Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Grassey wrote: »
    Now fingers crossed that gamestop do the exchange old for new deal again!

And that, this time, my now-repaired Day 1 Switch makes the cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What's a gamestop? Didn't exist in this part of the country

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What's a gamestop? Didn't exist in this part of the country

They used to be Gamesworld, before the dark times, before the empire....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I'd buy a "New Switch" in a heartbeat but it worries me that there are a "slew of games" to coincide with it's release, I'd like some new games, from Nintendo, before 2021 :o

I'll take Mario Sunshine, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They used to be Gamesworld, before the dark times, before the empire....
    SDHV1Rlh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Our GameStop closed for the pandemic and never reopened. My nearest is now Sligo, about 1.5-2 hours drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

With how bad the joycon drift issues are it'd be suicide for gameslop to do a trade and upgrade offer for the newer switch if there is such a thing coming I've heard they are currently giving 250 credit for a switch console if that's true it's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sega has confirmed that Sega Ages has now came to an end with the release of Herzog Zwei tomorrow being the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Grassey wrote: »

I treat every unverified article about how this time it's definitely true that there's going to be a Switch Pro out as a combination of clickbait and people playing the odds - eventually one of them will probably be right, or close enough to argue the toss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

The New Switch U Deluxe Pro Series X Lite, Animal Crossing Edition. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Its mad to think its nearly at the 3.5 year mark. Some success for what could be viewed as a mid generation upgrade.

I know Nintendo see's the switch as having a "long life cycle" and an upgrade is probably due next year. But how many more years do you think the switch has before a replacement is required?

My theory is that the PS5 and xbox series X won't kick into stride instantly and may take until 2022. Giving the switch 2 more big years and then drop the price and sell for a further 2 years while a new system has come out circa 2022

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If the Xbox and PS successors follow the pattern of the previous generations there will be bugger all of note to play.
    The first game worth owning a PS4 for was Bloodborne, some might argue it's still the best reason to own the machine!
    The Xbox... I'm not sure it even got that, although Gamepass is pretty cool.
    XBox Series X and PS5... while I'll buy them both I don't expect either to have much I want to play until late 2021 at least.

So, the Switch will probably have two more good Christmas sales numbers ahead, with plenty of time for a successor to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

If the Xbox and PS successors follow the pattern of the previous generations there will be bugger all of note to play.
    The first game worth owning a PS4 for was Bloodborne, some might argue it's still the best reason to own the machine!
    The Xbox... I'm not sure it even got that, although Gamepass is pretty cool.
    XBox Series X and PS5... while I'll buy them both I don't expect either to have much I want to play until late 2021 at least.

I find the same with any console launch. If there is 1 game worth playing then you are spending 400 euro to play 1 game. Better to wait and continue to play other consoles with beefier back catalogues.

The three consoles that I've bought at launch are the Gamecube, Wii and the Switch. The latter two I admitted to myself that I was buying a Zelda-box but as I didn't have another console at the time of the Switch so I didn't mind but the former had amazing launch titles. Holy sh*t, Gamecube day 1, definitely worth it.

Rhyme wrote: »
    I find the same with any console launch. If there is 1 game worth playing then you are spending 400 euro to play 1 game. Better to wait and continue to play other consoles with beefier back catalogues.

The three consoles that I've bought at launch are the Gamecube, Wii and the Switch. The latter two I admitted to myself that I was buying a Zelda-box but as I didn't have another console at the time of the Switch so I didn't mind but the former had amazing launch titles. Holy sh*t, Gamecube day 1, definitely worth it.

I had the three launch consoles that generation, the GC, PS2 and Xbox.
    A disc based magazine reviewed them and had to borrow my GC as they didn't have one.
    They proceeded to slate it, comparing it's content, RE and Luigis Mansion, unfavourably to Halo on the Xbox.
    I've no idea what it was about the PS2 that was so wonderful, as far as I remember it was 18 months before it got any kind of worthy exclusives.
    But they just didn't get the GC at all, none of the fun, they just saw a purple box with little disks and a handle on the back and wrote it off as a childs plaything... as opposed to the other devices that also played games, just not games that were as good, at least not at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

There was so much buzz over the PS2's launch, I still have a VHS and a magazine about the upcoming games. Pages and pages on every little detail, even a huge article about Fantavision. I've owned plenty of console across the spectrum (but not a ZX hur hur) and do lean towards Nintendo in my choices but the Gamecube launch, while much quieter, was so good. Far fewer games by my memory but a higher quality. I remember going into town by myself, paying in cash and walking on air all the way home*. Xbox did have Halo and that is still a solid game but apart from that Project Gotham Racing, it wasn't much to write home about.

