Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

kingbowser wrote: »
    Regular Switch if you want the full fat Switch experience. Lite is portable only.

I would be looking at the portable only aspect, just for 20 mins playing at a time when i get the time to play.

Does the lite have any considerable downgrades in terms of performance, graphics etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

bmorrissey wrote: »
    I would be looking at the portable only aspect, just for 20 mins playing at a time when i get the time to play.

Does the lite have any considerable downgrades in terms of performance, graphics etc?

Supposed to be a very nice portable experience. I've never used one. Slightly smaller screen and no HD rumble AFAIK. Joycons are not detachable. Maybe less battery capacity too. Just Google to be honest to get the most recent feedback or check the reviews including low star ones on Amazon.

But, if you get joycon drift the whole device is a bit screwed. At least with regular switch you can swap out joycons. For that reason I'd be wary of the lite. Can't believe Nintendo are still screwing this up!

Maybe someone one here can en-lite-ten us :)

Supposed to be a very nice portable experience. I've never used one. Slightly smaller screen and no HD rumble AFAIK. Joycons are not detachable. Maybe less battery capacity too. Just Google to be honest to get the most recent feedback or check the reviews including low star ones on Amazon.

But, if you get joycon drift the whole device is a bit screwed. At least with regular switch you can swap out joycons. For that reason I'd be wary of the lite. Can't believe Nintendo are still screwing this up!

Maybe someone one here can en-lite-ten us :)

Much appreciated, yeah some of the stuff ive read have been since release, and im not sure if any of the problems have been address or corrected. Ive read a good bit about drift alright, and if its a common thing that i will not be able to easilly fix, that could be an issue

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Really on the fence about picking up (trying to convince myself) a nintendo switch lite preferably.

Dont know anyone with one and im looking for any info or advice in regards to usability, positives, price of games and where to get best prices etc!!

The Lite is perfect if you're mainly going to play handheld. My eldest daughter has one and the youngest will have one once Santa arrives. I have a regular Switch and tbh, it is never hooked up to the TV. It means I can game while other family members use the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

The lite is very flimsy regular Switch in handheld is far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Really on the fence about picking up (trying to convince myself) a nintendo switch lite preferably.

Dont know anyone with one and im looking for any info or advice in regards to usability, positives, price of games and where to get best prices etc!!

it really depends on how you will use it

here ours gets docked for the 4 of us to play together often, equally if no kids are around it gets docked for the bigger screen/battery low, one of the kids has the lite and gets frustrated sometimes she can't use her switch lite to play with her sister as the screen is bigger on the tv than on a console... but it's not unworkable, if they had made the lite dock-able it really would be the best... because sometimes you just want that big screen for games...

Gru wrote: »
    it really depends on how you will use it

here ours gets docked for the 4 of us to play together often, equally if no kids are around it gets docked for the bigger screen/battery low, one of the kids has the lite and gets frustrated sometimes she can't use her switch lite to play with her sister as the screen is bigger on the tv than on a console... but it's not unworkable, if they had made the lite dock-able it really would be the best... because sometimes you just want that big screen for games...

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. it will only be me using it and using it for small intervals here and there, during occasional lunch breaks and 30 mins before bed here and there. i will rarely be using it in an area with a TV present that i can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

bmorrissey wrote:
    Thanks for the input, much appreciated. it will only be me using it and using it for small intervals here and there, during occasional lunch breaks and 30 mins before bed here and there. i will rarely be using it in an area with a TV present that i can use.

That's pretty much my use pattern... But with the non-lite.

I found the hori split pad made handheld far more comfortable, plus the bigger screen and battery...

The Dock is handy for just slotting it into to charge, and the rare occasions you want to fire up TV.

Also, with the non-lite I've been able to pop it on a tray on a flight, detach controllers and play 2p game with the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I have a lite only and this is exactly how I use it. On the couch for half an hour or do a shrine or two in Zelda or a few games of rocket league while I'm in bed. I never use it for long gaming sessions. I have a case for it that used to get thrown in my bag for the commute to work which was also really handy.

Grassey wrote: »
    That's pretty much my use pattern... But with the non-lite.

