Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Can you still swap shop regions easily enough? Remember hearing a while back they made it more difficult or did they just raise the prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Is Mario Tennis Aces worth a go lads? Looking for something I can casually pick up and play for a half hour here and there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is Mario Tennis Aces worth a go lads? Looking for something I can casually pick up and play for a half hour here and there.

Sure give the week long demo a bash and see what you think :D

Picked it up at release, sold it roughly one week later.

Found the single player/offline experience very lacking (even with the story mode):
    • Tournaments/Matches too short - one one set of two games
    • No real match customisation options when you want a local quick play. (I think you were limited to the two game sets and couldn't pick the court)

Found the online was a bit annoying:
    • Bad connections
    • Everyone played Spike
    • Really bad connections

Now, that's how it was at release.

It has had many updates since then, so I've no idea how it plays now.

Having said all that, do this...
    Kimbot wrote: »
    Sure give the week long demo a bash and see what you think :D
    It'll give you a flavour of how the game plays, so you can make up your own mind. :D

thanks lads, should just have looked up, didnt realise the codes above were for this. Ill give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I am due to head on a 12 hour flight later in the week and bringing my switch with me. I am wondering is stardew vallay worth while?.

And is it very like harvert moon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I am due to head on a 12 hour flight later in the week and bringing my switch with me. I am wondering is stardew vallay worth while?.

I put 140+ hours into it on PC. It's not bad. :pac:

Not played Harvest Moon, but I've read it's similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It's 12 euros on CD keys so I am like will I bite?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

First game I purchased on the eshop was Stardew Valley 2 years ago, I still play it, great game, very like Harvest Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yes. I've put about 110 hours into it over 2 games so far, loving it. It's the same thing as old-school Harvest moon - clear the ground, plant seasonal crops, make money, invest in animals, make more money, repeat forever and all the while be trying to buy yourself a concubine through gifting. There's a Rune Factory-esque Mine where you dig rocks and fight monsters but there's no monster taming for slave farm labour. There's a series of quests tied to rewards that unlock farm features or just make your town a nicer place to live that keep you focussed for the first year or two, and after that it's all about personal goals, automation, skill mastery, check-list completion, mine progress, trying to bang every bachelor/bacherlorette/both in town etc etc and your mileage may vary. But it's magic. And now you can multiplay if you have multiple switches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

+1 on Stardew. I put a serious amount of time into it over two or three week period to the point i had to stop :pac:

Really really fun game to just throw on and play though there is so much to jump into and experience that i wish they made more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just saw in the Virtual Console thread Saints Row The Third is out on Switch.

I completely misses thia, is that a sort of extra nonsense GTA clone?

I'm sure someone told me it was good once, is it worth lookimg at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Just saw in the Virtual Console thread Saints Row The Third is out on Switch.

I completely misses thia, is that a sort of extra nonsense GTA clone?

I'm sure someone told me it was good once, is it worth lookimg at?

The Saints Row series, being lazy, is a GTA style game that doesn't take itself seriously. Lots of crazy set pieces, weapons etc. This is probably my favorite one from back in the day.

I've only seen one review that raised concerns about performance/graphics in docked mode, but the game itself is solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

OSI wrote: »
    You remember in the earlier GTA games when you spent hours just trying to see how much **** you could blow up, how many people you could mow over, and just generally how much chaos you could cause? That's Saints Row.

With added Dildo weapons"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I finished the 4 Saints Row games on the 360.
    Definitely have Saints Row 2 as the best one just the closest thing to PS2 era GTA that there has been since, then second best is SR: The Third just had the right amount of fun the 4th one felt like it went too far with OTT superpowers and the Alien invasion as the main focus was a bad idea.

SR3 spoilers
    Pretty sure Aliens invade late in the third but it wasn't a central plot point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

ERG89 wrote: »
    I finished the 4 Saints Row games on the 360.
    Definitely have Saints Row 2 as the best one just the closest thing to PS2 era GTA that there has been since, then second best is SR: The Third just had the right amount of fun the 4th one felt like it went too far with OTT superpowers and the Alien invasion as the main focus was a bad idea.

SR3 spoilers
    Pretty sure Aliens invade late in the third but it wasn't a central plot point.

Gat out hell really jumped the shark.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Picked up Fast RMX since it's discounted on the eShop. Have only played a few minutes so far but it seems set to fill the F-Zero-shaped gap left by Nintendo.

I mean, I'm pretty bad at it but that's nothing new when it comes to racing games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fysh wrote: »
    Picked up Fast RMX since it's discounted on the eShop. Have only played a few minutes so far but it seems set to fill the F-Zero-shaped gap left by Nintendo.

