Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I know there are those who prefer the DS version, but they are to be pitied, the original is simply the best.

I gotta say, Mario 64 DS was a bit of a marvel to behold, but a croc to play. I hated it. And I didn't like the character additions! Give me the original any day over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Couldn't have said it any better. Halcyon days. The sense of wonder and awe when seeing Mario in 3D for the first time is something that I'm not sure I'll get again in video games. That transition from 2D to 3D in the late 90s really was a paradigm shift which, for all the progression in graphical horsepower since, video games have yet to match IMO.

I said it a while back, the only thing I can compare to Mario 64 and the feeling I got playing it for the first time was Astrobot on PSVR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

BOTW captured the same sense of wonder as Mario 64 did, and then some!

BOTW was my first open world game. Turns out it happened to also be one of the best. Great plateau incredible. Gliding off the great plateau from the top of the temple... boom :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The sensation of playing Mario 64 for the first time has only been matched by a handful of games in my gaming life;
    Bloodborne (PS4)
    Ico (PS2)
    Need for Speed/Road Rash (3DO)
    LoZ:OoT (N64)
    Super Mario World (SNES)

Just games that changed everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CastorTroy wrote: »
    When's the review embargo up for Mario?
    I'm getting it anyway but curious to see.

What order will everyone play? I'll play them in release order.

I'm genuinely feeling low level anxiety about this release.

I'm neck deep in BOTW right now, and really loving it.

But each one of these would be an absolute drop everything and play now if they were realeased one at a time.

I can't possibly not play Sunshine immediately, since I've be demanding it for years.

But I haven't play 64 in years and I can't wait to play it again.

And Galaxy is possible the best of them all.

Jesus tonight. This is very difficult.

• Advertisement

The sensation of playing Mario 64 for the first time has only been matched by a handful of games in my gaming life;
    Bloodborne (PS4)
    Ico (PS2)
    Super Mario World (SNES)

I would add GTA 3 to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BOTW captured the same sense of wonder as Mario 64 did, and then some!

BOTW was my first open world game. Turns out it happened to also be one of the best. Great plateau incredible. Gliding off the great plateau from the top of the temple... boom :)

I played many open world games so it didn't have the same effect on me. Tbh that particular moment didn't feel one bit amazing to me.

I played many open world games so it didn't have the same effect on me. Tbh that particular moment didn't feel one bit amazing to me.

I played many open worlds games too, but it DID feel that amazing to me. It was very much "THAT'S how you do it! Ubisoft et al need to take very detailed notes!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Star Lord wrote: »
    I played many open worlds games too, but it DID feel that amazing to me. It was very much "THAT'S how you do it! Ubisoft et al need to take very detailed notes!!!"

Batman gliding springs to mind in a more detailed world from top of skyscraper and that just one example I can think of. I'm pretty sure I was gliding around in other games I played but just can't think of them at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm genuinely feeling low level anxiety about this release.

I'm neck deep in BOTW right now, and really loving it.

But each one of these would be an absolute drop everything and play now if they were realeased one at a time.

I can't possibly not play Sunshine immediately, since I've be demanding it for years.

But I haven't play 64 in years and I can't wait to play it again.

And Galaxy is possible the best of them all.

Jesus tonight. This is very difficult.

Not a bad problem to have really.

I'm sure there are worse things to complain about. :)

• Advertisement

Not a bad problem to have really.

I'm sure there are worse things to complain about. :)

Nope.

This is the worst thing ever. :D:D

Batman gliding springs to mind in a more detailed world from top of skyscraper and that just one example I can think of. I'm pretty sure I was gliding around in other games I played but just can't think of them at the minute.

Arkham City and Arkham Knight both suffered quite a lot from moving to open world after Arkham Asylum though.

With Breath of the Wild, it wasn't so much that 'Oh, this gliding is a new mechanic in an open world game', it was very much that the plateau was a little taster of how this new way of doing an open world game was going to work, and gliding off the plateau for the first time, and realising just how much of this beautiful world there was to explore, and the joys found in doing so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Star Lord wrote: »
    Arkham City and Arkham Knight both suffered quite a lot from moving to open world after Arkham Asylum though.

I wasn't a fan of Arkham City, but I thought Arkham Knight was terrific.
    I really enjoyed it, perhaps even more than Asylum.
    With Breath of the Wild, it wasn't so much that 'Oh, this gliding is a new mechanic in an open world game', it was very much that the plateau was a little taster of how this new way of doing an open world game was going to work, and gliding off the plateau for the first time, and realising just how much of this beautiful world there was to explore, and the joys found in doing so.

The plateau was a remarkable way to make a training level without making it feel like a training level.
    Truly, the shooting womp rats of the LoZ world, here's a place that's almost as big as the LoZ games you've played before... and BTW it's just a taste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Even with the Batmobile sections?

Was gonna say there weren't enough riddler trophies in City for him. Turns out there are more in City than Knight.

