Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

nix wrote: »
    Yeah thats why i didnt get any of the wired controllers i recommended, i have 2 classic gamecube controllers, so just got the adaptor..

They are fine but they dont have as many buttons as the switch controllers so may not work well for all games.. They dont have the home, +, - and whatever the other button is and the analogue doesnt have the button press (L3)..

This is the adaptor i picked up that works perfectly, the official Nintendo is pricey, like 4 times the price pricey :eek:

Cheers! Think the GC controllers will suffice for the times I have a gang over for a games evening, and then I'll use something else for solo play.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have one of those GC adapters and it's grand for Mario Kart as long as one player is using Joycons for menu navigation. I expect it's similar for Smash Bros.

If you want a full controller with all the buttona, Beboncool's PXN controller has been serving me well and is around £20 as opposed to the cost of the official Pro controller. I'm not sure if it has NFC or not but don't xare as I have zero interest in Amiibo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Fysh wrote: »
    I have one of those GC adapters and it's grand for Mario Kart as long as one player is using Joycons for menu navigation. I expect it's similar for Smash Bros.

If you want a full controller with all the buttona, Beboncool's PXN controller has been serving me well and is around £20 as opposed to the cost of the official Pro controller. I'm not sure if it has NFC or not but don't xare as I have zero interest in Amiibo etc.

Yeah, no interest in Amiibo either. Cheers, that PXN looks like good value!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Android has been released for the Switch
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-news-guides-discussion--development/rom-switchroot-lineageos-15-1-t3951389/post79954954#post79954954
    LineageOS 15.1 for Nintendo Switch by switchroot. This is the first publicly available Android ROM for the Nintendo Switch. Based on the Nvidia Shield TV builds it brings a smooth and powerful Android experience to your Switch in both handheld and docked mode.
    uXfm5hU.jpg?1
    DG7Rqbm.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Genki Covert Dock announced - it's a plug with a HDMI port and a USB port. Fits in your pocket. Very cool, but would you risk it?
    I assume UK version will come eventually. Ships in December.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/humanthings/genki-covert-dock

nGDrhoD.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Im on the lookout for a reliable, more portable dock. Wouldn't chance something like this without seeing reviews first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Didn't they identify what bricks the Switch on 3rd party docks? Something to do with rerouting a 9v signal down a 5v-capacity pin? In which case it's be pretty easy to make a selling point of having fully wired connectors with dedicated power signalling

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

That mini dock looks great.

If it works okay with the switch and doesn't brick it I would definitely get one.

That mini dock looks great.

If it works okay with the switch and doesn't brick it I would definitely get one.
    Is there a risk of bricking with an unoffical dock? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Suckit wrote: »
    Is there a risk of bricking with an unoffical dock? :eek:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/ckaiiv/an_engineers_pov_on_the_3rd_party_dock_switch/
    Starting backwards, we know a majority of bricking incidences result in a malfunctioning Power Delivery (PD) chip; there are now numerous electronic repair shops and online stores that actually stock the M92T36M PD chip for bricking repairs.

Now this may sound a bit confusing because many are stating the Switch is not PD compliant, but in reality it is using a proper PD Chip and controller. You can find many YouTube repair videos of the switch with replacing the M92T36 and its the sole USB-C PD controller present within the Switch; it controls all of the PD negotiations and ALT Mode (upscaling for HDMI output) functions of the Switch. Though the exact data-sheet of the M92T36 isn’t available publicly I was able to find the closest variant of it, the M92T30 made by ROHM and seem to only differ only by operating voltage. In the details I discovered the absolute max voltage rating for the Configuration Channel (CC) pin to be 6 volts. This means voltage traveling through the CC at more than 6 volts can and will fry the M92T36 chip.