I found the hori split pad made handheld far more comfortable, plus the bigger screen and battery...

The Dock is handy for just slotting it into to charge, and the rare occasions you want to fire up TV.

Also, with the non-lite I've been able to pop it on a tray on a flight, detach controllers and play 2p game with the missus.

Actually a good point, my wife will probably want to sneak it off me to play newer pokemon games :pac:
    DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I have a lite only and this is exactly how I use it. On the couch for half an hour or do a shrine or two in Zelda or a few games of rocket league while I'm in bed. I never use it for long gaming sessions. I have a case for it that used to get thrown in my bag for the commute to work which was also really handy.

Exactly how i plan on doing it, funds being tight this month ill look into it in November i believe, possibly buy a second hand one if i can with games included (possibly risky).

• Advertisement

The Lite is currently on sale on Amazon, not sure about the full version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The Lite is currently on sale on Amazon, not sure about the full version.

It was early. I think it was 315 or so with a copy of Ring Fit. Not a massive saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see that Nintendo are reducing the price of individual joycons in Japan, permanently.

From 4480 yen (about €36) to 3740 yen (about €30).
    Hopefully that price drop makes its way west too.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-permanently-lowering-price-of-individual-joy-con-in-japan/

I thought and again it was very brief too that Currys were the only store in Ireland to stock the solo joy-cons I believe there was quite a backlash against this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CEX do too. Yes they are 2nd hand and a little bit over priced, but I've gotten 2 there (one for myself and one for my nephew) and they are still going strong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I looking for some game recommendations for my 6 year old son please.
    He plays minecraft,splatoon,rocket league and has the games included with the subscription thingy.

Hes asking for super mario maker2 and that untitled goose game, im wondering are these suitable in terms of hes not able to fully read yet so would this be an issue with those games?

Dcully wrote: »
    I looking for some game recommendations for my 6 year old son please.
    He plays minecraft,splatoon,rocket league and has the games included with the subscription thingy.

Hes asking for super mario maker2 and that untitled goose game, im wondering are these suitable in terms of hes not able to fully read yet so would this be an issue with those games?

Animal Crossing. Between myself and my 2 daughters we have over 600 hours put into it.

Super Mario Odyssey is one of the best games on the console, Mario Kart is essential for the switch too I think.

Mario Maker 2 is great fun, no reading necessary really.

Goat Simulator great fun for all ages it is routinely slashed on the eshop so keep an eye out for that. Mario Kart 8 is a definite must have or Nickelodeon Kart Racing is great fun

Nintendo life have a nice tribute to Kirby's epic yarn ...
    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/10/soapbox_10_years_on_kirbys_epic_yarn_is_still_the_pink_puffballs_finest_outing

Just look at the 480p detail on there ... on a Wii !

Think this would be great on a Switch in 1080p. They did a 3DS version too with extra content....
    So I think it could happen ... i.e. they've ported once, they can port again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nintendo life have a nice tribute to Kirby's epic yarn ...
    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/10/soapbox_10_years_on_kirbys_epic_yarn_is_still_the_pink_puffballs_finest_outing

Just look at the 480p detail on there ... on a Wii !

Think this would be great on a Switch in 1080p. They did a 3DS version too with extra content....
    So I think it could happen ... i.e. they've ported once, they can port again!

Must play that again, I have it on the Wii and 3DS but barely played either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My mario kart live just arrived. It's supposed to be for under the tree for my son. Not sure I can hold out 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

jester77 wrote: »
    My mario kart live just arrived. It's supposed to be for under the tree for my son. Not sure I can hold out 2 months

Just collected mine too. Thankfully don't have a son though so that's my weekend sorted. Sorry for your troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Just bought a Neon Switch (finally!) after a long time of to-ing and fro-ing! Bought Super Mario 3D All Stars and Animal Crossing with it, but I'm *allegedly* going to hold off using it until Christmas when I'm off college. Wish me luck on that front.

Just bought a Neon Switch (finally!) after a long time of to-ing and fro-ing! Bought Super Mario 3D All Stars and Animal Crossing with it, but I'm *allegedly* going to hold off using it until Christmas when I'm off college. Wish me luck on that front.

