Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I know there are a few other threads in the past, but looking at a JoyCon repair as the drift is sadly becoming unbearable in one of the sticks. I know the US repairs are free but am I right in saying that's not necessarily the case here? What are other people's experiences like? Not sure if I still have proof of purchase knocking around anywhere...

Yeah, Nintendo charge a fee from the last time I sent one in, if you don't have proof of purchase. I can't recall how much exactly but it wasn't a small fee. They sent it back unfixed after I didn't agree to pay.

A previous set continued to drift a couple of months after Nintendo 'repaired' them anyway so I bought electrical contact cleaner in Woodies and a spray of that has fixed my drift for the past 5 months and for much cheaper too. So maybe the contact cleaner is worth a shot first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Gru

I know there are a few other threads in the past, but looking at a JoyCon repair as the drift is sadly becoming unbearable in one of the sticks. I know the US repairs are free but am I right in saying that's not necessarily the case here? What are other people's experiences like? Not sure if I still have proof of purchase knocking around anywhere...

i e-mailed Nintendo customer care about it and they have so far fixed 6 of our 8 joy cons (drift was evident in all of them both right and left as all were bought around launch)

All were repaired free of charge and with one joy con they added a free repair to a broken rail (the bit at the side that clicks into the console, that joy con would slide on and off without needing a button pressed), no issue since the repairs on any of them so far...

e-mailed to get the postage labels to send the last two for repair and this time they gave me this link to book it in: Nintendo Repair

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Xofpod

You can edit a post you know.

I'm old-school

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Thinking about getting a Lite to play handheld as I can't really get with the regular version in handheld mode.

Is the general thing to make the Lite your primary system in regards to having your account on both devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Thinking about getting a Lite to play handheld as I can't really get with the regular version in handheld mode.

Is the general thing to make the Lite your primary system in regards to having your account on both devices?

Depends which one will get played more. Cartridges are fine, but download games can only be played by one Switch at a time. The secondary console will always try and phone home to see if the primary one is being played and wont let both play download games at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Also you will need to keep an eye on your cloud saves (if you have NSO) and ensure you are playing on the latest save on whichever device you're on.

Not sure which I will use most tbh, hopefully the Lite gets some use though!, was mainly thinking to remove any need for internet connectivity from it. The regular will be permanently docked so won’t be an issue for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Not sure which I will use most tbh, hopefully the Lite gets some use though!, was mainly thinking to remove any need for internet connectivity from it. The regular will be permanently docked so won’t be an issue for that.

Then the Lite would need to be set as the Primary console and you'll be good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know how anybody can use the switch in hand held mode. It hampers the graphics in Mario Odessey and also breath of the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Only thing I struggled with in BOTW in handheld mode was the 4 divine beasts

• Advertisement

Only thing I struggled with in BOTW in handheld mode was the 4 divine beasts

I don't know how you managed that. Also forgot to say they are the only two major games I have. I only own three games for the switch.

I should really pick up Luigi's Mansion as I played the one on the Gamecube years ago.

I completed Super Meat Boy Dark World in handheld. Must have that game on 10 systems and that’s the only time I’ve ever done that.

Funnily enough, I enjoyed Luigis Mansion more in handheld as well. Got lost for hours in it.

It’s mainly if I don’t play handheld for a while when I go back to it it feels uncomfortable to hold. I’m afraid I might actually snap the thing in half in a fit of (justified) rage.

*rage is justified as I have discovered games are trying to cheat me. It seems to be getting worse the older I get. Most unfair ðŸ™*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I don't know how anybody can use the switch in hand held mode. It hampers the graphics in Mario Odessey and also breath of the wild.

I only played them handheld... Am I missing something? 🀔

Grassey wrote: »
    I only played them handheld... Am I missing something? ��

Yea they would have looked a lot better on a 24" 1080P monitor.

I picked 24" 1080p as it would be the best way for the pixels. If you have a massive 1080p screen it would probably look blocky as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I've hooked my switch up to the TV less than 10 times in 2 years. All for Mario Kart, everything else is handheld.

Completed Odyssey with no issues and currently over 350 hours of animal crossing I would imagine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ultimately it comes down to taste.
    I play my Switch 50/50 between handheld and TV and I've lost nothing choosing either.
    Some games look better on the big screen but they still look great on the devices screen.
    Of course, this is only my opinion.
    The games though, are playable in either fashion, and I've had hours of enjoyment both in Hyrule and New Donk City regardless of the size of the screen at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lads, going to be picking up a Switch for *ahem* the kids for this December. Are there usually bundle deals to be had closer to the time, or I am better just grabbing one from Smyths while they have loads? Between shipping and wait times, seems pretty competitive when compared to Amazon.

