Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Skittle wrote: »
    I think the problem with the WiFi I similar to the problem I had. My router is a crappy Virgin Media one and only broadcasts on 2.4GHz/5 GHz at one time, the Switch only connects on 2.4GHz I think. Go back to your WiFi router settings and change the frequency.

Good shout. Did that fix do the trick sugarman?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

The Switch is capable of connecting to both 2.4 and 5ghz frequencies. Mine connects to both without issue.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Just picked up a switch today. Only played with it briefly.

The guy in curry’s looked at me like some kinda weirdo cause I wanted the Pokemon version? :)

It’s currently charging, gonna give it a good blast later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What’s the price like on games digitally compared to physical ?

Still holding out on buying a switch. Keep changing my mind last minute. But I’d hope to avoid buying physical copies of games and have all the games bought online.

Always gobsmacked at how on psonline or Xbox live on the 360 digital copies were the same price or more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,053 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TheDoc wrote: »
    What’s the price like on games digitally compared to physical ?

Still holding out on buying a switch. Keep changing my mind last minute. But I’d hope to avoid buying physical copies of games and have all the games bought online.

Always gobsmacked at how on psonline or Xbox live on the 360 digital copies were the same price or more expensive.

Games are always the same price digitally and physically. Nintendo won't sell a game for less on the eShop because B&M stores wouldn't stock the games if they can't make money on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Games are always the same price digitally and physically. Nintendo won't sell a game for less on the eShop because B&M stores wouldn't stock the games if they can't make money on them.

I got Octopath for 35 euro on the Nintendo store but it was 50 in Smyth's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Some great digital bargains to be got lately, especially on the SA or Russian stores!

I got Octopath for 35 euro on the Nintendo store but it was 50 in Smyth's.

Obviously games will be reduced in sales.

That’s disappointing. Thought someone like Nintendo might lead the way in that regard considering how their game lineup tends to go

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

tony1980 wrote: »
    Some great digital bargains to be got lately, especially on the SA or Russian stores!

Is there instructions on how to change your region? Or even a list of prices comparing stores?

• Advertisement

That’s disappointing. Thought someone like Nintendo might lead the way in that regard considering how their game lineup tends to go

It wouldn't work at the minute. If Nintendo continued to undercut B&M stores for digital games compared to physical games you'd quickly see those B&M stores drop Nintendo's products.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Until we reach the inevitable all digital console generation, you won't see reasonable digital prices until discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Until we reach the inevitable all digital console generation, you won't see reasonable digital prices until discounted.

Exactly, until then, they are just gonna cash in on laziness :pac::D

It wouldn't work at the minute. If Nintendo continued to undercut B&M stores for digital games compared to physical games you'd quickly see those B&M stores drop Nintendo's products.

Well reason I say I’d expect them to lead the way is because only their own games do well. And I don’t see why they wouldn’t take the step to deliver straight to players and cut out all the other stuff.

Nintendo have always seemed to me to be the console and company that could direct sell to players and succeed.

They have a serious loyal fan base and really don’t operate on whimsical or “on a whim” purchases I’d imagine.

Going to go on a limb that most of the owners here if they could only buy the switch from Nintendo for 250 euro, they’d still have bought one ?

Don’t think that reasoning stacks up when you see many industries knowingly destroying the legacy retail relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Inviere

If closed ecosystems like the eStore, Xbl, and Psn become the only way to buy games, I wouldn’t bet on seeing much in the way of price drops.

Inviere wrote: »
    If closed ecosystems like the eStore, Xbl, and Psn become the only way to buy games, I wouldn’t bet on seeing much in the way of price drops.

We do on PC, the only platform to fully embrace all digital. That's our only piece of evidence to go on and it's substantial.

Steam were having ridiculous sales even before alternatives like GOG came along. Their pricing for new games is cheaper than the console equivalent too which is how it should be.

We do on PC, the only platform to fully embrace all digital. That's our only piece of evidence to go on and it's substantial.

Steam were having ridiculous sales even before alternatives like GOG came along. Their pricing for new games is cheaper than the console equivalent too which is how it should be.

Well there is plenty more. Music, video, film, comics.

Recently just started going full digital with my comics. Wouldn’t mind it’s not even direct from suppliers. Fraction of the normal price and while sure I feel bad for comic stores, reality is I never had affinity for any as I had no local one.

I’ll probably still look to stay as digital copy as I can with switch games. Massively appeals to me to just have all the games either on the device or on a spare SD card (assuming that’s how it works ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There are significant differences in that for Valve, Steam is the platform not PC. They are predominantly a distributor rather than a developer now. They have different values and as rosey a future as it suggests it's naive to think - based off their history in maintaining 1st party software prices and in under-speccing system storage - that Nintendo going all digital would be positive for consumers' wallets.

Banjo wrote: »
    There are significant differences in that for Valve, Steam is the platform not PC. They are predominantly a distributor rather than a developer now. They have different values and as rosey a future as it suggests it's naive to think - based off their history in maintaining 1st party software prices and in under-speccing system storage - that Nintendo going all digital would be positive for consumers' wallets.