Bricking Happens when the M92T36M PD Chip gets more than 6V

Surprisingly, bricking seems to comes down to corner cutting more than proprietary algorithms. The prevailing theory that the Switch isn’t PD compliant has very little to do with docking actually, and the power consumption of a docked Switch and a non-docked Switch is generally pretty consistent, maxing out at 18W. The inconsistencies of power draw and PD protocol errors are easily managed by the PD chip.

A much more common reason for bricking, are those third party docks that are cutting corners and not actually implementing dedicated PD controllers. For example, the Nyko dock itself uses a microcontroller that emulates the PD protocol and signal input/output voltages. Nyko’s PD emulator sends 9V to the Switch through the CC pin to the M92T36M, putting it 3V higher than the 6V max rating on the M92T36 which leads to a bricking Russian Roulette.

Another cause of bricking is simply bad quality Type-C connectors. One of the flagship design features of the official Nintendo Switch dock is the smoothness in which the Switch slides into and out of the dock. The thing is, there is no certified USB-C head connector works like this. In order for this mechanism to work, Nintendo actually designed a USB-C connector that was ever-so slightly narrower than the traditional head so that you don’t get that snug click feeling you would typically get when you plug a USB-C cable straight into your Switch. Since third party docks want to emulate this, and there are no certifications for this style manufacturers are free to design their own USB ports.

The USB-C standard has 24 pins with only 0.5mm spacing, (in comparison, the simple USB-A standard only has 4 pins with 1mm spacing). Therefore, any slight defect on the USB-C connector could cause the ports to fail. And when they do fail, there are two distinct failure modes: broken open and broken closed. Broken open means the USB-C port break without electrical connections, this is safe, but at times it could be annoying, as it may work when pressed at certain angle (similar to broken headphone jacks). Broken closed is where problems occur, this means that the pins are actually touching and crossing onto other pins. This can be caused by excessive wear on poorly manufactured USB-C ports or in some extreme cases copper that has been grounded resulting in conductive debris bridging these gaps. This is quite problematic as the main VBus (power line of USB-C) is optimized for 15v on the Nintendo Switch, and the CC pin being next to the VBus pin only 0.5mm apart on the USB-C connector. A crossed connection will therefore allow 15V to transfer to 6V rated CC pin, causing damage to the M92T36 again leading to potential brick in the making. There are also scenarios where VBus comes in contact with other pins on the USB-C such as the USB 3.0 data lines, which will fry the P13USB30532 matrix switch, since its even less tolerate of overvoltage; at a maximum rating of only 4.3v. Frying the matrix switch will pretty much disable the USB3.0 and docking, however it wont directly cause the Switch to brick.

USB-A to USB-C Cables: Many Switch users, Nathan K, and even Nintendo official has warned against the use of the cable without 56k ohm resistor. The 10K variant of the cable is said to be dangerous, to which I agree to the extent that the 56K ohm prevent overloading of non 3A capable AC adapters. The 10K ohm resistor only applies to legacy cables (A to C), which does not even negotiate PD with the Switch. The resistor only serves to tell the AC adapter how much current to provide to the Switch.

USB C Protocol Error: Power delivery is a standard between the way a charger communicates and negotiate the most suitable voltage level to enable fast charging. Rumors claim that Switch is non PD compliant, and according to Nathan K, what that means is the switch overdraws power by 300% when still negotiating the PD protocol. What he said is true, and is technically not the right way of doing things. But in practice, considering its actually a 0.5A to 1.5A increase its unlikely to effect the Switch and is well within the limits of the Nintendo Switch. In fact, the switch actually regularly consumes 2A, which is a 400% increase in current from 0.5A.