Get one now as who knows if there will be any left you could wait 7 weeks until Brack Friday but I'd get one now with Mario All Stars. €375 from Smyths.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-neon-console-and-select-game/b/800424

• Advertisement

Need to get a set of joy-cons tomorrow morning emergency lockdown protocol kit and all that. ;)

Think I'm gonna go with grey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Glad I took your advice, picked up a Switch with Mario Kart this morning. My wife had seen a tonne of them in Carrickmines last week, but most Smyths shops were sold out by lunchtime today.

When relatives ask what to get the kids for Xmas, I'll tell them games, and Santa will bring me Mario Odyssey or Zelda, so we should have a decent library come Xmas day.

:) (hope the kids enjoy it) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I bought a switch lite :D

Planning to get Pokemon Shield , Zelda and Ultimate Alliance 3 and possibly Luigi's mansion

any help getting started would be great is there anything I need like memory cards or any stuff like that

Hold off on Shield there is a dlc edition coming in early November with the game and both dlc in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I bought a switch lite :D

Planning to get Pokemon Shield , Zelda and Ultimate Alliance 3 and possibly Luigi's mansion

any help getting started would be great is there anything I need like memory cards or any stuff like that

If you're getting all of those on cartridge you'll probably be OK for memory card. But you will no doubt need a memory card at some point as the internal memory on Switch is tiny (32gb).
    I'd recommend a screen protector and a carry case. And depending on how long you game for at a time, a power bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

128GB memory card is on sale on mymemory at the minute and they take around 2 weeks to deliver - https://www.mymemory.co.uk/sandisk-128gb-ultra-micro-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-a1-100mb-s.html

As mentioned, a memory card is probably needed. I don't play half as much as others here but I had to buy a 256GB card :D
    The sales!! The sales'll get ya.... Before you know it you'll have 6,87000000 games and no idea where they all came from :pac:

I bought the official 128gb memory card for £19.99 on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KXQX3S3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 :D

Haha, I know it's really a 50% mark up but it's only £6 at the end of the day. And look at it, it has a mushroom on it! (Not sure why tbh, maybe some kind of drug thing? ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Suckit wrote: »
    128GB memory card is on sale on mymemory at the minute and they take around 2 weeks to deliver - https://www.mymemory.co.uk/sandisk-128gb-ultra-micro-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-a1-100mb-s.html

As mentioned, a memory card is probably needed. I don't play half as much as others here but I had to buy a 256GB card :D
    The sales!! The sales'll get ya.... Before you know it you'll have 6,87000000 games and no idea where they all came from :pac:

Grabbed that thanks :)

Next on the list is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 , Breath of the Wild and Pokemon Shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

For Nintendo e-cards. Can they only be used on the Nintendo store? And can they only be used for digital editions? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

If I want to play it docked between two rooms what’s the best options?
    Are there generic trustworthy docking stations that aren’t too expensive ?
    Alternatively I could buy a second power cable and move the dock itself from time to time ?
    It will be the odd night the odd weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hold off on Shield there is a dlc edition coming in early November with the game and both dlc in the box.

£70 on Amazon, no thanks

€70 on Gamestop, not as bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I really wanted to get stuck in this evening and my right joycon is not connecting or charging. Just outside of warranty too.

Nintendo you've done it again!!

km79 wrote: »
    If I want to play it docked between two rooms what’s the best options?
    Are there generic trustworthy docking stations that aren’t too expensive ?
    Alternatively I could buy a second power cable and move the dock itself from time to time ?
    It will be the odd night the odd weekend

It's such a simple setup there's no need for a second dock or anything. It takes about 30 seconds to set it up.

It's such a simple setup there's no need for a second dock or anything. It takes about 30 seconds to set it up.

The problem is access behind the main tv
    Not possible to unplug it without moving the while unit all the time

The problem is access behind the main tv
    Not possible to unplug it without moving the while unit all the time

Ahh
    A spare power cable and possibly a HDMI if needed then. I would imagine a power cable would be cheaper than a dock, not sure if a regular USB type C would do the job or not.

Ahh
    A spare power cable and possibly a HDMI if needed then. I would imagine a power cable would be cheaper than a dock, not sure if a regular USB type C would do the job or not.

