Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Today's the day!
    Bye bye Mister Mario guy.

So, how long will they wait before releasing Mario 64, Maario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy as standalone purchases?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, how long will they wait before releasing Mario 64, Maario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy as standalone purchases?

More importantly, when are we getting BOTW 2 and some original games?!

Sad indictment of Nintendo at the moment when we're crossing our fingers for ports of 25 year old games! Shocking stuff.

Did people have to pay for that pack of games only for it to expire?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No expiry. Just not selling it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

inthehole1 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Wondering would anyone have come across same issue as I am having with nintendo switch.my switch will play perfect while on hand held mode and will charge in docking station no bother but all of a sudden it will no longer work on telly,never had issue with this before and nothing has changed,have tried diff cable from switch dock to telly but no joy
    Appreciate any help thanks

Mine acts up sometimes when I try to play on the telly (as in it doesn't work).

I've discovered that taking it out of the dock and charging it for a few mins then putting it into the dock (and of course plugging it into the wall), and then it works on the telly.

Don't ask me, but I have been doing this for a few months by now.

• Advertisement

For so me reason I'm only playing Mario 35 for the first time now. Highest rank was 13 which I'll take as good since loads. Levelled way higher went out before me. But kinda glad I don't stay on. Did some spectating after dying and it's just boring how they keep going and going

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Switch Firmware 12.0 is out now. For a full number release, it's very underwhelming.
    We are on the equivalent of 3DS stability updates at this stage.

We fixed the issue with the save data backup feature, where in rare cases, the automatic backup of save data is interrupted if a communication error occurs during completion of the save data backup process.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Is there anything you'd particularly be looking for in firmware updates that hasn't been delivered so far?

The main thing I want from an update is to not break anything, with the possibility of fixing existing bugs or adding new features somewhere behind that. In that context "underwhelming" sounds ideal ;)

Folders, to be honest. I have well over 100+ games on my SD card and I'd love to organise them in some way.

The eshop could be overhauled too (although I accept that it's just a web service and can be done outside of Switch updates)

An update that installs BotW2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

A "pause real time" feature, so I have time to play the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

inthehole1 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Wondering would anyone have come across same issue as I am having with nintendo switch.my switch will play perfect while on hand held mode and will charge in docking station no bother but all of a sudden it will no longer work on telly,never had issue with this before and nothing has changed,have tried diff cable from switch dock to telly but no joy
    Appreciate any help thanks

Is your docking station flashing green? This started happening me last week and no longer works with the TV now or charges on the docking station.

An interesting development on the latest firmware update. Data miners have discovered that v12 of the firmware has added the ability for the docks firmware to be updated...

https://mynintendonews.com/2021/04/07/the-recent-switch-firmware-update-has-enabled-the-switch-docks-firmware-to-be-updated/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Mr E wrote:
    An interesting development on the latest firmware update. Data miners have discovered that v12 of the firmware has added the ability for the docks firmware to be updated...

And to (maybe) prefer 4k display...

The latest update seems to have added a bluetooth driver (for bluetooth audio).

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1379934036622249989

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone have any issues with controllers not charging, my left one will not charge so wont work when not connected. Its still under warranty I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Glebee wrote: »
    Anyone have any issues with controllers not charging, my left one will not charge so wont work when not connected. Its still under warranty I guess..
    No idea if this works or not

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/Troubleshooting/Joy-Con-Controller-Power-Issues-1364361.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thanks for that, ive tried everything. No luck. Right controller just wont charge when connected. Works when attached to switch but when not connected battery is dead ao wont work. Bought it off amazon so have been in contact with them and they have to sort it out. Only got before christmas so i presume its still under warrenty. Strange one as it has been minded well.

Jus since I saw it in the amazon bargains thread, though I missed the bargain, I was wondering would something like this work for the Switch or does it have to be the nintendo branded ethernet adaptor?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YFLGYZK

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Glebee wrote: »
    Thanks for that, ive tried everything. No luck. Right controller just wont charge when connected. Works when attached to switch but when not connected battery is dead ao wont work. Bought it off amazon so have been in contact with them and they have to sort it out. Only got before christmas so i presume its still under warrenty. Strange one as it has been minded well.