Developer CD Projekt Red own and distribute games through GOG. Although they don't have the same expansive library as Steam, any titles they do provide are DRM free (unlike Steam), meaning customers are not reliant on the existence of GOG to play the games they bought and CDPR don't have their fingers in the pie so to speak once the transaction is complete like Valve does. Epic Games also recently created a distribution store which is DRM free. Two very large developers.

You're right though, Nintendo are the company I would worry about the most. At the moment their digital first party titles fall in line with what Sony & MS are providing, with digital prices being the same price or higher than the physical equivalents. Problem is their 'sale' prices are only marginally below the physical. Still, Microsoft are paving the way for pro-consumer initiatives at the moment. Nintendo will have no choice but to follow suit in their own way.

Next gen will be very interesting.
    Recently just started going full digital with my comics.

Just discovered comiXology yesterday. :) Works great on a tablet.

Never gave the medium a chance apart from my addiction to Beano and Dandy back in the day so I'm excited to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

What's the best value way to buy a Switch at the moment? I have a One4All voucher with around €220 on it and am thinking of picking up a Switch

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    What's the best value way to buy a Switch at the moment? I have a One4All voucher with around €220 on it and am thinking of picking up a Switch

Smash or Pokémon bundle in Smyth's was good value. Think it was €349.

Smash or Pokémon bundle in Smyth's was good value. Think it was €349.

Unfortunately Smyth's don't take the One 4 All Voucher (no idea why, I was ready to spend hundreds in there over Christmas if they took it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Cianos wrote: »
    Unfortunately Smyth's don't take the One 4 All Voucher (no idea why, I was ready to spend hundreds in there over Christmas if they took it)

One 4 all can take over 10% of the sale in some cases/stores. Smyths obviously don't wanna lose that much of the sale price.

I think I'll just grab one in Gamestop they take the vouchers

PC is about as far from a closed ecosystem as you can get, it’s not at all an apt comparison. It’s literally full of competing stores, some better value than others. Imagine the Nintendo eShop was the only way to buy Switch games, or PSN was the only way to buy PS4 games...there’s zero competition, which if you want to summon evidence, is always bad for the customer ;)

PC is about as far from a closed ecosystem as you can get, it’s not at all an apt comparison. It’s literally full of competing stores, some better value than others. Imagine the Nintendo eShop was the only way to buy Switch games, or PSN was the only way to buy PS4 games...there’s zero competition, which if you want to summon evidence, is always bad for the customer ;)

Of course it's apt. It shows you the value of competition for a start. Consoles are restricted to an extent by their reliance on bricks and mortar shops, whereas the PC space is completely free from that.

Microsoft currently offer sale prices similar to Steam at the moment for the big releases. They also have a number is pro consumer initiatives leading them into next gen, whereas Sony are keeping their cards course to their chest at the moment but will have to respond somehow as will Nintendo and that starts with pricing. Offering NES games for an online subscription won't cut it.

Maintaining extortionate prices in an all digital age will simply push people towards PC or the most competitive console.

Consoles are restricted to an extent by their reliance on bricks and mortar shops, whereas the PC space is completely free from that.

Consoles will be further restricted when the b&m factor is eventually removed though, there’ll be less competition for pricing, as consoles will be then a completely closed ecosystem. PC’s have many different marketplaces to choose from, that’s why digital sales have flourished there, not because of the demise of physical media. Again, you’re comparing what will be a fully closed ecosystem, with a completely open one, it’s not at all apt.

Consoles will definitely move closer and closer to being digital only, and apart from the many benefits, there will come downsides, many of them too. I still maintain that when that day comes, people won’t be buying the latest Doom for 6.99 in a sale like they can on PC. People also won’t be driven towards pc’s either, because there’s still huge misconceptions out there with consoles being plug and play and pc’s are not.

sugarman wrote: »
    Currys have the best bundles and you can use your vouchers!

Mario Kart 8 bundle €330
    Pokemon Eevee bundle €350
    Smash Bros bundle €350
    Donkey Kong bundle €370

Pretty sure that bundle is a myth. Family member works in Currys and he's even got onto head office about it. Advertised online but he's never seen it in store and cant seem to order it for me :D

They advertise a MArio Kart + Smash bros bundle for €360 or something which is a really good price too, but again, never available. I think the Mario branded console bundle is just finished or something.

Like many here, still have a voucher burning in my pocket :D

Also had a little retro console buzz earlier this year, so shifting a N64 and PS2 to get a few more quid for games and accessories

Consoles will be further restricted when the b&m factor is eventually removed though, there’ll be less competition for pricing,

We disagree then. My point of it being an apt example is due to the competition that the PC game distributers have with each other. Removing the shackles of the b&m shops from console manufacturers will leave them purely in competition with their competitors. Nintendo can't sit still and maintain a high price point when MS (and eventually Sony) are offering great value services and game prices, that at the moment are comparative with Steam.

• Advertisement

Glad to read your post there TheDoc as I picked it up at Gamestop before reading the quoted post from sugarman!

Advertisement