I have any amount of hdmi cables
    I must look up the specs of the power cable so and see what’s on Amazon
    Thanks

I have any amount of hdmi cables
    I must look up the specs of the power cable so and see what’s on Amazon
    Thanks

There's a cheaper one on amazon, its £16.99. Official is €30

There's a cheaper one on amazon, its £16.99. Official is €30

That will do
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

siblers wrote: »
    For Nintendo e-cards. Can they only be used on the Nintendo store? And can they only be used for digital editions? Thanks

Yeah, that's buying credit for the Nintendo e-shop, to for buying digital copies of games.

Is there any point wasting time and money researching third party controllers?
    We got a pro style on amazon two weeks ago
    Over 1000 reviews
    Mainly positive
    Has gone haywire this evening !

Might have to bite the bullet and pay extortionate fee for the two real ones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

Is there any point wasting time and money researching third party controllers?
    We got a pro style on amazon two weeks ago
    Over 1000 reviews
    Mainly positive
    Has gone haywire this evening !

Might have to bite the bullet and pay extortionate fee for the two real ones

A lot of fake reviews. Check out the one, two, three star reviews for a better picture. There ARE good 3rd party controllers, but the 15 euro or 2 for 20 ones are going to most probably be crap.

I bet people on here can recommend something decent.
    8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ supposed to be good but it's 40 quid.

Note: the official joycons are a blight on Nintendo's fine controller history. Expensive and fragile. The official pro is lovely and sometimes 50 stg on Amazon UK. Try Amazon EU stores for lower prices too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have only heard positive things about the 8Bitdo controllers, but they're spendy enough.

I've been fairly fortunate so far with my Beboncool PXN for £27, but I haven't seen it available for a while.

I say "fortunate" - it's mostly fine but occasionally it has a blip where it thinks the right stick is permanently in the "down" position and you have to powercycle the controller or the Switch to clear it. Still, at somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 the price of the official Pro controller I can live with that...

Also worth noting that if you for some reason have GC controllers lying around you can get reasonably reliable GC-to-USB adapters for ~£20. Or there are licensed 3rd party Switch-compatible controllers (£20) that might be worth a look...

I got cheap Wii and Wii U 3rd party controllers. They were terrible. Sold to CEX for about 3 euro ...

Have a switch xenoblade pro controller that i bought years ago, that I could sell in CEX today for 60 euro. Not that I'd sell it. :)

I think the pro can experience drift but that hasn't happened to me.

Also check out the mayflash magic NS if you want to connect other quality 1st party Nintendo, Xbox, playstation controllers you might have lying around to your switch. It's cheap. And works. You might not get motion control though which is a problem for some games.

kingbowser wrote: »
    I got cheap Wii and Wii U 3rd party controllers. They were terrible. Sold to CEX for about 3 euro ...

Have a switch xenoblade pro controller that i bought years ago, that I could sell in CEX today for 60 euro. Not that I'd sell it. :)

I think the pro can experience drift but that hasn't happened to me.

Also check out the mayflash magic NS if you want to connect other quality 1st party Nintendo, Xbox, playstation controllers you might have lying around to your switch. It's cheap. And works. You might not get motion control though which is a problem for some games.

We have an Xbox one with 4 controllers !

We have an Xbox one with 4 controllers !

Win win. 20 stg Amazon. But double check first. No motion control so some games won't work so well or at all. But not many of those. Xbox one controller is a great controller.

kingbowser wrote: »
    Win win. 20 stg Amazon. But double check first. No motion control so some games won't work so well or at all. But not many of those. Xbox one controller is a great controller.

I’m gonna go for this short term. Do I need one per controller ?
    May get the pro controller from Santa then :D
    That supports motion control right ?

I’m gonna go for this short term. Do I need one per controller ?
    May get the pro controller from Santa then :D
    That supports motion control right ?

One per controller. But please Google to make sure of details with multiple ones and check details on Amazon com and co UK. I have one and use a Wii U pro controller and it's fine. No motion control for Zelda botw which is a big loss but fine for most games especially as an extra controller.

Yep, the official Nintendo pro controller does everything right. Very similar to Xbox controller plus motion control. Can't understand why the Xbox controllers don't do motion control. Works beautifully for games like BOTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Whats the best place to get official Joy-cons pricewise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Really on the fence about picking up (trying to convince myself) a nintendo switch lite preferably.

Dont know anyone with one and im looking for any info or advice in regards to usability, positives, price of games and where to get best prices etc!!

• Advertisement

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Really on the fence about picking up (trying to convince myself) a nintendo switch lite preferably.

Dont know anyone with one and im looking for any info or advice in regards to usability, positives, price of games and where to get best prices etc!!

Regular Switch if you want the full fat Switch experience. Lite is portable only.

Advertisement