Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    More Switch Pro rumours (but in Bloomberg)

Switch Pro launching later this year, with 7 inch OLED screen from Samsung, 4k docked, 720p portable.

Bloomberg: Switch Pro being unveiled later in 2021, has bigger Samsung OLED display & 4k resolution in docked mode
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-04/nintendo-plans-switch-model-with-bigger-samsung-oled-display

Yep, the news has been predicted since the blasted thing was released!
    But it is great to get news of a proper hardware refresh, though I imagine this may herald its replacement in 2022

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Sounds like a better docked experience.
    Maybe this time, there will be extra hardware in the dock.
    Or maybe it was there all along and we just thought it was an expensive bit of Nintendo plastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Sounds like a better docked experience.
    Maybe this time, there will be extra hardware in the dock.
    Or maybe it was there all along and we just thought it was an expensive bit of Nintendo plastic :)
    Extra hardware in the dock is complicated from an OS point of view, and will be less seamless of a transition between states. Especially when you have a six year old who pops it in and out 20 times in 30 seconds.

They might provide the option of a "Pro" dock with more hardware in it, then at least you can make the base unit more affordable, and the kind of person who buys a Pro dock would be more forgiving & gentle with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

If this is true at 720 again. How disappointing. With the larger screen you will notice the difference was 1080 to much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭McFly85

Genuinely confused by this. I mean, it it's supposed to be out by the end of the year and Nintendo haven't announced it yet, it sounds like it's a hardware revision moreso than the next generation of switch.

Why bother? The current one is still selling well. You'd have to assume the new one would cost more to make at the start too.

Also, is 4K support for the current generation of switch games really a necessity?

It will also take away from the eventual Switch 2 announcement, which you would expect to have 4k and a bigger screen.

It sounds like a hardware revision for a very small amount of consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Another mid generation hardware revision I think. Same as 3DS and New 3DS.

I know a lot of people who will upgrade from the 6.2 inch version (me included, I upgraded to the red box version when it came out).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Longing wrote: »
    If this is true at 720 again. How disappointing. With the larger screen you will notice the difference was 1080 to much to ask.

Got a new projector. Horace and especially BOTW looks glorious on it. Annoyed now I played BOTW on my old 720p projector. The difference is huge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    Another mid generation hardware revision I think. Same as 3DS and New 3DS.

I know a lot of people who will upgrade from the 6.2 inch version (me included, I upgraded to the red box version when it came out).

I, too, am a sucker for their hardware revisions, though I didn't spring for the last new version with the improved battery.
    I will certainly be pre-ordering this as soon as it is announced.

But, again, I do think it will herald a new piece of hardware, probably announced at next years E3.
    I don't think people could have realistically expected a wholly new system only four years downstream from the Switch and its launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

If they don't call it the Super Nintendo Switch then I'm not interested.

Is there any indication that something other than the screen will be upgraded?

• Advertisement

must be using DLSS to get to a docked AI-produced 4k (upscaled from 1440p)

wonder what cpu it is - most likely the Nvidia Tegra Xavier as it has Tensor cores required for DLSS

unless there is a custom chip

I don't think there will ever be a "new" Switch.
    It'll be continuous revisions/incremental improvements. e.g. like iPhone and Android. Maybe not as often
    They've got a very successful platform now with backward compatibility + a cloud service. Does docked and portable.

Longing wrote: »

a lot of the time the current switch is not outputting at 720p at all in handheld

e.g. Doom, Witcher, Xenoblade etc are at 360p at lot of the time on portable

A 720p screen with OLED at actual 720p on a 7 inch screen would look good and still has a good pixel density

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can we just insert a 4MB expansion pak?

CastorTroy wrote: »

Yes, for 1 frame of 4K animation :)

CastorTroy wrote: »

I have nightmares about Perfect Dark...
    But then I wake up, get a glass of water and go back to sleep.
    Then I have nightmares about Perfect Dark Zero...

Is there any indication that something other than the screen will be upgraded?

no details on the cpu, ram, memory bandwidth side but there will be an upgrade there also.

but probably not as much as some expect - it will be incremental rather than a huge jump.

some commentators have said to expect something in the line of the 3DS vs new 3DS capability

but that should be enough to push out higher framerates all the same - e.g. even going from 30fps to 60 fps in a lot of games (which has already been done by people over-clocking existing switch hardware with custom firmware)

this guy is good on these sort of matter - worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have nightmares about Perfect Dark...
    But then I wake up, get a glass of water and go back to sleep.
    Then I have nightmares about Perfect Dark Zero...

Might I recomend daydreaming about Rare Replay

Might I recomend daydreaming about Rare Replay

I have it, tried it, thought that Perfect Dark needed some love, then realised that it was horribly dated and no fun at all.

Blastcorps is still just outstanding and needs a Switch release asap

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Blastcorps was fun Jet Force Gemini was epic

• Advertisement

Blastcorps was fun Jet Force Gemini was epic

Agreed
    But...
    They really really needed to fix the controls, they were awful.
    And they didn't, it's a pig to control on the XB1

However...
    I did play and finish Jet Force Gemini on the N64, the first time around, it was epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Are download codes a way to gift someone a specific game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Are download codes a way to gift someone a specific game?

I had a look at Smyths to see but they only seem to be available for season passes or add on packs, not full games. You might be better off giving eShop credit equal to the price of the game you have in mind, though they only do them in €15, €25 and €50 bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

If they don't call it the Super Nintendo Switch then I'm not interested.
    Isn't it obvious it's gonna be called "Switch U" gonna launch with ports Nintendoland and wonderful 101:D oh nearly forgot wii sports online remastered where I was the only one ever online😂

So how's everyone planning on stopping their copies of AllStars from self destructing next week? :)

I remembered there was something else due to disappear on the 31st as well so looked it up and it's the original Fire Emblem.
    So, a reminder that if you want Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light you have to get it before it disappears.

Nintendo can shove their FOMO where the sun don't shine.

So i ordered a Switch today from Smyth's with Bowsers Fury. Looking forward to hooking it up beside the oul' PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

Hi all
    Wondering would anyone have come across same issue as I am having with nintendo switch.my switch will play perfect while on hand held mode and will charge in docking station no bother but all of a sudden it will no longer work on telly,never had issue with this before and nothing has changed,have tried diff cable from switch dock to telly but no joy
    Appreciate any help thanks

• Advertisement

Today's the day!
    Bye bye Mister Mario guy.

Advertisement