controller to play 2-player games.
    See I couldn't care less for that feature yet I've to pay for that while getting a very underwhelming home console.

I haven't used the Switch on a train. I mainly use it at home, sitting on the couch, in handheld mode. And it's beautiful. Lots of people do, apparently, care for this feature. I also think it is a perfectly serviceable home console, it just comes into its own as a handheld.

On the other hand, I really liked Xbox fitness and the Xbox One Kinect. People don't care for that feature and the service is going to be pulled from the Xbox One in summer of this year. Leaving me with a very expensive and heavy webcam on my TV. Swings and roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Mr E wrote: »
    The Switch Operating System has been updated to 2.1.0. Just stability improvements, apparently.

Being a PS4 owner also I loves a bit of the ol stability so I do...

Doesn't seem to have done anything for the shocking wiffy speeds anyway... :/

Thankfully I took my own advice and got the USB 3.0 ethernet adapter on Amazon and will have it Thursday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You don't own one so how can you state it's underwhelming?
    The vast amount of comment from actual owners of the machine is that their experiences are anything but underwhelming, in fact they are getting precisely if not more from the console than they expected.
    And that satisfaction isn't just in raw performance numbers, the presence of a 3.5mm jack or the monitor resolution, as with every Nintendo it's in the synergy of the hardware and software, the console and the games, and the experience it delivers.

Any and all the features of hardware you don't own are really not yours to declare as "underwhelming", you have said before that you don't own anything other than Nintendo hardware, so their feature lists and raw stats should be something you can't use as a yard stick either.

Comparing the Switch to the most recent home and portable consoles from Nintendo then, the Switch represents an obvious next gen shift, while the first two quarters of game releases may not reflect this new system idea in terms of Switch only content, this situation is hardly unique given the paltry offerings on both the PS4 and XB1 on release, where their own predecessors were far better served with games and a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

Well, that feature is the main selling point for me so...?

If I take my Switch out of the dock and put it beside my PS4 then I find myself asking WHY people are comparing the specs of the 2 machines?

If the Nintendo NX was designed to compete with PS4 in performance terms then it can't be a portable console. If the Nintendo NX is designed as a portable console then it can't compete with the PS4 performance.

The basic concept of comparing the different consoles is flawed from the very beginning.

You are not comparing like with like here.

Yes, you can play video games on both systems sure but we can't pretend that the flexibility of the Switch is not a factor at all because "I didn't want that feature though".

I'll admit I wished Nintendo would just make a super powerful console that can play the 3rd party games like Doom and FFXV etc plus the Nintendo exclusives but on the other hand I find the tablet mode to be a very compelling feature.

I feel like if I bought a 2k euro bike and cycling gear because I enjoy cycling to work as I like the exercise then there'd be a naysayer somewhere telling me that their 1.5k euro car has more wheels and can go faster and they personally don't care about fitness. 'Cause it's all just a mode of transportation at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭geotrig

You dont have to buy it :pac: , I think for me this works , I use it docked mostly but when others want to watch something on the tv i just pick it up continue ,the same as the ads or carry it to another room . The wii u appealed to me for that but was limited in its portability this just expands on it and makes its more portable.

Ive used it once on tabletop with 2 controllers and its a nice little feature to have, although i felt the stand /angle works best on table top as 1player .the stand in the case had a better angle for 2 player

comparing it to the ps4 is like compairing the neo geo to the snes at the time. they both basically did the same ...thing but were aimed at different markets !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

sligeach wrote:

So why are you in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I liken the Switch to the iPad.

Didn't really see the need for an iPad when it was first announced, but once you get one or any tablet device you really see how useful they are.

Same with Switch, it's not immediately apparent what advantages of it are, but once you have it those features seem really important.

• Advertisement

Thought this thread was for people who have the switch :P

Thought this thread was for people who have the switch :P

I objected to the threads title before.

fixxxer wrote: »
    So why are you in this thread?

Thanks for that snotty little comment that contributed nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Thanks for that snotty little comment that contributed nothing.

It's a thread for Switch owners discussing Switch issues. If your only input is coming in now and then to shout how its rubbish then I'd say it's you who is contributing nothing.

To be fair, you're saying things like the switch is "a very underwhelming home console" in a thread full of switch owners and people who love the switch. What did you think might happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

is the Binding of Isaac available to buy yet ? can't see it in the store. I thought it was meant to be released on the 17th march :confused:

Not here yet, 2smiggy. You can buy it from the US store though (remember you need to buy US credit to do so).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

To be fair, you're saying things like the switch is "a very underwhelming home console" in a thread full of switch owners and people who love the switch. What did you think might happen?

There is nothing underwhelming about the Switch IMO, I revel in its different-ness....

(is that even a word?) :)

I have a PS4 Pro for my "big third party" titles and a PC for if they are awful on the PS4...

I don't have an Xbox One and in a toss up between one of them and a Switch, I opted for the latter...

I bought the Switch for Nintendo titles and I have not been disappointed so far...

I probably would say that as I didn't own a Wii U and probably don't have the salt that others have over buying it when it didn't do very well...

A feature I had no interest in initially (portability) is now nearly a system seller for me, I never thought I could be sitting in my car and playing a fully fledged Zelda on controller's, and I can....

I can't wait for Mario Kart and Odyssey, and if they convert Mario Maker I will be the happiest chap in the world...

TLDR - Switch offers something completely different for me, and I'm glad I bought one, if I cared about specs or graphical prowess I would not have bought it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

fixxxer wrote: »
    It's a thread for Switch owners discussing Switch issues.

Well, since the NX/Switch speculation thread was closed on launch, this is surely the only place to discuss the Switch whether you have one or not ?

Personally, I've always seen Sligeach's complaints about the switch as more of a lament that Nintendo won't come to the races in terms of raw power. A bit like Yoda in the Star Wars movies. (Nintendo are Yoda, to be clear). He's the most powerful jedi in the universe, you know it's going to be great when he unleashes that power, why won't he just bring the ****ing smackdown?

But caution, young padawan - Remember in that ****ty star wars prequel when Yoda *did* break out his lightsabre and it was like watching a squirrel trying to **** a firework? Sometimes there's a good reason to keep it bottled up.

Similarly, I wonder if part of what makes Nintendo the Nintendo we love is the constraints and how they push against them and turn challenges into positive boons?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Not here yet, 2smiggy. You can buy it from the US store though (remember you need to buy US credit to do so).

where is the handiest place to buy us credit ? i had a look on amazon.com, but it does not seem to be a digital code, but a physical card. can i use a card bought in ireland, in euros, to pay in dollars ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

2smiggy wrote: »
    where is the handiest place to buy us credit ? i had a look on amazon.com, but it does not seem to be a digital code, but a physical card. can i use a card bought in ireland, in euros, to pay in dollars ?
    PlayAsia - go back a few pages in this thread and there's full instructions and links :)

Advertisement