Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Has anyone here tried Fitness Boxing? I installed the demo and tried a few minutes, and it seems ok - but the trial is limited to 3 days and I've seen a few comments on Metacritic saying that the motion detection is bad, which would defeat the point. Given it's ~£40 I'd like to have a good idea of what to expect before deciding whether to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I had it for awhile when it first came out in a (failed) bid to lose weight. Thankfully I have lost weight since without it.
    I found the game responsive and had well structured workouts. Would recommend, but glad I bought it physical so I could sell it on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I had it for awhile when it first came out in a (failed) bid to lose weight. Thankfully I have lost weight since without it.
    I found the game responsive and had well structured workouts. Would recommend, but glad I bought it physical so I could sell it on.

Thanks, I may give it a go in that case. If I do it'll definitely be a physical purchase for that exact reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

Finally got my Switch lite delivered today. Changed region to SA and managed to get Animal Crossing, Legend of Zelda:Breath of the Wild, Crash Bandicoot, and the Lego Harry Potter collection for a really decent price. Delighted and can't wait to dig in to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Having troubles with two different left joycon in handheld mode it works ok attached to controller dock or holding in my hands but neither will connect to console

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Having troubles with two different left joycon in handheld mode it works ok attached to controller dock or holding in my hands but neither will connect to console

There was a software update released recently. I updated my joycons earlier. Try updating yours and see if that fixes the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nope I think it's from what ever happened to the console last week the cons work when connected to the controller dock and I have my new 2019 switch so I might just do a system transfer and get the Eevee switch repaired when the shops reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I'm also having Switch problems. Issue has been there for quite a while, but I've only started to care now that I've a bit more time at home. Of course now is precisely the time that I can't do very much about it. :(

My gen 1 Switch has had an issue with memory cards. It doesn't recognise any card inserted into the slot. This started two years ago and I tried all the normal things, updated firmware, different cards, formatting cards etc. I sent it to Nintendo repair in Belgium (where I was living at the time and where I bought it) and they sent it back to me working....for all of a few weeks. I was then moving home, so I didn't send it back to them again. (They didn't charge for the fix)

I'm wondering is it worth my while sending it again to Nintendo UK? Anyone using Gamestop/ieelectron with these things? I don't mind paying if it is a guaranteed fix, even if my original plan was always just to buy Switch gen 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Someone built a pretty decent Switch of his own from spare parts. Nice looking job too

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/someone-built-a-very-genuine-looking-nintendo-switch-to-play-animal-crossing-new-horizons/

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Hey all - I've been a long-time lurker (and occasional contributor, mostly in the great Club Nintendo closedown points scramble of 2015) here as a Wii/WiiU/3DS owner but only this week have crossed over into Switch ownership (actually birthday gift to the kid with Odyssey and Kirby). And now I have a couple of questions for ye knowledgeable folks...

1. Can anyone recommend a good screen protector - I assume tempered glass is the way to go? Would be handy if there was a bricks'n'mortar option.

2. We have up until now been an almost exclusively first-party Nintendo household, but now seems a good time to try and expand our horizons a bit. So, any recommendations for some good indie games. I have already poured about 350 hours into BOTW on the WiiU, so is there anything good out there that's kind of in that explorer-y/puzzley vein? Just not a turn-based RPG! RiME maybe?

3. Does anyone have any experience of using the 8bitdo G Bros adapter with the Switch? We have a bunch of Wii Classic controllers/Snes Mini pads that it would be great to get more use out of - Plus I'm just too stingy to splash out on a Pro Controller just yet!

Plus any other tips for a new owner that has spent a lot of the last 3 years mostly ignoring all the chat in the Switch threads because they didn't own one :( :pac: ? Thanks in advance!!

• Advertisement

If you want a pro controller type thing, 3rd party is the way to go. Check the bargains thread, someone linked to decent looking controllers recently for arount a tenner in Argos.

Indie games I've really enjoyed so far are Ape Out and Untitled Goose Game. I've not played the Switch port of RiME but I did play it on Steam - it's pretty good although ends up feeling somehow a bit shorter and more enclosed than I expected. Also take a look at Abzu, it's a lovely and relaxing game (though again not enormously long). Rocket League is good fun and allows local 2 player (online play requires an NSO subscription), plus it regularly goes on sale for 50% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Hey all - I've been a long-time lurker (and occasional contributor, mostly in the great Club Nintendo closedown points scramble of 2015) here as a Wii/WiiU/3DS owner but only this week have crossed over into Switch ownership (actually birthday gift to the kid with Odyssey and Kirby). And now I have a couple of questions for ye knowledgeable folks...

1. Can anyone recommend a good screen protector - I assume tempered glass is the way to go? Would be handy if there was a bricks'n'mortar option.

2. We have up until now been an almost exclusively first-party Nintendo household, but now seems a good time to try and expand our horizons a bit. So, any recommendations for some good indie games. I have already poured about 350 hours into BOTW on the WiiU, so is there anything good out there that's kind of in that explorer-y/puzzley vein? Just not a turn-based RPG! RiME maybe?