Neon. You chose wisely.

I'd test it out to make sure it's working ok.
    You might not get a replacement at Xmas time. :)

Galaxy is the best bet there to test your Switch.
    Test TV and handheld mode ...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Bought a Switch Lite and was dubious I'd take to it but feck me, best handheld ever? I'm going to get rid of my regular Switch, not for any big reason but really trying to trim down what I have under the Tv as the choice is crippling me tbh. Found my main "gaming" experience for a while was turning on consoles, updating games, then turning them off again :rolleyes: First world problems I know.

I'd miss not seeing Zelda on the big screen and things like that but the use case for me increases massively when I'm stuck to handheld only. I'd never play a game like Doom Eternal on the Switch and Tv but if I can only play handheld, on a device I find much more comfortable to hold than the regular Switch, it's fairly mindblowing tbh. New PC GPUs out atm and power this, RTX that etc and the Switch uses a chip made for what, streaming TV(?), and they can get this kind of performance out of it? Incredible.

When having a look at my regular Switch to update saves etc it was the first time I'd had it in my hand for a while and it really is a beautiful piece of engineering imo. Just oozes class and a premium feel. I don't think that makes it the best for portability, but I'm seriously considering boxing it up and putting it away. Never done that with a console I could get decent money for. Game changing console really, I hope Nintendo build on it.

Thinking about it I'd like to see Nintendo go for a Switch Lite XL - same size and weight but with the screen edge to edge and beefier specs inside, and then have an optional dock for it. This could be a fairly powerful bit of tech that has the power/chips/connectivity to bump the res up to 4k, conect controllers etc. If you want to play on Tv get that, and a controller I suppose, no obligation otherwise.

Also, funny to think the Wii U is considered such a failure (well sales wise it's hard to argue) but the Switch is really just a refinement of it. Should have called it the Wii U U :pac:

But yeah as a handheld I'd say it's peerless. Bought the Castlevania Collection ages ago and never got into it (I have numerous ways to play most of these on big screens tbh) but in handheld with a great D-pad and solid face buttons, mwah *chef's kiss*.

Ah ol Ninty, a great bunch of lads! ;)

Finally got around to testing out Mario Kart Live for the last few hours. This is some craic. Even with only 1 player. I'll be doing Time Trials with the other half for sure. She's not a gamer but she loves this.
    The picture quality isn't HD but it's more than good enough. Sometimes tracks which may be slightly obscured ahead can be seen through walls which makes it slightly confusing at times. But fine once you get the hang of it.
    Only lost connection once with the kart when I tried to make an over ambitious track. But it only lost connection that once and was able to build that course in the end.
    Its gas watching my dog following the kart around the track too.
    Don't think he's a fan.

Finally got around to testing out Mario Kart Live for the last few hours. This is some craic. Even with only 1 player. I'll be doing Time Trials with the other half for sure. She's not a gamer but she loves this.
    The picture quality isn't HD but it's more than good enough. Sometimes tracks which may be slightly obscured ahead can be seen through walls which makes it slightly confusing at times. But fine once you get the hang of it.
    Only lost connection once with the kart when I tried to make an over ambitious track. But it only lost connection that once and was able to build that course in the end.
    Its gas watching my dog following the kart around the track too.
    Don't think he's a fan.

Was wondering what the wireless range would be since my switch WiFi range is terrible. My mobile 10 years ago had much better WiFi. Also the joycons (Bluetooth) can't seem to go very far and disconnect too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My dog bailed out of the kitchen while I was racing around the place.
    I thought there'd be more trackside decorations, maybe they'll patch some more features into it.
    The ability to save different track designs while leaving the gates in place would be nice, for a start.

You can use your own trackside decorations. Seen some great clips of people using Amiibo, old consoles, posters and Halloween themed courses for the time of year.
    Hopefully Nintendo do add more content though. Would be great to see them support it post launch.

• Advertisement

If they provided printable material, much like the AR cards that came with the 3DS, you could make bits and bobs for trackside.
    Also, they probably need to introduce more variation.
    I just don't want to end up using it twice more before sticking in storage.

Advertisement