Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TheDoc wrote: »
    Never played those but Odyssey was such a hit in our house might surprise the kids with this.

Although something tells me this might be expensive ? Three remastered Mario games

Well none are remasters they are just slightly higher resolution ports of the original games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

TheDoc wrote: »
    Never played those but Odyssey was such a hit in our house might surprise the kids with this.

Although something tells me this might be expensive ? Three remastered Mario games

In fairness, they are three of the greatest games of all time. Although old, I'd still consider that value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

nialldinho wrote: »
    Do you think there will be new bundles released with the Mario 3D collection?

I’m thinking of getting the switch but not mad on the games bundles that smyths have

Actually I now see that there is a wider choice of bundled games than I thought.

What would be the best choice of game here? I’m tempted by Mario odyssey

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-neon-console-and-select-game/b/800424

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

nialldinho wrote: »
    Actually I now see that there is a wider choice of bundled games than I thought.

What would be the best choice of game here? I’m tempted by Mario odyssey

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-neon-console-and-select-game/b/800424

I would go with Mario Odyssey or Mario Kart 8 from that list. I've had Mario Kart on the Wii U since it came out and yet I am still playing the Switch version on a near daily basis since it launched too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I got both Mario Kart & Oddessy at launch (Wiiu & Switch).

I still play MK8 regularly. It's easily the better of those 2 games, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I got both Mario Kart & Oddessy at launch (Wiiu & Switch).

I still play MK8 regularly. It's easily the better of those 2 games, in my opinion.

I suppose it depends on your preferences - I like MK8 but it's a game that shines best in multiplayer, for me. Weirdly, the fact that you don't have to unlock courses or alternate modes means I'm a bit less pushed about completing all the cups, whereas on previous iterations that was always an incentive to keep working through the cups.

Whereas Odyssey was sheer whimsical joy and a smile on my face from start to finish, with a fantastic soundtrack as the cherry on top.

I don't regret buying either of them, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not Nintendo but XBox have revealed their first next gen price with the XBox Series S at $299

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not Nintendo but XBox have revealed their first next gen price with the XBox Series S at $299

Was thinking this looks great at 299 euro. Specs TBD.
    This + Game Pass is a great offering from MS.

Also, thinking this is what a docked only version of Switch Pro could be.
    It undercuts Switch, but none of the range of games that Nintendo have for kids/families/...
    Nintendo will definitely stay portable to distinguish themselves now.

It'd be nice to see a next gen Switch ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Switches biggest appeal is the handheld aspect if Nintendo reduced that to a Switch Lite style hd console with no removable joy-cons I'd hate that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

Switches biggest appeal is the handheld aspect if Nintendo reduced that to a Switch Lite style hd console with no removable joy-cons I'd hate that

Well they could have portable only, portable/docked , docked only with better specs.

Anyway, competition is good! I can see some Nintendo Switch Selects soon :)

• Advertisement

1-2 Switch, Snipper Clips maybe but a reduction of Odyssey or BOTW or even Arms or Splatoon 2 would be incredible they all still retail for almost original RRP and all still sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Woke up at 3 this morning and my switch was intermittently rumbling. About ever 2 seconds or so. Thought t was a mouse or something until I put my hand on the switch and found out it was the joycons rumbling. Anyone else had this or been able to resolve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I guess the smart money is to go physical for All Stars 3D, considerings its a limited run? Don't get paid until the 17th so hoping I don't miss out :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

That's my plan. If nothing else it will hold on to it's value so if I do decide to resell down the line it'll essentially cost me nothing.

Argos will probably be your best bet next Friday I'll be trying to get two myself one for each switch

even using DLSS AI upscaling could be a struggle to get to 4K on a low-wattage mobile chip

so the next switch could well not be a "switch" but docked only i.e. fixed

will have to wait and see

although 60fps might be a more meaningful upgrade (@ 1080p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

glasso wrote: »
    even using DLSS AI upscaling could be a struggle to get to 4K on a low-wattage mobile chip

will have to wait and see

I saw that being suggested on a fairly reputable website, can't remember which one now.

That would be a disappointment for a lot of people I would suspect. My split between portable and docked use is about 70:30.

One approach would be for Nintendo to cut price of the Switch Lite so people could have a "Pro" and a Lite. That however would require a seamless account experience between both systems with respect to digital games and game saves, not something Nintendo has traditionally been good at.

Argos will probably be your best bet next Friday I'll be trying to get two myself one for each switch

What time do Argos usually refresh their stock? I'd say there will be a mad rush to reserve.
    One approach would be for Nintendo to cut price of the Switch Lite so people could have a "Pro" and a Lite. That however would require a seamless account experience between both systems with respect to digital games and game saves, not something Nintendo has traditionally been good at.

Yeah it works now, but its not great. Had a few times at work where I've been playing and been kicked off because someone at home is on the main Switch. Have the kids fairly well trained with the concept of Airplane Mode now :D

Maybe those at home had a crazy idea that you wouldn't be playing games while working. Clearly you've done a good job of fooling them. :)

Argos can range from 1/2am until 9am just buy a tray of monster ripper and keep that refresh goin all night long.

• Advertisement

My advice go for Swords Ashbourne Nutgrove Liffey Valley or Dundrum as they're the stores people overlook when reserving, Ilac Stephens Green Jervis usually go first.

Wonder will GameStop or Smyths have overstock on Friday or will it be reservations only.

Maybe those at home had a crazy idea that you wouldn't be playing games while working. Clearly you've done a good job of fooling them. :)

I'm allowed my lunch breaks :D

When's the review embargo up for Mario?
    I'm getting it anyway but curious to see.

What order will everyone play? I'll play them in release order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

When's the review embargo up for Mario?
    I'm getting it anyway but curious to see.

What order will everyone play? I'll play them in release order.

I'm thinking the same. I was originally going to dabble in 64, ignore Sunshine and skip straight to Galaxy but now I'm thinking I'll see how I enjoy each game as they go and play in release order as well.

I don't know what my 'next' game will be for the Switch with Lego Star Wars delayed so I'm determined to get as much as I can out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Firmware 10.2.0 is out now. Even more stability (if you can believe that) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Mr E wrote: »
    Firmware 10.2.0 is out now. Even more stability (if you can believe that) :)

So stable, software kickstands, it'll never fall over.

Can just imagine houses hit by earthquakes where the only thing standing is the Switch with all these stability updates

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Side by side with the 3DS. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to know Mario 64 inside out, in a way I only previously understood Super Mario World and, oddly enough, Quake.
    I will be certainly playing it first, the memories of seeing the N64 for the first time are wonderful, as was getting it home and playing my own copy.
    I know there are those who prefer the DS version, but they are to be pitied, the original is simply the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I used to know Mario 64 inside out, in a way I only previously understood Super Mario World and, oddly enough, Quake.
    I will be certainly playing it first, the memories of seeing the N64 for the first time are wonderful, as was getting it home and playing my own copy.
    I know there are those who prefer the DS version, but they are to be pitied, the original is simply the best.
    Couldn't have said it any better. Halcyon days. The sense of wonder and awe when seeing Mario in 3D for the first time is something that I'm not sure I'll get again in video games. That transition from 2D to 3D in the late 90s really was a paradigm shift which, for all the progression in graphical horsepower since, video games have yet to match IMO.

Advertisement