3. Does anyone have any experience of using the 8bitdo G Bros adapter with the Switch? We have a bunch of Wii Classic controllers/Snes Mini pads that it would be great to get more use out of - Plus I'm just too stingy to splash out on a Pro Controller just yet!

Plus any other tips for a new owner that has spent a lot of the last 3 years mostly ignoring all the chat in the Switch threads because they didn't own one :( :pac: ? Thanks in advance!!

If you want a pro controller I got the BEBONCOOL controller on amazon its great has nfc and gyro too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075YBP8LT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Cheers folks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've both Kuso and Love for my Switch, as well as the soundtracks to both, they are very good indeed and very cheap,
    The site of the moment has just had a mini review of Kuso which is why it came to mind
    https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/kuso

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Donkey Kong Country being added to the SNES Library today for Nintendo Online Subscribers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Alrighty then.

It's that time again. 2 weeks off work, time for some AAA action, gonna get a new game or two get properly into.

What to do.

I've done the regular Zelda, Mario current gen efforts.

I enjoyed Bioshock way back when. Is it worth getting them? Do you have to play 'em in order?

Anything amazing I might try (before I inevitably just start Mario Kart 8 again)?

Thanks dudes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Alrighty then.

It's that time again. 2 weeks off work, time for some AAA action, gonna get a new game or two get properly into.

What to do.

I've done the regular Zelda, Mario current gen efforts.

I enjoyed Bioshock way back when. Is it worth getting them? Do you have to play 'em in order?

Anything amazing I might try (before I inevitably just start Mario Kart 8 again)?

Thanks dudes!

Civ 6 and before you know it the 2 weeks are gone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Civ 6 and before you know it the 2 weeks are gone

My son is completely lost in that game, well, that and Death Stranding

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Interested in Crosscode on the Switch, but I hear the port is rough. Has anyone picked it up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I've got a "Switch issue", but of a different kind - I bought (Lite) one six months ago, and still can't bring myself to like it. I've given it time and time again, yet I don't see why people are so in love with the console.

Now, admittedly getting the "Lite" version might have been a mistake - the main attraction of the system, the "fixed/portable" nature, is gone with it. It's also child-hands sized and my fingers simply can't reach some controls comfortably. So maybe a "full size" one is a better proposition.

Yet, the issue is the games library for me: third parties are quite simply better played on an Xbox/PS4/PC; the so hyped "indie scene" is basically full of total cack that passes for "artistic concept", and the first party Nintendo games are....well, not very involving at all, being perhaps a bit too "family friendly". Sure, I can play some old-style Mario platforming action, but there's only so much to it before it becomes tedious. I've tried for months and months to get into Zelda, but I just can't like it.

Consider I am no "Nintendo die hard fan" - I've ever only bought a DS before the Switch, and found that one to have the same exact issues (lots of potential, no games to exploit it). I have a SNES, which for its time is an absolutely kickass of a platform, but I acquired it a couple of years ago as part of a growing collection of vintage machinery.

I that it? The fact I didn't grow up playing Mario, Zelda & C., that makes it so difficult to like these franchises as a adult?

• Advertisement

Personally I don't think it's nostalgia that makes me still enjoy Mario games today, so much as there's a certain charm and whimsy to them that has remained remarkably consistent throughout - so for me, Mario Odyssey just clicked as "fun" in the same way that Super Mario Land on the GB or Super Mario World on the SNES did, way back when.

I still haven't picked up BotW myself, as I think I'll probably like it but don't want to drop the (holy moly, 3 years on and it's still selling at the original RRP!) cash on it and find out it's not for me...

Having said that, if you're not feeling the 1st party titles, it does become a good bit harder to argue for the console over its current-gen peers. As you say, there are lots of ports - but you can play them on other platforms. And Nintendo's lack of curation means you have to wade through a lot of shovelware to get to the true indie gems (which is already tough when that means different things for different people).

What sort of games do you like and enjoy? Your best bet is to look at that type of game, then go by the Metacritic ratings for Switch releases and see what, if anything, on there looks appealing. And if there's not enough to hold your interest, sell it on - at least Nintendo hardware retains its value so you won't be out of pocket significantly if you do so....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think the whole advantage of the Switch is the portability. I know a lot of people who prefer certain games on the Switch because they can be played anywhere. In bed, on the toilet, sneaky games in work, in the car while waiting for someone, while on public transport, out in the back garden, on the couch, etc.

For a majority of Switch owners (IMO), saying that a game plays better elsewhere is irrelevant. It's the convenience factor that's the USP here. You don't have to fire up your big console, take up the main TV in the house etc. You can just crash on a couch or on the bed and play.