Joycons are the real Achilles Heel of the Switch. It's amazing this is still such an issue 4+ years after launch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Xofpod wrote: »
    Joycons are the real Achilles Heel of the Switch. It's amazing this is still such an issue 4+ years after launch

For a company that always excelled at control options, the Joycons are pretty lousy.
    I have controllers that have never been updated and always in use, from the NES, SNES, built in stuff on the Gameboy and DS, all working like new.
    And, if they aren't, a quick replacement membrane and they are good to go.
    Even the N64 controllers have given me little trouble.
    The Switch controllers have been the worst part of the console since launch, poor poor QA on those, far below what I had come to expect from Ninty.
    Hopefully the next device will be more robust in every way, but especially those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Even the N64 controllers have given me little trouble.
    I remember having way more hassle with the official N64 controllers getting gunk around the stick and drifting. That's said it was much easier to open them and clean.

Grassey wrote: »
    I remember having way more hassle with the official N64 controllers getting gunk around the stick and drifting. That's said it was much easier to open them and clean.

I've a heap of them and they are mostly all still working...
    But then it is 26 years later!
    As for design, well that could have been better, but the integration of the analogue stick into nearly every game was inspired, Waverace, 1080° and Excitebike 64 are fantastic with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I've a heap of them and they are mostly all still working...
    But then it is 26 years later!
    As for design, well that could have been better, but the integration of the analogue stick into nearly every game was inspired, Waverace, 1080° and Excitebike 64 are fantastic with it
    The N64 controller tends to get a lot of criticism, but was incredibly innovative, introducing technology that all other controllers have aped to this day. As you say, the analogue stick was a vast improvement on the D-pad. The rumble pack added to the immersive experience and is a ubiquitous feature now. And the z-trigger was perfect for first-person shooters too. No doubt that others (including Nintendo themselves with the GC controller) refined on the design, but there's no denying the influence its had

The N64 controller tends to get a lot of criticism, but was incredibly innovative, introducing technology that all other controllers have aped to this day. As you say, the analogue stick was a vast improvement on the D-pad. The rumble pack added to the immersive experience and is a ubiquitous feature now. And the z-trigger was perfect for first-person shooters too. No doubt that others (including Nintendo themselves with the GC controller) refined on the design, but there's no denying the influence its had

The Atari 5200 had the first analogue stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Atari 5200 had the first analogue stick.

That was more a mini joystick, and they had their time too, but the analogue thumb-stick on a controller really came to prominence with the N64. (The NEO-GEO CD controller had an analogue thumb-stick too of course, but that was much more limited)

Star Lord wrote: »
    That was more a mini joystick, and they had their time too, but the analogue thumb-stick on a controller really came to prominence with the N64. (The NEO-GEO CD controller had an analogue thumb-stick too of course, but that was much more limited)

It was an analogue control, all the same. Nintendo fans seem to be obsessed with attempting to list alleged firsts that Nintendo achieved. You'd swear Nintendo invented video games and everything in it.

The reality is that video games have evolved incrementally over time, with all companies making their contribution, including Nintendo.

I never see these claims in other groups, just Nintendo forums. It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Quick question for yis, if you don't mind.

I played through Pikmin 3 again on WiiU at the start of the first lockdown. Loved it very much.

Would it be worth splashing out on this delexe version in terms of a single player game? Not remotely interested in any multi player craic.

Thank you!

Also, I have a strange hankering for a golf game, will I just go mad and get that PGA one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Golf Story is absolutely brilliant for what it is. I loved it. Might be enough to scratch that golf itch and if not... well it’s fecking awesome so there’s that.

• Advertisement

It was an analogue control, all the same. Nintendo fans seem to be obsessed with attempting to list alleged firsts that Nintendo achieved. You'd swear Nintendo invented video games and everything in it.

The reality is that video games have evolved incrementally over time, with all companies making their contribution, including Nintendo.

I never see these claims in other groups, just Nintendo forums. It's weird.

Well, in fairness, analogue controllers were typical when it came to the PC, back in the '80s.
    The 5200 was a failed lump from a dying company, and its analogue feature was never baked into the software as Nintendo did with theirs, starting with that analogue showcase, Super Mario 64.

As for the comment about it being "just Nintendo forums. It's weird", it's not so weird.
    The N64 was the first console to bring analogue control to the masses, and with great success.
    The 5200 failed, the controller was widely derided as awful and the whole kit and kaboodle quickly forgotten, with the release of the more conventional 7800.
    And this is a Nintendo forum, why is it always such a surprise for folk to find champions and fans of the brand here?

Advertisement