I mean, I'm pretty bad at it but that's nothing new when it comes to racing games :D

Argos have Trailblazers on sale at the moment I bought it myself but it's still sealed as I am playing other stuff at the moment looks like a cross between wipeout and F-Zero it's €14 in Argos so worth a go for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Fysh wrote: »

One of my favourite games on the Switch. Loved the Wii U version too. Brilliant game!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Has anyone played the Switch port of Clustertruck? I got it on Steam as part of a cheap bundle recently and the idea is fun but the execution feels wonky - poorly chosen non-remappable controller layout and no option for a 3rd person view. I had been considering the Switch version but with this control setup I think I'd just find it really irritating. (I'm already looking into modding options for the PC version, which doesn't exactly bode well...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Anyone know where I can pre order Mario maker 2 with the stylus? I've only seen the free keyring and 12 month online offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone know where I can pre order Mario maker 2 with the stylus? I've only seen the free keyring and 12 month online offer.

https://www.game.co.uk/en/super-mario-maker-2-with-game-exclusive-design-set-2579724

Is there any sport games worth playing for the switch?

Im a pro evo man so don't suggest fifa :pac:

Is there any sport games worth playing for the switch?

Im a pro evo man so don't suggest fifa :pac:

If you want to try it, NBA 2k19 is only 3$ on the US eshop at the moment

chrislad wrote: »
    If you want to try it, NBA 2k19 is only 3$ on the US eshop at the moment

Ya its the same on the us ps store atm as well.

I had an nba 2k game years ago think it was one the original games on the ps4. Sold it after a while just wanted it to be football :p.

Saying that im willing to try any games for the switch at this stage because ive found its the best way to find games you would never of went near otherwise!

That and my machine is hacked :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Having been playing my Switch on handheld a good bit this week I'm noticing how it's not the most comfortable for prolonged use.
    Was looking at the Satisfye grip and wondering what peoples thoughts were on it. Looks like it can only be ordered direct from the US. Coming in around €30 delivered.
    Anyone who has one know if this is a good price, or if
    there is somewhere closer they can be got from or of there is a good alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

skerry wrote: »
    Having been playing my Switch on handheld a good bit this week I'm noticing how it's not the most comfortable for prolonged use.
    Was looking at the Satisfye grip and wondering what peoples thoughts were on it. Looks like it can only be ordered direct from the US. Coming in around €30 delivered.
    Anyone who has one know if this is a good price, or if
    there is somewhere closer they can be got from or of there is a good alternative?

I have it and it's the best accessory I have for the Switch. Makes longer handheld sessions far more comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you can wait there's the new Hori grip coming in September that replaces the joycons with a giant split-in-half pro controller. $50+delivery and import duty from US. Seems quite expensive given they don't even have internal batteries but it *is* chunky as ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I have it and it's the best accessory I have for the Switch. Makes longer handheld sessions far more comfortable.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered one last night. Was browsing the site and they had an E3 discount lottery thing and managed to get a 35% discount code.

Hadn't used my Switch very much in handheld mode until now but have used it a lot this week now and finding it quite uncomfortable after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Did anybody buy Cadence of Hyrule??
    Saw it was like 20 more than Crypt of the Necrodancer so opted to get that instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

ERG89 wrote: »
    Did anybody buy Cadence of Hyrule??
    Saw it was like 20 more than Crypt of the Necrodancer so opted to get that instead.

Didn't get it myself but from what I've read it sounds like much more than a re-skin of Crypt. Supposed to be very good. Not sure it's my cup of tea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Anyone play Cities Skylines? Reading conflicted reports on its playability on the Switch port.

Cianos wrote: »
    Anyone play Cities Skylines? Reading conflicted reports on its playability on the Switch port.

Haven't actually played it, but I was once interested in buying it too, having put many hours into the PC version.

General consensus is that the game suffers technically. And I think a lot of the positive reviews made concessions for that because "the Switch is technically weaker than other consoles, but hey now it's portable!"

Plus, not likely to get any patches or DLC:
    Cities: Skylines on Switch probably won’t get performance updates or DLC

For €40, I definitely wouldn't bother. Plays far better on other platforms.

sugarman wrote: »
    Fifa is fairly rubbish on it anyway, I bought it for for €15 and have gotten some games out of it but its basically a reskinned Fifa 14 PS Vita port which I already owned. Controls are horrible too.

Football Manager isnt bad if youre into those? Its basically a port of the mobile version but its packed with features and can easily consume you as it does on PC. Not worth the €30-40 price tag mind, but since you can get it by other means ;) id give it a go.

NBA 2k19 aint bad, either picked it up for €3 as mentioned above. Not mad into basketball but its just something different you can fire up every now and then for a quick game.

Other than that, nothing else to write home about.

Might download nba2k19 try it out sometime. It's a pitty it's so hard to find a decent portable football game.

