Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nintendo-earnings-idUSBREA0G09M20140117

Let's see. Wii U sold out everywhere for the first 6 weeks or so, then collapsed after Christmas. We can take encouragement from the fact that there's no holiday period this time boosting sales figures and (Ireland aside), demand seems strong despite limited games announcements. Nintendo need to take advantage of this and keep interest high. E3 can't come around quickly enough

nintendo didnt do themselves any favours with the wii u. i mean i have one and still have some great games to get through on it and have had some of the best games i have played in the last 5 years however just looking at the first 12 months and the bare published by nintendo themselves on it and compare that to the switchs already announced for this year(let alone could have more added at e3) i mean i count about 3ish nintendo games none of which were anything special compared to tentive 9 or 10 published by them by years end. even if a lot are ports its more options for people who havent had a wii u

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Switch right now doesn't have a lot of great games. It has Zelda but that's a Wii U port. Out this week was Lego City Undercover, another Wii U port. The next big release? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, again another Wii U port. Not until Splatoon 2 does it have its first real game and that looks like a remix of the Wii U version. Smash Bros. Wii U we all know is coming too. We've been starved on Wii U for years so that we could be in this situation. Its one real Switch game so far is 1, 2 Switch and I couldn't say anything nice about that, quite the opposite. We're not at the end of all the Wii U ports, there's bound to be more. Super Mario Maker? Where's that Pikmin 4 that was supposed to be practically finished before disappearing without trace?

Where's the big 3rd party games? Where's the Virtual Console, online details, browser, apps? I don't believe Nintendo are fully ready. Right now the Switch is living off Zelda, some indie games and 20 year old NEO GEO games. It's sold well so far, but so did Wii U at this point. That €330 price tag is not going to win the casual market. €330 without a game, hidden extra costs. The Wii had a buzz, had a mass market price and a pack-in game. The Switch does not. I don't see anyone interested in it, just in forums. Still haven't seen a single ad and keep meaning to send off an e-mail to RTE about that. E3 for me will tell so much about how the Switch will do long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye that's exactly why I haven't SWITCHed yet. Even the new Mario game doesn't seem appealing to me.
    I'm happy with my Wii U where I can play NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U games all in one box, via emulation and what-not.
    The only game I'm missing out on is Bomberman-R at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Wait... why would you send an email to RTÉ?

DinoRex wrote: »
    Wait... why would you send an email to RTÉ?

I don't believe they've shown a single Switch ad but I want to be sure. Don't know if they'll give me that information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭geotrig

wait surely nintendo ire.... no wait :pac:

Im not sure ive seen any game console ads on rte , do microsoft even have ads ?

sligeach wrote: »
    I don't believe they've shown a single Switch ad but I want to be sure. Don't know if they'll give me that information.

but see the thing like alot of companies ,they bundle us in with the uk as advertising revenue so no real spend here , at the end of the day we are a very small market and this is the same with alot of brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Nintendo won't give a toss about the Irish market. We're a small nation of less than 5 million people on the other side of the world. Nintendo UK have had ads on TV in the UK but again, they have no interest in Ireland. We'll never see any advert on RTE, that would just be a waste of money.

They will of course be aware that those UK channels are available here so will be seen here anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Nintendo won't give a toss about the Irish market. We're a small nation of less than 5 million people on the other side of the world. Nintendo UK have had ads on TV in the UK but again, they have no interest in Ireland. We'll never see any advert on RTE, that would just be a waste of money.

They will of course be aware that those UK channels are available here so will be seen here anyway

When you think about the number of channels on sky compared to the 4 channels we have here, it makes sense.

Exactly. And the general content of our channels compared with dedicated kids' channels on Sky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It has Zelda but that's a Wii U port.

G'way. Like game launched on 2 consoles on the same day isn't a port, this is childish reductive nonsense, it began it's life maybe 6 years ago as an intended Wii U game, but it is not by any stretch of the imagination a Wii U port.

The rest of the post is mostly the same redundant ****e I keep hearing:

Rabble: 'Where are the games?'
    Developers who have released 30-odd games in the first month: 'Here they are.'
    Rabble: 'No, not those games. Other games, differenter games. You wound me.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When you think about the number of channels on sky compared to the 4 channels we have here, it makes sense.

