Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now to get VR up and running. Though this is a pretty good proof of concept for VR controls

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Even With Nintendo's Bounty Program, Hackers Think They'll Crack The Switch

http://kotaku.com/even-with-nintendos-bounty-program-hackers-think-theyl-1794301009

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hackers crack everything eventually, silly headline.

The article was interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Neo Geo version of Splatterhouse is coming in the summer.

Every day there's a new NEO GEO game announced. 2 more were shown today. I might check what they are again later. HAMSTER must be laughing at the barrenness on the eShop so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Switch is the fastest selling Nintendo console in history in the US. 906,000 units sold in March with Zelda having a HIGHER than 100% attach rate with 1.25m copies sold. Probably people buying the limited edition along with the standard one. Long way to go of course but a fantastic start, and all this in the month of March as well.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170413006259/en/Nintendo-Switch-Fastest-Selling-Video-Game-System-Nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭geotrig

If its not an article by forbes, im not reading it :pac:

But always have to wonder how many would've been sold if they had managed to keep them in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

I think most people who want one will still buy one eventually. It's not something most people can afford to pick up on a whim so I think they'll still be keen to buy when stock is available.
    They seem to be readily available in the UK now. Not sure if that means Nintendo have done a good job getting them on to store shelves or if interest is starting to slow there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I don't think they've been in desperately short supply here, one store or another seems to have always had them. Which was weird. Seems to be a US thing specifically.

• Advertisement

...and Japan, understandably.

We'll learn a lot on the 27th

No. Japan has stock. It's America where it's selling out.

Where'd you see that sligeach?

Edit: Never mind, Amazon.co.jp has stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

There is a queue of people trying to buy a Switch outside the Nintendo store every morning. (Even in the pouring rain). I managed to see a physical copy of binding of Issac, but that had already sold out on release day.

Nintendo to release mini-size Switch in 2019, predicts Citigroup
    Citigroup Inc predicts that more variations of the Nintendo Switch could be released as Nintendo Co. continues to refine its home and portable business strategy.

http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/gaming/nintendo-to-release-mini-size-switch-in-2019-citigroup-predicts-4612945/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

sligeach wrote: »
    Nintendo to release mini-size Switch in 2019, predicts Citigroup
    Citigroup Inc predicts that more variations of the Nintendo Switch could be released as Nintendo Co. continues to refine its home and portable business strategy.

http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/gaming/nintendo-to-release-mini-size-switch-in-2019-citigroup-predicts-4612945/

Sounds like flawed speculation to be honest considering the Joycons can be detached, rendering the weight of the console irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

A slightly smaller form factor that fit in your pocket would be great, but it wouldn't work as a Switch proper, because the joycons would be feckin' tiny, you'd need to integrate them, and now you can't play docked without a whole bunch of extra controllers. It's not going to be in 2DS cost territory 'cause where is the saving? (Using more off-the-shelf hardware?) - if anything you're miniaturising so you're increasing costs while losing functionality. And you're aiming this at kids? As a parent : **** no.

BUT.....

If Ninty sort out their account system and cloud back-end, so for example I have my Switch at home docked, I'm going out without my bag so I can't bring my Switch proper but I can bring my daughter's Vita-sized Switch Mini with me, check out a couple of games from my family library - ideally a small license transfer via a few seconds of tethering to my phone - and away I go. Meanwhile my kids can snipperclips and dance to their hearts content. And if they figure out a way that I can get home, press a button and over the space of a minute or two my save gets uploaded to the cloud, downloaded to the docked switch and the license is transferred back so I can pick up on the Telly - SOLD!

(also, as a dedicated 1-layout controller, a mini would be a Pro Controller, ie have a D Pad, so could be paired with a docked switch as an additional controller, also opening the door to potential 3DS VC games 'cause you now have 2 screens and a touchscreen... )

When was the last time any new console didn't get a new iteration/redesign 1-3 years down the line? Seriously, when? Of course the switch is gonna get an updated model.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

When was the last time any new console didn't get a new iteration/redesign 1-3 years down the line? Seriously, when? Of course the switch is gonna get an updated model.

