Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah just saw that as well.

I'm sure going forward, Bethesda games won't be able to run on Switch anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

Hi all, I've switched, enjoying Mario 64 all over again. Quick query, I have a 3ds account, somewhat conflicting info when I Google it, do I just setup a separate account? Appears I can't use my 3ds account for Switch except for linking to shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hi all, I've switched, enjoying Mario 64 all over again. Quick query, I have a 3ds account, somewhat conflicting info when I Google it, do I just setup a separate account? Appears I can't use my 3ds account for Switch except for linking to shop?

Think the eshop is the only thing that can be linked using the MyNintendo account. Been a while since I looked into it.

Have to say the battery on the Pro Controller is pretty good. Hadn't used it since playing Octo Expansion last month and still had enough charge in it to play Mario 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Xofpod

https://japantoday.com/category/tech/nintendo%27s-switch-faces-french-claim-of-planned-obsolescence

France taking legal action against Nintendo re joy-con draft and planned obsolescence. ...

*drift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Class action lawsuit against them in America too, my let's go Eevee console joy-cons breakdown and start up on a regular basis, very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Xofpod wrote: »
    *drift

You can edit a post you know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

"Where's that cold breeze coming from?"
    "Check the doors and windows?"
    "Yes, checked them all"
    "You own a Switch?"
    "Yes, yes I do"
    "That'll be it then..."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Don't quit your day job
    Epic poetry student
    Keep bustin those rhymes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know there are a few other threads in the past, but looking at a JoyCon repair as the drift is sadly becoming unbearable in one of the sticks. I know the US repairs are free but am I right in saying that's not necessarily the case here? What are other people's experiences like? Not sure if I still have proof of purchase knocking around anywhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I know there are a few other threads in the past, but looking at a JoyCon repair as the drift is sadly becoming unbearable in one of the sticks. I know the US repairs are free but am I right in saying that's not necessarily the case here? What are other people's experiences like? Not sure if I still have proof of purchase knocking around anywhere...

Yeah, Nintendo charge a fee from the last time I sent one in, if you don't have proof of purchase. I can't recall how much exactly but it wasn't a small fee. They sent it back unfixed after I didn't agree to pay.

A previous set continued to drift a couple of months after Nintendo 'repaired' them anyway so I bought electrical contact cleaner in Woodies and a spray of that has fixed my drift for the past 5 months and for much cheaper too. So maybe the contact cleaner is worth a shot first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

i e-mailed Nintendo customer care about it and they have so far fixed 6 of our 8 joy cons (drift was evident in all of them both right and left as all were bought around launch)

All were repaired free of charge and with one joy con they added a free repair to a broken rail (the bit at the side that clicks into the console, that joy con would slide on and off without needing a button pressed), no issue since the repairs on any of them so far...

e-mailed to get the postage labels to send the last two for repair and this time they gave me this link to book it in: Nintendo Repair

You can edit a post you know.

I'm old-school

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Thinking about getting a Lite to play handheld as I can't really get with the regular version in handheld mode.

Is the general thing to make the Lite your primary system in regards to having your account on both devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Thinking about getting a Lite to play handheld as I can't really get with the regular version in handheld mode.

Is the general thing to make the Lite your primary system in regards to having your account on both devices?

Depends which one will get played more. Cartridges are fine, but download games can only be played by one Switch at a time. The secondary console will always try and phone home to see if the primary one is being played and wont let both play download games at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Also you will need to keep an eye on your cloud saves (if you have NSO) and ensure you are playing on the latest save on whichever device you're on.

Not sure which I will use most tbh, hopefully the Lite gets some use though!, was mainly thinking to remove any need for internet connectivity from it. The regular will be permanently docked so won’t be an issue for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Not sure which I will use most tbh, hopefully the Lite gets some use though!, was mainly thinking to remove any need for internet connectivity from it. The regular will be permanently docked so won’t be an issue for that.

Then the Lite would need to be set as the Primary console and you'll be good to go.

I don't know how anybody can use the switch in hand held mode. It hampers the graphics in Mario Odessey and also breath of the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Only thing I struggled with in BOTW in handheld mode was the 4 divine beasts

• Advertisement

Only thing I struggled with in BOTW in handheld mode was the 4 divine beasts

I don't know how you managed that. Also forgot to say they are the only two major games I have. I only own three games for the switch.

I should really pick up Luigi's Mansion as I played the one on the Gamecube years ago.

I completed Super Meat Boy Dark World in handheld. Must have that game on 10 systems and that’s the only time I’ve ever done that.

Funnily enough, I enjoyed Luigis Mansion more in handheld as well. Got lost for hours in it.

It’s mainly if I don’t play handheld for a while when I go back to it it feels uncomfortable to hold. I’m afraid I might actually snap the thing in half in a fit of (justified) rage.

*rage is justified as I have discovered games are trying to cheat me. It seems to be getting worse the older I get. Most unfair ðŸ™*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I don't know how anybody can use the switch in hand held mode. It hampers the graphics in Mario Odessey and also breath of the wild.

I only played them handheld... Am I missing something? 🀔

Grassey wrote: »
    I only played them handheld... Am I missing something? ��

Yea they would have looked a lot better on a 24" 1080P monitor.

I picked 24" 1080p as it would be the best way for the pixels. If you have a massive 1080p screen it would probably look blocky as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I've hooked my switch up to the TV less than 10 times in 2 years. All for Mario Kart, everything else is handheld.

Completed Odyssey with no issues and currently over 350 hours of animal crossing I would imagine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ultimately it comes down to taste.
    I play my Switch 50/50 between handheld and TV and I've lost nothing choosing either.
    Some games look better on the big screen but they still look great on the devices screen.
    Of course, this is only my opinion.
    The games though, are playable in either fashion, and I've had hours of enjoyment both in Hyrule and New Donk City regardless of the size of the screen at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lads, going to be picking up a Switch for *ahem* the kids for this December. Are there usually bundle deals to be had closer to the time, or I am better just grabbing one from Smyths while they have loads? Between shipping and wait times, seems pretty competitive when compared to Amazon.

Get one now as who knows if there will be any left you could wait 7 weeks until Brack Friday but I'd get one now with Mario All Stars. €375 from Smyths.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-neon-console-and-select-game/b/800424

• Advertisement

Need to get a set of joy-cons tomorrow morning emergency lockdown protocol kit and all that. ;)

Think I'm gonna go with grey

Advertisement