That's the reason I haven't felt the draw to buy another console in this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Fysh wrote: »
    Personally I don't think it's nostalgia that makes me still enjoy Mario games today, so much as there's a certain charm and whimsy to them that has remained remarkably consistent throughout - so for me, Mario Odyssey just clicked as "fun" in the same way that Super Mario Land on the GB or Super Mario World on the SNES did, way back when.

Yeah don't get me wrong - the Mario IP in particular has some very strong points, it's safe to say it essentially "made" the platform genre from the mid-1980s going forward. Along with Metroid, it's the Nintendo IP I "get" the most (at least when we talk about the classic 2D style platformer "Marios") and of the 1st party Switch games I have, the one I played the most by far.

I do think a bit of "acquired taste" works for most other games 'though, like it does for anything else. Take for example the whole "Pokemon" phenomena - I just don't get it, the whole IP (and I'm talking its full breadth, from the anime to the games) seems exceedingly silly and childish to me, while a lot of my colleagues are completely mad about it. The explanation is simple - being nearly 40, I was a bit "past it" in terms of age when Pokemon became a cultural phenomenon in Europe. In the same way, somebody older or younger than me will look at stuff like "Masters of the Universe" or "Transformers" and go the "what the hell is this sh1t" way.
    I still haven't picked up BotW myself, as I think I'll probably like it but don't want to drop the (holy moly, 3 years on and it's still selling at the original RRP!) cash on it and find out it's not for me...

Yes, prices are nuts, period. As for the whole Zelda thing...again, it's a series I could never really like. I've even tried to get, retrospectively, into the older ones (e.g. on the SNES I restored), to no avail. To the series defense, however, I have to say I never liked RPG where you can play as a fixed character as opposed to ones where you make your own. I can't play The Witcher 3 series for the same reason - if I don't like the main character, it just is a "no". And for some reason, just like I can't care for Geralt, I despised Link the moment I saw him in his piexelated glory on the SNES :D
    Having said that, if you're not feeling the 1st party titles, it does become a good bit harder to argue for the console over its current-gen peers. As you say, there are lots of ports - but you can play them on other platforms. And Nintendo's lack of curation means you have to wade through a lot of shovelware to get to the true indie gems (which is already tough when that means different things for different people).

What sort of games do you like and enjoy? Your best bet is to look at that type of game, then go by the Metacritic ratings for Switch releases and see what, if anything, on there looks appealing. And if there's not enough to hold your interest, sell it on - at least Nintendo hardware retains its value so you won't be out of pocket significantly if you do so....

That's an odd one - I don't really have a specific "genre", except driving/flight sims, but that's not something you're looking at the Switch (nor Nintendo as a whole) for.

Other than that, I've enjoyed RPGs (The Elder Scrolls series), Strategy games, the odd fighting title. Adventure, it depends - has to be a game where you "do" things rather than "cutscene collections".

I mentioned having a DS before, and some of the games I really enjoyed on it were the "unique" ones - Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, Elite Beat Agents, Hotel Dusk: Room 215. These are the types I feel the Switch misses on - games that work on a specific strength of the hardware (e.g. the DS's dual screen and stylus) while still offering some actual gameplay, rather than becoming a gimmick fest. Not sure the last part is explained well, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

OSI wrote: »
    The only games I've played to completion on the Switch are Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey.

I'm the same though I only just bought Zelda last week even though I own the console over two years.

I own 3 games on the switch Mario Oddessy(completed it) and Captain Toad Treasure hunt(Only played a bit of it) and currently playing through Zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Apologies for gatecrashing lads, but with the reopening of pubs looking uncertain and live sports/music/etc. a long way off, I'm thinking of investing in a Switch to pass away some of the upcoming winter evenings. I've had a quick look online and most providers (Smyths, Harvey Norman, Argos) appear to be sold out. I know there were reports of shortages at the start of the lockdown, but is this still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭BurnUp78

My hori switch pad Pro left joystick has drift but only in pokemon shield? It doesn't have drift while in the menu or while in fifa18. The drift is very specific in that it drifts only to the left constantly.. Any possible fixes for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    My hori switch pad Pro left joystick has drift but only in pokemon shield? It doesn't have drift while in the menu or while in fifa18. The drift is very specific in that it drifts only to the left constantly.. Any possible fixes for this?

I've found this with a regular JoyCon in Animal Crossing but not in other games I'm playing at the moment. It must be that Animal Crossing and Pokémon have more sensitive controls and what is a little drift in the controller is picked up in these games but not in games with less sensitive controls.

There are plenty of guides online to deal with drift such as disassembly, cleaning sprays etc. Personally I'd be afraid I'd do more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CastorTroy wrote: »

Great news, and fingers crossed this will be backwardly compatible with all of the older Switch titles.
    I have to say, even with the limited power of the existing Switch, Nintendo have produced some of the best games of the last five years, regardless of platform, with BotW and Mario Odyssey.
    God only knows what they might create with more power and a better screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Now fingers crossed that gamestop do the exchange old for new deal again!

Advertisement