Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's been reported that the manufacturing cost of a Switch is $257 so I'm not sure €250 is realistic anytime soon

Ya, it certainly won't come down to €250 and to be honest it doesn't need to drop that much. Price cuts should happen over time of course, maybe even around the holidays. Bundles will start to be a factor before then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Nailz wrote: »
    I suppose bundles is the only way they can pack more value into the RRP of the Switch...

Likely only way to go... a 299e Switch with Bundled Game MK8 + 1-2 Switch :)
    Cost to Developing MK8 cant been that much considering it based off Wii U.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A Christmas release of a €230 dockless Switch, and a Pokemon or Monster Hunter exclusive for the Switch, it'd be a machine for printing Nintendo lovely cash.

Cidey now thats a great idea! I could see people even buying a second for their homes with a good price like that.

Im actually feeling 330e is good value for a portable home console myself but Im working and old now :) So its a win win.
    But not everyone is in that category, especially parents.

Only reason id like a price drop is when you see and Xbox One 1TB with a game for 239e right now in Argos. You'd have to wonder is it a no brainer vs a switch for many. Im sure it drop regardless over first 2 years much like PS\X1 have over their life cycles as production costs drop so will its price.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Add 23% VAT here and the profit for retailers and/or Nintendo is tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm looking to pick up a new game for the weekend break - thoughts on Mr Shifty or Has Been Heroes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Research firm SuperData revealed today that its analysis shows that Nintendo has sold 2.4 million Switches during its first month of release. The home console/portable hybrid launched worldwide on March 3. SuperData noted that it collaborated with market researcher Gfk and the Japanese gaming publication Famitsu to come up with the figure.

SuperData now projects that the Switch will sell 7.2 million consoles in 2017. That is up from its original forecast of 5 million units, showing that this is a better start than the research group was expecting.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/14/superdata-nintendo-sells-2-4-million-switch-consoles-worldwide-in-first-month/

Thats Worldwide, not just US like the previous number. Mighty impressive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm looking to pick up a new game for the weekend break - thoughts on Mr Shifty or Has Been Heroes?
    I have HBH and I really like it, but it takes a while to play a game and you can't save progress as it's a roguelike, so you can't switch to another game in the middle of it. (but you can put the switch to sleep and resume later).
    But apart from that, I enjoy it. (there's a very good subreddit about it at r/hasbeenheroes with lots of info, tips etc. )
    I can't comment on Mr. Shifty but it does look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

http://gonintendo.com/stories/278109-epic-says-there-are-20-switch-titles-being-worked-on-in-japan-usi

Big name ports? New blockbusters? Or pure rubbish?
    Hopefully we don't have to wait until E3 for something else big to be announced

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is has been hero's as crap as my 5 minute game led me to believe before I stopped playing and went back to zelda? Would I have been better off burning the €25 for heat?

Hadn't heard of this till now : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/04/nintendo_publishes_interview_with_pocket_rumble_developer

And what's up with all the pixel art games that have that 8 / 16 bit retro look lately? It's not just the switch but there seems to be more and more of them each day....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

What do you guys think of Lego City Undercover on the Switch - I had it on the Wii U but gave up because of painful loading times - I am getting pretty frustrated with loading times on the Switch version - anyone else have any thoughts on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Is has been hero's as crap as my 5 minute game led me to believe before I stopped playing and went back to zelda? Would I have been better off burning the €25 for heat?
    It's not everyone's cup of tea.
    5 minutes is not going to tell you much though.
    What specifically put you off?

Apparently Mr. Shifty has framerate issues on the switch : http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/14/15301150/mr-shifty-nintendo-switch-framerate-issues

Looks like the developers didn't deal with feedback very well on twitter..

deadl0ck wrote: »
    It's not everyone's cup of tea.
    5 minutes is not going to tell you much though.
    What specifically put you off?

Not liking the turn based "select player, hit a, guy attacks" type stuff. Tbh it's my own fault really . I jumped in hoping for a streets of rage type game.I should have done my research .

Really enjoying mrshifty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭764dak

Does the Switch have a calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No, it's a games console. Use your phone. :)

Not liking the turn based "select player, hit a, guy attacks" type stuff. Tbh it's my own fault really . I jumped in hoping for a streets of rage type game.I should have done my research .

Really enjoying mrshifty though.
    Notice any of the slow down that's being reported? I might give it a go if it's not too bad

Hadn't heard of this one (Tumbleseed) before : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-14-roguelike-tumbleseed-is-rolling-onto-switch-ps4-and-steam-in-may
    Not sure what to think of it based on the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I went for Has Been Heroes. It's not bad, and I can see myself getting into it, but they need to add stuff like persistent heroes (ie you can level them, and make starting waves easier for you), keys needs to be saved between playthroughs (I bought 3 keys, died, and I lost them all, bit pointless), and it just needs to have a better sense of progression. I bought two spells, and now I can't use them at the start of a game (I assume I have to find them again)

It has potential, but it needs a big patch to make it more fun and rewarding that it currently is.

This is a super small thing. You can redeem the same game twice and get my nintendo coins for it!

• Advertisement

This is a super small thing. You can redeem the same game twice and get my nintendo coins for it!
    You mean on any of the digital titles?

You mean on any of the digital titles?

Like this is my second switch and second physical copy of zelda, and I've got coins for both of them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Like this is my second switch and second physical copy of zelda, and I've got coins for both of them.

How do you redeem the console itself? I can see how redeem games just not the console.

mayordenis wrote: »
    How do you redeem the console itself? I can see how redeem games just not the console.

I meant both zelda games, not the console. Is there a way to get coins for the console?

Notice any of the slow down that's being reported? I might give it a go if it's not too bad

Just a small bit but not affecting my enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr E wrote: »
    No, it's a games console. Use your phone. :)

If you have 2 hearts and you eat an apple worth half a heart, how many hearts will you have?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The switch can do some very specific maths no problem, very advanced machine.

Like if you want to add say 12.99 to 6.99 just fire Graceful Explosion Machine and a Neo-Geo port into the auld shopping cart, and bingo bango you've got yourself an answer.

mayordenis wrote: »
    The switch can do some very specific maths no problem, very advanced machine.

Like if you want to add say 12.99 to 6.99 just fire Graceful Explosion Machine and a Neo-Geo port into the auld shopping cart, and bingo bango you've got yourself an answer.

Exactly. The rest of us know the answer to that is €29.45 of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

The girlfriend is a keeper got me an awesome birthday cake and preordered me mario kart switch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Not sure I can recommend The Jackbox Party Pack.

Requires everyone playing to have a decent phone or internet capable device. (My 3rd Gen iPad had trouble with it)

But the biggest problem is how US-centric all the questions are. Like 90% of the questions are just to do with American Sports and TV that aren't really exported. Very little attempt to do more general knowledge questions that would suit a more broad audience.

There's even a Generation Game style 'our survey says' round, but it was clearly just a survey of Americans, so you're constantly second guessing not how people would have responded to the question, but how American's would have.

Advertisement