*beat Luigi's Mansion in a day and almost immediately traded it in for Smash Bros.

Rhyme wrote: »
    There was so much buzz over the PS2's launch, I still have a VHS and a magazine about the upcoming games. Pages and pages on every little detail, even a huge article about Fantavision. I've owned plenty of console across the spectrum (but not a ZX hur hur) and do lean towards Nintendo in my choices but the Gamecube launch, while much quieter, was so good. Far fewer games by my memory but a higher quality. I remember going into town by myself, paying in cash and walking on air all the way home*. Xbox did have Halo and that is still a solid game but apart from that Project Gotham Racing, it wasn't much to write home about.

*beat Luigi's Mansion in a day and almost immediately traded it in for Smash Bros.

I know, the PS2 had Fantavision, which I still love, and... GT3... christ...

The Xbox, I really liked Halo and PGR (probably played more Geometry Wars in fairness!)

But, the GC, I imported that and it was amazing, certainly the launch games were great and I bought Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and Super Monkey Ball, just brilliant fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I know, the PS2 had Fantavision, which I still love, and... GT3... christ...

The Xbox, I really liked Halo and PGR (probably played more Geometry Wars in fairness!)

But, the GC, I imported that and it was amazing, certainly the launch games were great and I bought Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and Super Monkey Ball, just brilliant fun.

Launch for Gamecube was really strong. Add Star Wars Rogue Leader, Burnout & Crazy Taxi to that list too!

Launch for Gamecube was really strong. Add Star Wars Rogue Leader, Burnout & Crazy Taxi to that list too!

Hmm..

Burnout was already awesome on the PS2!
    Crazy Taxi... I was playing that last night, on the Dreamcast, still a fun game.

Star Wars Rogue Leader, looked amazing and played great, but I don't think the flight model feels as fun all these years later.
    Stay away from Rebel Strike, the on-foot levels kill it stony dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Whats a dreamcast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

fixXxer wrote: »
    Whats a dreamcast?
    k9et2.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Whats a dreamcast?

It's like a Chromecast but for dreams :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Whats a dreamcast?

A console ahead of its time!

Believe it or not, we used to have an entire forum 'round these parts just for Sega consoles...
    Yep, good times...
    The mod of that forum never recovered from it's closure, poor b@stard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Whats a dreamcast?

Still have mine and home, turns on fine but the cable to the TV doesn't work. Would love to fire it back up again for nostalgia

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Still have mine and home, turns on fine but the cable to the TV doesn't work. Would love to fire it back up again for nostalgia

ive been wanting to fire up phantasy star online and do the single player. loved that game back in the day. esp the online

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Super Mario 3D AllStars officially announced today, packing in Mario 64, Sunshine & Galaxy. Apparently it will be limited in avaialblility, both in physical and digital formats.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/super-mario-3d-all-stars-rolls-three-of-the-best-mario-games-into-one-package/

Also, Mario Kart Live, using AR tech to race RC cars around, using cameras integrated into them

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/mario-kart-live-home-circuit-uses-ar-toys-to-turn-real-life-into-a-giant-racing-track/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Super Mario 3D AllStars officially announced today, packing in Mario 64, Sunshine & Galaxy. Apparently it will be limited in avaialblility, both in physical and digital formats.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/super-mario-3d-all-stars-rolls-three-of-the-best-mario-games-into-one-package/

Also, Mario Kart Live, using AR tech to race RC cars around, using cameras integrated into them

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/mario-kart-live-home-circuit-uses-ar-toys-to-turn-real-life-into-a-giant-racing-track/

Never played those but Odyssey was such a hit in our house might surprise the kids with this.

Although something tells me this might be expensive ? Three remastered Mario games

TheDoc wrote: »
    Never played those but Odyssey was such a hit in our house might surprise the kids with this.

Although something tells me this might be expensive ? Three remastered Mario games

£50/€60 seems to be the going rate, which is...not too bad, all things considered.

If you buy physical you can resell if you want - the collection won't be sold after March 31st next year so will likely retain or even increase in price on the 2nd hand market at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Do you think there will be new bundles released with the Mario 3D collection?

I’m thinking of getting the switch but not mad on the games bundles that smyths have

Advertisement