Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Mr E wrote: »
    Yikes. Castlevania Symphony of the Night just launched on mobile. Switch version please? Pretty please?

https://www.droidgamers.com/2020/03/04/castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-suddenly-materializes-on-android

brought it and rondo of blood in the xmas sales. must get around to it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

How do I identify the Switch model number if buying from CEX?
    Or are they most likely to be gen 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you’re buying a used Switch, there might not be any box to examine. So another way of verifying that it’s the newer hardware model is by glancing at the serial number. If it starts with XKW, that’s the new one. Anything else (such as XAW), and you’re holding an original-release Switch. The serial number can be found on the bottom of the Switch console.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/12/20802539/nintendo-switch-v2-new-updated-battery-console-how-to-buy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Mine starts with XKJ

Has anyone here bought a second Switch and if so was it easy setting things up in terms of your account, games library etc? I'm toying with the idea of getting a Switch Lite to go with my regular.

PS. I suppose I'm wondering as well is it easy to just pick up one Switch and pick up where you left off in a (digital) game that you'd last played on your other Switch. I have Switch Online subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

manual_man wrote: »
    Has anyone here bought a second Switch and if so was it easy setting things up in terms of your account, games library etc? I'm toying with the idea of getting a Switch Lite to go with my regular.

PS. I suppose I'm wondering as well is it easy to just pick up one Switch and pick up where you left off in a (digital) game that you'd last played on your other Switch. I have Switch Online subscription.

I got a lite as well as the normal one. And using both is okay but not seemless.

You just log into both with the same accounts and download your games, very simple.

You can only have 1 primary console though, the other one needs to check your licence online each time you try to play a game. So carry the primary one in any locations with poor internet.

You can't swap SD cards between them as it gets tied to the one machine. If you try to put your SD Card into the 2nd Switch you will need to format it before it can be used. You can use multiple SD cards on the same switch.

But cloud saves work well (you might need to manually up/download it).

But otherwise no issues.

In Short, no really blockers, but no massive value either. I prefer my OG and the limitations of the lite far out weight the small boost in portability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

When are we getting the N64 games on the Switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

The Nal wrote: »
    When are we getting the N64 games on the Switch?

No one knows. It's not been announced, so may never happen.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    No one knows. It's not been announced, so may never happen.

Seems very odd that they haven't monetised the N64 games. Maybe its an issue with Rare? No Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong, Conkers, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Seems very odd that they haven't monetised the N64 games. Maybe its an issue with Rare? No Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong, Conkers, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini etc etc.

Perfect Dark, Conker, Banjo and Jet Force Gemini are all available on Xbox One, where Rare tend to work these days. I don't think goldeneye will ever be re-released, it's a rights nightmare with the bond licence.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Perfect Dark, Conker, Banjo and Jet Force Gemini are all available on Xbox One, where Rare tend to work these days. I don't think goldeneye will ever be re-released, it's a rights nightmare with the bond licence.

Yeah, Nintendo, Rare, Bond.

Thank God for roms.

Well, haven't Microsoft put Cuphead and Ori on the Switch?
    So I imagine we'll see those Rare games on N64 emulator on Switch.
    Also, I'm expecting to see some Nintendo crossovers to Microsoft/XBOX land.
    I'm even thinking Nintendo need MS cloud infrastructure and expertise to compete against the other cloud giants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The relationship between MS and Nintendo is cordial these days.
    You just never know what might happen with Rare, their backcatalogue and the Switch.
    Certainly, if the will is there, it could be remarkable, especially if it's the Rare collection released years ago on the XB1, sans the 360 games of course.
    I mean, no one wants to play Perfect Dark Zero again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Just give me DKC2 on the SNES collection and I'll be happy!

Just give me DKC2 on the SNES collection and I'll be happy!

What's the best DKC game BTW ?
    I enjoyed Tropical Freeze, then got stuck, then forced my way through it and really enjoyed it in the end.
    Have DK Returns on Wii to play.
    Never got into the SNES games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

nintendoo wrote: »
    What's the best DKC game BTW ?
    I enjoyed Tropical Freeze, then got stuck, then forced my way through it and really enjoyed it in the end.
    Have DK Returns on Wii to play.
    Never got into the SNES games.

I'd say it's a toss up between DKC2 and Tropical Freeze.

I like the original DKC but it's a bit clunky compared to the second one. Only ever played DKC3 on emulators so can't really give a definitive view on that one.

Returns is a decent game but the waggle controls let it down as a platformer for me compared to its sequel.

A couple of the levels on the original DKC were fairly special at the time. Mine Cart levels, Tanked Up Trouble, Platform Perils etc. Still play great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

A couple of the levels on the original DKC were fairly special at the time. Mine Cart levels, Tanked Up Trouble, Platform Perils etc. Still play great.

Acquatic Ambience has a special place in my heart, even if just for the music!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I like them all, as technical achievements, from SNES to Gameboy and Gameboy Advance.
    But as games I am not sure they ever achieved the heights of Mario World or Yoshi's Story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Getting rid of my switch lite tomorrow need a new phone so gonna trade it in only bought the spare for Pokemon sword and shield and they were a disappointment

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I like them all, as technical achievements, from SNES to Gameboy and Gameboy Advance.
    But as games I am not sure they ever achieved the heights of Mario World or Yoshi's Story.

I think Tropical Freeze plays beautifully, but the boss fights are tough.
    And it looks beautiful and sounds gorgeous.

Yoshi's Story -> Yoshi's Island you mean ?
    I like Yoshi, but the flutter jump just gets on my nerves after a while.
    And baby Mario gets my anxiety going.

Mario is still the 2D platform king I think, graphics, sound, playability is just right.
    They captured the different Mario versions beautifully in Mario Marker 2.
    Really astounded at how good each Mario version plays.
    They play differently, different physics, controls, power ups.
    But they all play wonderfully.
    They did milk "new" super mario a bit ...

I hope they can magic out a new kind of 2D Mario platformer that is still as good as the others; but different. Not a Rayman Legends type Mario. A full on Nintendo type Mario :) (Legends is great)
    I think the designers got a lot of free reign on Mario odyssey ... so I hope it can happen with 2D Mario.
    It's going to be hard since there are so many indie developers producing platform games these days.
    But I think they will do it !
    Maybe New Super Mario 3D World In 2D Land :), but I don't want that either since that's done in Mario Marker 2.
    Or maybe Mario Maker is the last line of 2D Marios ...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Stumbled across this on a Spotify playlist before, thought it was great too, doesn't change too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Love the music from that level. I’m known to listen to it on YouTube a good bit!

Oh man i want a new F-zero so bad. With a Death Race mode. Long overdue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Finally bought Mario Kart 8 it's good fun so far

Finally bought Mario Kart 8 it's good fun so far

Makesure you don't forget to switch off the auto steering option ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm sure I know the answer already, but can I use bluetooth headphones with my Switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm sure I know the answer already, but can I use bluetooth headphones with my Switch?

Not without a bluetooth adapter that costs about 30 pounds. Even then long term it could mess up the charging port.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not without a bluetooth adapter that costs about 30 pounds. Even then long term it could mess up the charging port.

You could also go the route of a 3.5mm to Bluetooth adapter - probably cheaper and also won't risk damaging the charging port.

Advertisement