Eh.... The Wii U?

Sorry, I'm just messing! The Switch will definitely get a redesign... And then sure we'll all have to buy it again....

Eh.... The Wii U?

Sorry, I'm just messing! The Switch will definitely get a redesign... And then sure we'll all have to buy it again....

Consoles that mattered :pac:

I'm kidding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Consoles that mattered :pac:

I'm kidding

SHOTS FIRED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

With the switch getting a new version I said it before there is going to be a switch XL in the next year or two and I am for one will buy it. It will prob have like a 8 inch screen or soemthing and a bigger dock and bigger joy cons.

IT will happen mark my word. They will be stupid not to make a XL version of the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Would that work though? If you increase the screen size, do you increase the size of the Joycons too? And then you need charging grips and rails and whatnot to fit them? I mean, Ninty are no stranger to creating a vast village of add-on gick to clog up your sitting room, but still... I've already got a tonne of crap for the Switch and it's only a month old, with all the controllers, cases, clip-on bits and then I have to get my Senran Kagura Joycon/Fleshlight thing....

Personally I'd prefer them to focus on the internals. Keep the form factor the same, but give me docked performance when it's mobile, and a higher res screen. And Netflix, because that wound can scab but it will never heal!

Was in gamestop at lunch. Could barely get in the door with all the ones taking photos.
    But yeah it's got a poor selection for all 3 consoles. Switch did have half the shelf space of the other 2 but sure less to sell anyway. No 3DS apart from the discounted games on display with the other console discount games. And all that was on one side. The middle had baskets for used games and discounted merch then the other side had all the game merch. Not that it's a big shop here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Further context on Switch's impressive sales:

Switch Debut Month (March): 906K

Wii U Debut month (November): 425K
    Wii U Total Holiday sales: 885k

Wii Debut Month (November): 476K
    Wii Total holiday sales: 1080K

3DS First 5 months: 922K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I wonder what the chances are of a white-coloured Switch being released this year? Might have to wait til Christmas? Would love to buy it for MK8 Deluxe alone but think those neon controllers would look pretty sweet with a white-framed screen in the middle. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Corholio wrote: »
    Further context on Switch's impressive sales:

Switch Debut Month (March): 906K
    3DS First 5 months: 922K

Not bad at all huh!!!! Great numbers epcially for a March release.
    I dont think Switch is going to be anything but a success, the only downside is its got to get down to 250e mark the sooner the better....
    • Its got great feedback globally, by switch owners and the media
    • Zelda best experience ive had in gaming since 1996 and Mario 64.
    • the nah sayers with ports being an issue, will have to bite their tongues this time next year as ports will dry up or at least be minority,
    • And if anything its got future 3DS owners as purchasers, so it should easily hit 50 million +
    • Coupled with Splaton2\MK8\Arms\Zelda\NewMario not a bad 1st party lineup for first 9 months of its life and bring on E3 games!

It's been reported that the manufacturing cost of a Switch is $257 so I'm not sure €250 is realistic anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's been reported that the manufacturing cost of a Switch is $257 so I'm not sure €250 is realistic anytime soon
    I wonder what the margin is for retailers on the €330 RRP? Based off a rough manufacturing cost of €240-245 and Nintendo's profit per unit the retailers themselves probably wouldn't have much wiggle room for price cuts.

I suppose bundles is the only way they can pack more value into the RRP of the Switch...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Certainly an updated model, but likely to follow the phone upgrade path and have incremental changes, like reduce the bezel or get rid of it altogether.
    Otherwise it'll be battery capacity for the controllers and tablet, certainly a dock redesign is on the cards for sure.

A portable only option is a possible form factor, knock €90 off the price and capitalise on the portable 3DS market, a market that must be on it's last Christmas now, and no obvious replacement for the system, they must be thinking of the Switch as a replacement for both the home and portable systems, despite their assurances it's not a 3DS replacement.

A Christmas release of a €230 dockless Switch, and a Pokemon or Monster Hunter exclusive for the Switch, it'd be a machine for printing Nintendo lovely cash.

Advertisement