Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Mr E wrote: »
    The NSO icon on the Switch. People seem to hate it (it's red, despite your theme).
    I expect a firmware update to blend it better in the next few days.

When's the BOTW2 Icon appearing - that's what I want to know !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Next week after the surprise drop at The Game Awards. :)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Next week after the surprise drop at The Game Awards. :)

I tell you. people would be crying into their series Xs and PS5s if that was dropped :)

I would be happy with footage of 1 of several things from the Game Awards. BotW2, Metroid Prime 4, Metroid Prime Trilogy or to a lesser extent, Bayonetta 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Metroid Prime 4

Really doubt that will be any time soon, given development was scrapped and restarted, but I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong!

• Advertisement

Maybe they can show an updated logo

Wasn't the first BotW gameplay shown at the Game Awards? Where they were riding through the trees saying how the horse knew not to run into trees.

Wasn't the first BotW gameplay shown at the Game Awards? Where they were riding through the trees saying how the horse knew not to run into trees.

That demo looked so bad. But they didn't seem bothered. Think they knew they had another 3 years / whatever to finish the game.

Quick question. Are the likes of Smyths and Argos now open for just going in and buying things or are they still Click and Collect only?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Quick question. Are the likes of Smyths and Argos now open for just going in and buying things or are they still Click and Collect only?

Wandered in to Smyths to grab a present yesterday.

Took 2 mins, deadly.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Parents will be doing shopping in the coming days and they're not tech savvy so having to do click and collect would mean either going somewhere else or having me do it for them. Probably not the best way to do things if buying presents for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Today is the 4th anniversary of the Switch's release! Hard to believe it has been out that long!

At this stage I've accumulated more games (mainly digital releases) for it than any previous system I've owned. I think with a couple more years of quality games, it might end up being my favourite system too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Today is the 4th anniversary of the Switch's release! Hard to believe it has been out that long!

At this stage I've accumulated more games (mainly digital releases) for it than any previous system I've owned. I think with a couple more years of quality games, it might end up being my favourite system too.
    Don't think anything will ever trump the N64 for me! The transition from 2D to 3D was such a dramatic paradigm shift that I don't think we can capture that sense of awe and wonder again. Such an exciting time to be a gamer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't think anything will ever trump the N64 for me! The transition from 2D to 3D was such a dramatic paradigm shift that I don't think we can capture that sense of awe and wonder again. Such an exciting time to be a gamer!

Be glad you aren't posting this on the Arcade and Retro forum!
    While you'll find plenty of fans of the system, including me, many more will say that the only way to enjoy those games these days is via emulation.
    Alone, the chance to rid yourself of the over-enthusiatic anti-aliasing is worth doing it.
    And, while I agree that the shift from SNES to N64 was a massive leap, it doesn't always make it consistently better, certainly there are more must play titles on the SNES than the N64 can dream of, at least in this jaded old gamers opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Only truly outstanding Nintendo only game I've played on the Switch so far is BOTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

[ The transition from 2D to 3D was such a dramatic paradigm shift that I don't think we can capture that sense of awe and wonder again. ![/quote]

Did you not see that rumour that the SuperSwitchPro will be in 4D.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

The Nal wrote: »
    Only truly outstanding Nintendo only game I've played on the Switch so far is BOTW.

I'd throw Odyssey in there too. Overall very underwhelmed by the library, as someone who has all the games ported from the WiiU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm pretty amazed at Doom on the Switch, as well as the excellent version of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.
    I know they are also on other systems and looking better there, but there is something pretty cool at playing them when in handheld mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm pretty amazed at Doom on the Switch, as well as the excellent version of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.
    I know they are also on other systems and looking better there, but there is something pretty cool at playing them when in handheld mode.

Apex legends next week could be another surprise hit. I hope it is.

Another comparison to make between Switch and N64. Neither have a Metroid game. (Ignoring the Switch online games)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Looks like the Switch can natively play or emulate all the previous console stuff.
    e.g. All the WiiU stuff ports fine.
    e.g. All the Wii stuff ports with HD improvements (Galaxy, SS).
    therefore everything before easily ports or emulates on it.
    It does portable, docked and supports motion control.
    So, they are covered for wii, gb, ds, ...

So, It's a great Nintendo machine.
    Except for those dumb dumb joycons.
    They need to fix that.

Also, coming from WiiU it isn't amazing. But it's just more convenient. And simpler.

(edit)
    Also, the name and the click and the moving switch icon is genius.
    So, they've knocked this out of the park marketing wise.
    Also, it's a universal console. Really, they've entered Apple territory with that.

Meanwhile, Sony and MS are "ugh, me kill bad guys with big machine guy and watch head explode in 4k. You can play this with Family, No?"

The closest Sony have gotten to Nintendo quality gaming goodness are Tearaway on the PSVita, Puppeteer on the PS3, and their outstanding Astrobot series, the latest of which on the PS5 is amazing

I think they generally take the less risky investment. Teenage/adult male gamers.
    Maybe it's a guaranteed gaming audience ... but they are leaving the market wide open to Nintendo.
    Also, maybe it really hard to create a really playable game with universal appeal.
    MS had to pay bazillions for Minecraft. They knew this stuff doesn't grow on trees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

So with gyro controls (eugh) I've managed to turn them off for indivual games but can you just disable them altogether? I tried searching settings but that's calibrate.

Just want rid of the annoying things.

Oh no - I love gyro controls in BOTW - you can (example) aim the bow with fine precision ... and use in conjunction with the controller ...

But if you really want to turn them off, use a controller that doesn't support gyro controls.

most FPS games just wouldn't work on switch portable without gyro aiming as the right-joycon stick on its own is very poor for aiming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Oh no - I love gyro controls in BOTW - you can (example) aim the bow with fine precision ... and use in conjunction with the controller ...

But if you really want to turn them off, use a controller that doesn't support gyro controls.

It's BOTW I'm currently playing and want to turn them off for and that's done.

But can you just tell the console to turn em off for good?

recyclops wrote: »
    It's BOTW I'm currently playing and want to turn them off for and that's done.

But can you just tell the console to turn em off for good?

don't think so - only by game.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

More Switch Pro rumours (but in Bloomberg)

Switch Pro launching later this year, with 7 inch OLED screen from Samsung, 4k docked, 720p portable.

Bloomberg: Switch Pro being unveiled later in 2021, has bigger Samsung OLED display & 4k resolution in docked mode
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-04/nintendo-plans-switch-model-with-bigger-samsung-oled-display

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    More Switch Pro rumours (but in Bloomberg)

Switch Pro launching later this year, with 7 inch OLED screen from Samsung, 4k docked, 720p portable.

Bloomberg: Switch Pro being unveiled later in 2021, has bigger Samsung OLED display & 4k resolution in docked mode
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-04/nintendo-plans-switch-model-with-bigger-samsung-oled-display

Hopefully it packs more powerful hardware, not just a resolution boost. Oh, and analogue sticks that don't drift!

Advertisement