The UK has 5 terrestrial channels compared to our 4.
    Those sky channels you mention are available both here and in the UK, with advertising tailored for the relevant locations.
    The market/population that's watching is the important thing, hence the value for money in placing video gaming advertising on TV, or lack thereof​.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Nintendo classes UK and Ireland as one country and all the cash gets spend on advertising in UK because in Nintendo eyes Ireland is a part of the UK except when it comes to ordering from its UK and Ireland website.

Maybe someone should tell Sony's advertising department to stop wasting their money so. See ads for PS4 on near permanently on Irish channels. And when a new game is released you'll know about it whether you care or not. Couldn't tell you how many times I seen that Horizon: Zero Dawn ad, must be at least 50 times. Nintendo have always been a stingy, stingy, miserly company when it comes to spending money on advertising.

Could be that Nintendo don't focus too much on Ireland based on historical sales. I've never felt that any Nintendo console did particularly well here. I used to get slagged in school for having a SNES when it seemed like everyone else had a megadrive :rolleyes:
    But I'm purely speculating there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

rte are too concerned in spending money on such quality content like fair city

Maybe someone should tell Sony's advertising department to stop wasting their money so. See ads for PS4 on near permanently on Irish channels. And when a new game is released you'll know about it whether you care or not. Couldn't tell you how many times I seen that Horizon: Zero Dawn ad, must be at least 50 times. Nintendo have always been a stingy, stingy, miserly company when it comes to spending money on advertising.

i thought you dont watch normal tv ?

magnumbud wrote: »
    rte are too concerned in spending money on such quality content like fair city

And original content like Prancing with the Z listers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Switch doesn't have a buzz? I'd disagree with that strongly. It's easy to say these games are ports but they are ports that in comparitive terms not a whole lot of people played, which was Nintendo's fault of course, but games like Mario Kart and Splatoon will be heavy sellers in their own right on the Switch. The schedule has been known for a while, so saying there's no third parties while knowing full well there are games coming down the line is a false argument when the information is there, only over a month after launch. People have the choice whether they buy the console and ports or not, but the fact that it has the unique portability option to these games and will have quite substantial sales based on that alone is conveniently bypassed by some people.

In Ireland's capital city, on Henry Street, one of the country's busiest streets, this is Nintendo's presence in Gamestop. 3 platforms in 1 section(Wii U, 3DS and Switch). Granted it's towards the front but I didn't see a single person even look at the section and I watched for about 10 minutes. It's the same size as the PS3 area.
    C81H5GFXsAAiaPl.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

sligeach wrote:
    In Ireland's capital city, on Henry Street, one of the country's busiest streets, this is Nintendo's presence in Gamestop. 3 platforms in 1 section(Wii U, 3DS and Switch). Granted it's towards the front but I didn't see a single person even look at the section and I watched for about 10 minutes. It's the same size as the PS3 area.

I imagine you standing there glaring kept the populace well away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Who the hell stays in that Gamestop for ten minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Who the hell stays in that Gamestop for ten minutes?

is gamestop even Gamestop anymore seriously most of the shop is now T-shirts and pop figures

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

dunworth1 wrote: »
    is gamestop even Gamestop anymore seriously most of the shop is now T-shirts and pop figures

In that particular store though, the bottom is Gamestop and the top is their tat shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

This post has honestly baffled me.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers has gone gold. The news was announced by the series executive producer, Yoshinori Ono on Twitter.

The game is due for release on May 23rd here and worldwide.

• Oooo online street fighter :)
    What's the price point?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Oooo online street fighter
    What's the price point?

Full price retail game it appears. This was an XBOX360 Live game that cost I think less than €15. Now they've put it on a cartridge, stuck some horrendous first person mode in it, gave a palette swap to Ryu and Ken, calling them Evil Ryu and Violent Ken with a €50 price tag slapped on the front because if Konami can try it with Bomberman, so can Capcom with Street Fighter.

Could the reason that Nintendo got so little space be because they had to make room for all the useless tac that you see littering all GameStop's now?

• Advertisement

Could the reason that Nintendo got so little space be because they had to make room for all the useless tac that you see littering all GameStop's now?

No, it's a big enough store. Ground floor is all games, upstairs is where they keep the tat. I didn't realise it at the time but they don't have Lego City Undercover. Well they do for the Wii U.

Advertisement