TLDR: It’s unlikely Switches are bricked because of it not being PD compliant. Bricking results from a fried M92T36M PD chip (which manages docking and power). Without this the Switch can no longer charge. Docks lacking dedicated PD chips and/or cheap uncertifiable USB-C dock connectors can result in overvoltage and thus frying this PD Chip.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »

Wow. Thanks for that. I hadn't planned on getting one yet, but was thinking I might have to if I go travelling this winter.
    Although I am aware of the USB-C dangers.
    I also thought Nyko were a/the decent third party brand, although massive price difference between the US and EU market.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All, just bought FIFA 19, which appears to have downloaded to my son's Nintendo Switch. I have gone through the steps but for some stupid reason, when I get to the "House Rules" section I cannot get any further? I am supposed to click on "R" but that doesn't work. I have checked out some EA Games message board and it appears pressing on the joystick is one possible solution, but this doesn't work either.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks

Looks like SNES is coming sooner rather than later. FCC filling found for SNES controller (like the NES controllers last year).

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/switch_snes_controller_confirmed_nintendo_switch_online_snes_games_next

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Banjo wrote: »

The engineer who wrote that is one of the engineers working on the Genki dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Mr E wrote: »
    Looks like SNES is coming sooner rather than later. FCC filling found for SNES controller (like the NES controllers last year).

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/switch_snes_controller_confirmed_nintendo_switch_online_snes_games_next

Year anniversary of the NES games is September, right? Hopefully get a Direct or some form of announcement soon. Probably just a tweet actually, rather than a Direct.

Yep - they need a new hook, otherwise a lot of people who paid for Switch Online last September will not renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's about bloody time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Give me Legend of the Mystical Ninja or give me death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'm kind of worried about the SNES release. So many good games.... Where will I find the time :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Quick reminder for anyone wanting to try Mario Tennis Aces. Trial period ends tonight at 11pm

• Advertisement

Update 9.0.0 is out now. Nothing major. Friend invites is possibly the big one, plus some system settings for Switch Lite, screen sensitivity for stylus, a "check in" function, a fire Emblem fix and some much needed stability.

Underwhelming. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Update 9.0.0 is out now. Nothing major. Friend invites is possibly the big one, plus some system settings for Switch Lite, screen sensitivity for stylus, a "check in" function, a fire Emblem fix and some much needed stability.

Underwhelming. :o

The LED works on the Pro Controller, thats a big one by Nintendos standards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Jedi Knight looks to be launching at 9.99 on the US Eshop. Fair price and that’s a day one for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

chrislad wrote: »
    Jedi Knight looks to be launching at 9.99 on the US Espoo. Fair price and that’s a day one for me now.

Definitely. Loved that game back in the day. Not sure if I ever finished it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Isn't it a port of the GC version?
    I enjoyed it, for a while, on PC back in the day, not sure the GC version is as good, or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Isn't it a port of the GC version?
    I enjoyed it, for a while, on PC back in the day, not sure the GC version is as good, or is it?

Oh, that I don't know. I played it on PC back in the day. Never knew it was on GC actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Has anyone managed to get a joycon with a drift issue repaired for free by Nintendo? Just had the below response from a Nintendo support rep

Hi Daniel, My daughters switch left joy con is suffering from drift issues, I have read that Nintendo are offering to repair these free of charge due to the issue being so widespread. The console was bout in late 2017

Daniel S.: Unfortunately, no region of Nintendo is currently offered free repairs. However, we do have some recommended troubleshooting steps and repair options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Has anyone managed to get a joycon with a drift issue repaired for free by Nintendo? Just had the below response from a Nintendo support rep

Hi Daniel, My daughters switch left joy con is suffering from drift issues, I have read that Nintendo are offering to repair these free of charge due to the issue being so widespread. The console was bout in late 2017

Daniel S.: Unfortunately, no region of Nintendo is currently offered free repairs. However, we do have some recommended troubleshooting steps and repair options

For €30 you could get a new switch in gamestop by trading in your old one

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    For €30 you could get a new switch in gamestop by trading in your old one

They wont take it if it has drift issues

• Advertisement

Well credit where credit is due, the solution Nintendo rep provided worked and it fixed the drift issues. Updated and recalibrated both joycons, all boxed up now and ready for a trade tomorrow.

Advertisement