Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Irish retailers don't ever seem committed to Nintendo in general.
    Tesco don't even know Switch is a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

What's no more heros like?.

As thinking of getting something to play today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

What's no more heros like?.

Has been Hero's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

fixxxer wrote: »
    Has been Hero's?

That's the one stop Facepam getting them mixed up

It's not getting great reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Gamestop has not been selling much games lately that's why they have moved into "Geek Culture" they say it's digital downloads and people are not buying physical games. Which is bull everyone knows you could nearly get 3 new releases online for the price gamestop charges for 2.

As for the switch well the last couple of physical games I bought where online from Asia and USA cause you can't buy them over here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

sligeach wrote: »
    In Ireland's capital city, on Henry Street, one of the country's busiest streets, this is Nintendo's presence in Gamestop. 3 platforms in 1 section(Wii U, 3DS and Switch). Granted it's towards the front but I didn't see a single person even look at the section and I watched for about 10 minutes. It's the same size as the PS3 area.

Ah, they have cases at least. Thanks, I've been looking for one.

They have a fairly large Nintendo presence out in Smyths in Blanchardstown tho it's always going to be less than the PS/Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I think we're probably taking the evidence of sligeach standing and staring in Gamestop a little too seriously :pac:

If you look at that display in fact, 5 of them are currently available to buy (Unless I missed one), and the rest are pre order. Looking at pre order boxes really isn't that much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The 2 Gamestops near me both have a pretty decent Switch section and definitely bigger than any Wii U one they ever had, even when that launched. Plenty of instore advertising of it too, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I think we're probably taking the evidence of sligeach standing and staring in Gamestop a little too seriously :pac:

If you look at that display in fact, 5 of them are currently available to buy (Unless I missed one), and the rest are pre order. Looking at pre order boxes really isn't that much fun.

And the only 1 of those 5 games worth the money is Zelda(which is a Wii U port). Though Gamestop charge €70. Super Bomberman R is alright, but not at €50. I tried to drum up some interest in the Switch while there but it didn't seem to work for some reason.
    irO2B.gif

Edit: What's up with this site not recognising the Euro symbol? Keep having to edit.

• Advertisement

Switch sells 137000 (software) units in the UK during first month

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-sells-137000-units-in-the-uk-during-first-month/

Wii U by the way sold over 50,000 games in the same time period.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

And the only 1 of those 5 games worth the money is Zelda(which is a Wii U port).

This hasn't become true overnight.

mayordenis wrote: »
    This hasn't become true overnight.

I know, I'm just referring to Miles' assessment of the photo and how 3 of the 8 games on the shelf aren't out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Referring to Zelda as a Wii U port is nonsense. I'm out. Have fun.

Was in Gamestop earlier to use voucher had got as a present, hung around for a while flicking through the pre owned titles. 2 people bought the Switch with Zelda while I was there and another got a case and an extra set of joy cons. Same person also pre ordered Mario Kart.

Saw Sniper Elite for Wii U in there as well, pretty uncommon Wii U game to see instore so picked it up.

Danonino. wrote: »
    Referring to Zelda as a Wii U port is nonsense. I'm out. Have fun.

What is it then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What is it then?

They were releasing it to the WiiU, then delayed the release to make it for the Switch.
    Its no more a port than Doom 3 was on the PS4, when compared to it on PC or XB1.
    Let's call it a cross platform release, on Nintendo home hardware.
    Due to the time they had with BotW, they could tailor the game to the Switches strengths, so that is the platform that hosts the definitive edition of the game.

What is it then?

You always use it in that way to be a negative against the Switch though i.e. the big launch title was only a port etc. It's not a port in the traditional sense as it never came out on a previous platform first, and was modified specifically for the Switch with the changing of the Sheikah tablet parts. We all know it started as a Wii U game of course.

Due to the time they had with BotW, they could tailor the game to the Switches strengths, so that is the platform that hosts the definitive edition of the game.

Nonsense!

Sorry my bad, you can name your horse using the Switch touchscreen. *drop mic*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nonsense!

Sorry my bad, you can name your horse using the Switch touchscreen. *drop mic*

Well, you would say that, you don't own a Switch... #sorry/notsorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Alright chums, I also went in Gamestop Henry Street today and observed the Switch section! Whilst flicking through the PS4 games so I didn't look weird.

17759957_687354041447663_4754946096337119206_n.jpg?oh=2b8f2379d3216c39e43eb9bbe1dea11b&oe=59916C82

17634439_687354091447658_3546361379213571606_n.jpg?oh=eb3819889bbdff98f0423562154db1d6&oe=595B5046

Thats 3 people looking in the 2 minutes I was there! Switch is saved, Nintendo will rule the console space for the next 7 generations!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fake news.

Have never seen a pink scribble head shop in GameStop. And I stood watching the PSP section for five hours one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Fake Alternative news.

Have never seen a pink scribble head shop in GameStop.

Fixed your post :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Sligeach, out of this thread! You've not switching! You're stilling Wii-ing! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Nonsense!

So you are saying all multi platform games are a port?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

What is it then?

Stop. It's gotten weird.

Fake news.

Have never seen a pink scribble head shop in GameStop. And I stood watching the PSP section for five hours one time.

I've seen them, but you have to exchange a head full of pink scribbles for a head full of heroin.
    They too stand watching the PSP section for five hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

chrislad wrote: »
    Sligeach, out of this thread! You've not switching! You're stilling Wii-ing! :D

Start another thread called "I'm SWITCHless! General discussion and photos of Gamestop displays".

I don't know what bringing negative articles to a thread full of Switch owners is supposed to achieve. Feel free to justify not getting a Switch somewhere else.

In truth there are users here who have an opinion on the Switch, despite not owning one, and are entitled to express it.
    Once expressed we all have the right to then debate it, and let folk draw their own conclusions from the points made.
    Ultimately though, unless it's a direct attempt to aggro users here, no one has the right to censor another.
    And there are very few people who use this forum that are entirely of a single position, people can be for or against something, depending on what's going on, and that's cool, views change.
    The debate and chat are what makes the forum vibrant and interesting, rather than a glorified echo chamber where we pat ourselves on the back for being oh so right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Taking pictures of folks browsing in a shop? What are ya like!

Advertisement