As the comment I read somewhere, maybe around here, about the new Batman film "Can't wait to watch him collect 243 Riddler trophies"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The only games that amazed me like Mario 64 were Donkey Kong Country and Half-Life 2. Haven't tried VR yet so that could have another one.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Even with the Batmobile sections?

Yep, thought they were fun, aside from the sneaking around tanks sequences

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yep, thought they were fun, aside from the sneaking around tanks sequences

Agreed. I did not get the hate for the Batmobile. I thought it was a bit overused, but it handled well, and was fun.

Think that was the problem. It was a novelty at first but then it got annoying. Think I used it voluntarily about as often as I used a horse in BotW

chrislad wrote: »
    Agreed. I did not get the hate for the Batmobile. I thought it was a bit overused, but it handled well, and was fun.

I enjoyed the DLC races, which had you race in various classic Batmobiles and their respective Batman era tracks, lots of fun.

• Advertisement

Same, to an extent, but it was missing a little bit of that focus that Asylum had. And I too loved the batmobile in Knight, I'd say I went maybe 60%/40% going on foot/gliding/grapnel boosting vs Batmobille tearing around the city.

The Arkham City/Knight games are a bad comparison for the open world comparison that I was making though, more the Ubisoft style, where you get slammed with a map just full of markers for everything, so there's no exploration as such, just "Go to marker, do what you're told". BOTW had an inherent joy of discovery in the remarkable map that they'd put in place. Can't think of any Ubi game where I'd want to bring up a map to see where I'd been and where I hadn't been, just to see if I could explore and see what I can find! You'd just bring up the map to see what markers are left to clear. No joy of discovery, no enticement to just wander and see what you can find.

No comparison, like OoT and Mario 64, BotW came along, looked and smiled on all the other games that had ever been released and then obliterated them.
    Poor Sony and Zero Horizon Dawn, a very good game indeed, at any other time it would have been a "Game of the Year" but it came out at the same time at BotW and just looked "m'eh".
    And all of this when it was actually delayed by over a year because it was held back to be moved to the Switch...

Nintendo are so far ahead of everyone else in many genres, it's scary.
    Makes it all the more confusing when they make mistakes, like voice chat implementation and the lack of analogue triggers on the Switch!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

No comparison, like OoT and Mario 64, BotW came along, looked and smiled on all the other games that had ever been released and then obliterated them.
    Poor Sony and Zero Horizon Dawn, a very good game indeed, at any other time it would have been a "Game of the Year" but it came out at the same time at BotW and just looked "m'eh".
    And all of this when it was actually delayed by over a year because it was held back to be moved to the Switch...

Nintendo are so far ahead of everyone else in many genres, it's scary.
    Makes it all the more confusing when they make mistakes, like voice chat implementation and the lack of analogue triggers on the Switch!

Nintendo do seem to be an "all in" kind of company - either you get full-on silliness like doubling-down on cartridges in the 90s (with attendant high prices) because "optical media won't catch on and that whole SNES-with-a-CD-drive idea was sily", or you get precision-crafted mass appeal like the Wii, which feels like something neither Sony nor Microsoft are actually interested in (in both cases the commercial messaging that I see seems tailored towards self-identified "gamers", whereas Nintendo ads always seem to have more of a balance of "hey, playing games is fun!" while sidestepping any risk of "git-gud" type silliness...).

It's still baffling to think that the same company that had Satellaview in the early 90s can't figure out how to do proper online game services in 2020, though.

Got a text from Smyths at 21.19 telling me my order of Mario Allstars is ready for collection, which I think is jolly mean since I have beer and no work tomorrow, but Smyths is closed.

'Sake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bloodborne (PS4)
    Ico (PS2)
    Super Mario World (SNES)

As a brief non Nintendo aside, if you haven’t played Outer Wilds, it is IMO every single bit as significant, awe-inspiring and perspective-shifting as these games. May not be quite the same as running around in 3D for the first time... but it’s close :) Easily up there with Breath of the Wild.

As a brief non Nintendo aside, if you haven’t played Outer Wilds, it is IMO every single bit as significant, awe-inspiring and perspective-shifting as these games. May not be quite the same as running around in 3D for the first time... but it’s close :) Easily up there with Breath of the Wild.

Yep, Dinorex was banging that particular drum for some time, and I have it on Gamepass, but there are just so many games to play, and only so much time to play them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, Dinorex was banging that particular drum for some time, and I have it on Gamepass, but there are just so many games to play, and only so much time to play them.

I can assure you none of those many games are better than Outer Wilds... unless maybe Return of the Obra Dinn is also on the list ;)

I can assure you none of those many games are better than Outer Wilds... unless maybe Return of the Obra Dinn is also on the list ;)

Yes boss, I'll get right on it... Right after I play all this other stuff...

With yesterday's news I was wondering if it would affect Doom Eternal coming to Switch. But I'd say there'll be no change since already in the works and MS release their games on Switch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

With yesterday's news I was wondering if it would affect Doom Eternal coming to Switch. But I'd say there'll be no change since already in the works and MS release their games on Switch

Sure they are still going ahead with timed exclusives for PS5.

Advertisement