I've tried the football manager games for mobile there always a bit lacking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but the latest in the Radirgy series of Shmups has been released onto the Switch this week.
    Just downloading it from the Jpn Eshop for €16:50 and hopefully it won't be too Japanese dense!
    If you aren't familiar it's been out on Dreamcast and on 360, in various guises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm not sure how this will be taken, but thought that some people may want to know about it.

https://www.xda-developers.com/nintendo-switch-android-forums/
    We’re opening forums for Nintendo Switch Android hacking

Ever since Nintendo announced its portable game console, the Switch, back in 2017, console modding enthusiasts have waited for the device to be blown wide open. It only took a year for that to happen thanks to a vulnerability in the Switch’s SoC, the NVIDIA Tegra X1. The Switch modding community has rapidly grown since the disclosure of Fusée Gelée. There’s a ton of custom firmware, homebrew software, and even a full GNU/Linux distribution, but one development we’ve been eagerly waiting to see happen is an Android port. Now, thanks to the efforts of multiple developers, an Android port is nearly here for the Nintendo Switch. In anticipation of its release, we’re opening up forums dedicated to Android development for Nintendo’s portable console.

I have no doubt at all in my mind that I will be proven wrong, but right now I cannot see any point or reason to porting Android to it like an Nvidia Shield tablet, unless maybe you can switch between the two.. (pun intended).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

I have no idea what any of that means.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It will dual boot android and the Switch OS. At the moment, you boot into recovery mode and choose what to boot based on what's in your SD card. So you could potentially choose between the stock OS, Ubuntu, retroarch and now Android. Then just reboot to recovery mode to switch between them.

In terms of performance, I belive they're waiting on Nvidia to release some drivers. If that doesn't happen they'll have to write their own. I think Google has been doing some work to make this easier in general. But either way, it should be decent enough. There are some good mobile games out there that will suit the switch.

The xda announcement is good as there are some good devs on xda that will help with any issues with drivers and "stability"!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, looks like the Switch Mini has been leaked via a 3rd party accessory manufacturer
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/are-these-the-first-pictures-of-the-switch-mini/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

When do games normally become available to play off the e shop? Pre bought My Friend Pedro which releases today. But my console keeps telling me it's not available to play yet. Is this a time zone thing or what's going on?

• Advertisement

When do games normally become available to play off the e shop? Pre bought My Friend Pedro which releases today. But my console keeps telling me it's not available to play yet. Is this a time zone thing or what's going on?

I heard it's supposed to be live from 2pm. I've had games go live 10pm the day before, and games not go live until 7pm of the day, so it does range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah i find most games that unlock on a specific date dont actually go by any reasonable European times, its always american friendly and its usually times after 17:00 for us. Its a pain in the hoop and wasnt always the way, i think it changed because Americans were moaning other regions got to play before them :rolleyes:

Cheers guys. Figured it was something like that with the Americans. Will hopefully get to play it this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Caved in and bought a switch again. Got one at the start for Zelda. And have been dying the last few months to give it another play. I think it will last longer than the two weeks I previously had the switch :D

Anyone picking up Crash Team Racing?? reviews seem great, love games where I can pop on and play for a half hour without getting to invested (have a newborn around so playing time very limited). Im ready for a break from Mario Kart so this may be good for me.

Anyone picking up Crash Team Racing?? reviews seem great, love games where I can pop on and play for a half hour without getting to invested (have a newborn around so playing time very limited). Im ready for a break from Mario Kart so this may be good for me.

I had about 20quid in coins that I didn't realised so I took a chance at 20 on top of that. I've not played it yet, but it's getting positive reviews, but some complaints about load times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

chrislad wrote: »
    I had about 20quid in coins that I didn't realised so I took a chance at 20 on top of that. I've not played it yet, but it's getting positive reviews, but some complaints about load times.

Was available for around €30 from a few retailers (I got it for €31 from Amazon.fr).

Probably not a game to buy digital for me in case I get bored quickly.

Picking it up at lunch time. Will give my thoughts on it this evening.

Edit: played about 2 hours tonight. General thoughts:
    Looks gorgeous. Handles exactly the same as the original PS1 game as far as i can tell.
    Medium difficulty is tough enough. Took me a few goes to win certain races. Easy is..... easy.
    Online is broken so far. Hopefully it gets fixed.
    The loading times are a tad long.
    All in all, really enjoying it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Does anyone else think Nintendo might enable a way to use the Switch Mini as a Wii U style gamepad for the OG Switch?

Shower thought I had today, obviously contingent on the Switch Mini becoming a reality, which seems pretty likely at this stage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Does anyone else think Nintendo might enable a way to use the Switch Mini as a Wii U style gamepad for the OG Switch?

Shower thought I had today, obviously contingent on the Switch Mini becoming a reality, which seems pretty likely at this stage...

Won't happen

Advertisement