Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Just having used controllers that are more ergonomic (PS4, X-Box 360) and Analogues that are more reactive and have larger radius, I just find it a bit finnicky. I mean, it's WAY better than say a Gameboy SP. Just wish the sticks were a few mm longer

I'll agree with you on the Xbox 360 controller (I have one for PC gaming) as I love that controller and it's jelly-bean buttons but the PS4 controller is only ergonomic because we've had four generations to get used to being jabbed in the palm of the hand and evolving longer and more versatile thumbs. I think the Playstation controller design was received as well as it was because we were coming from even worse controllers. I mean, my generation thought the NES controller was grand and that the N64 controller fit like a glove (even with the angry welts ground into our hands from Killer Instinct and Mario Party).

I mean, the most (truly) ergonomic controller I've found was that weird one-handed Ps1 controller and even that was unusual and a by-word for having a **** while playing Dead or Alive.

The Switch Pro controller isn't all that great either mind you, but it's an almost-copy of the Xbox One controller which is a point in its favour :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Good old Pyramid Head!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I posted here a little while back about the how the Joy Cons with the grip work pretty good and I was fine with them. Been using the Pro Controller for the last week or so and I find it fantastic, an absolute joy to use with Zelda. I find myself playing longer and longer using it, out of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Gamecube Controller is the all time king.

I like the switch pro controller though it's very nice to hold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've warmed up to the GC controller now, after a decade of not liking it at all.
    My Wavebird is probably the best of that bunch, and seems to rarely need a battery change.
    I must take a look at the GC collection and see what's missing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Caved in and bought one.

Was in my local Tesco tonight and saw something slightly interesting. On the desk where all the free leaflets advertising services etc there was quite a few big stacks of booklets about the Switch. Obviously Tesco don't sell the Switch but it's good to see that the advertising and marketing is done in people central places like shopping centres etc. They really stood out amongst anything else on there as well.

It's a really nice booklet too, 2 page spreads for each of Zelda, Splatoon, Arms, Mario Odyssey with a release schedule guide as well along with a nice round up of all the accessories.

IMG_20170422_213520.jpg
    IMG_20170422_213626.jpg
    IMG_20170422_213843.jpg
    IMG_20170422_213950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Interesting comparison of Japanese sales vs PS4 after 7 weeks.
    This estimates 650,000 sold in first 7 weeks, and still selling out mostly.
    The side by side comparison is encouraging with MK8 still to land
    http://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch-versus-the-ps4-a-japanese-sales-co-1794485970

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Okay so who is getting Mario kart this week? Any possibility of setting up a race with a few boardsies? I have no idea how to do this so if someone does and thinks its a good idea then count me in - it could be a bit of craic.

Interesting comparison of Japanese sales vs PS4 after 7 weeks.
    This estimates 650,000 sold in first 7 weeks, and still selling out mostly.
    The side by side comparison is encouraging with MK8 still to land
    http://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch-versus-the-ps4-a-japanese-sales-co-1794485970

I believe early sales of the WiiU were also promising, but it's not really fair of me to compare, really it's the year 1 to 2 sales that will hopefully demonstrate strong growth in the brand.

They really need to get some AAA new titles out there though, it's all a little thin at the moment and for WiiU owners that also own a Switch, all a bit familiar.
    It'll be very interesting to see what Activision have planned for the CoD WWII game, if that gets a Switch release with some possibility of LAN parties with multiple consoles, it will be just the type of release the system needs.
    Also, a similar multiplayer focus with Payday 2 would be welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is there a Mario Kart demo due before Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is there a Mario Kart demo due before Friday?

Fire up your wiiu

• Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Fire up your wiiu

LOL So true.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I believe early sales of the WiiU were also promising, but it's not really fair of me to compare, really it's the year 1 to 2 sales that will hopefully demonstrate strong growth in the brand.

They really need to get some AAA new titles out there though, it's all a little thin at the moment and for WiiU owners that also own a Switch, all a bit familiar.
    It'll be very interesting to see what Activision have planned for the CoD WWII game, if that gets a Switch release with some possibility of LAN parties with multiple consoles, it will be just the type of release the system needs.
    Also, a similar multiplayer focus with Payday 2 would be welcome.

Oh yeah I agree with all of that, I was just trying to point out that since the PS4 launched at roughly the same time of year, sales had dropped off by this early stage yet no one would say it has been a failure. Switch is holding steady and has come through a lean few weeks, mario kart should boost it for the next 2 weeks or so.
    I'm not expecting many AAA games on this system, especially not this year as there isn't a big enough market yet to make the effort of porting worthwhile. If this thing can get to, say 20 million by Christmas next year then it might be a bit more realistic. That's if it's technically even possible.
    Can't wait for some info on Skyrim, if they can make that run at a smooth frame rate at 1080p then its up to developers to decide if they want to get on board. But without a solid market to aim at, no chance

Any word on the online services/virtual console? Last I heard it would be fully activated 'late 2017' with a free version launching earlier than that, maybe summer.

Tangentially related, will online services for Mario Kart 8 be active when the game releases this coming week?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Fire up your wiiu

I think they've got a cream for that you poor bugger, fire up the old wazoo, ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Rhyme wrote: »
    Any word on the online services/virtual console? Last I heard it would be fully activated 'late 2017' with a free version launching earlier than that, maybe summer.
    The latest I saw was in the Direct trailer for MK8 Deluxe. Starting this fall they'll be charging.

Small print at about the 24 sec mark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The latest I saw was in the Direct trailer for MK8 Deluxe. Starting this fall they'll be charging.

Not being smart but we already knew that much.

sligeach wrote: »
    Not being smart but we already knew that much.

Someone asked the question and he just gave what was the latest communication about it.

• Advertisement

I can't see this going through fully but a developer called 'Borderless Gaming' is developing an app called 'Rainway' which will apparently allow PC games to be streamed to the Switch via wifi. When asked about whether Nintendo will allow this, the developer replied 'It will be available in the eShop'

https://rainway.io/

ifA5dqG.png

More than likely a developer just trying to get some early hype for his app though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Corholio wrote: »
    I can't see this going through fully but a developer called 'Borderless Gaming' is developing an app called 'Rainway' which will apparently allow PC games to be streamed to the Switch via wifi. When asked about whether Nintendo will allow this, the developer replied 'It will be available in the eShop'

https://rainway.io/

ifA5dqG.png

More than likely a developer just trying to get some early hype for his app though.

Which probably means he thinks he can put it on the eshop without any issue... Which I'd doubt.

CastorTroy wrote: »

[video link]

Yeah, that's what I figured. Just mentions that the charging part will start in Fall but nothing on when the services rollout in the 'try for free' part. Ah well, will just have to wait and see for sure.

Part of me wants it sooner before the good weather will take me away from the Switch but the rest of me figures it'll be a summer start so the 'free' part is only a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Star Lord wrote: »
    Which probably means he thinks he can put it on the eshop without any issue... Which I'd doubt.

Well, aside from the difficulties everyone has getting on the eShop, is there any reason for Ninty to block this? It's not a competing platform, they've been at great pains to stress that they're going their own way; It removes the need to bring in any form of non-game entertainment to the switch (you want a browser? Netflix? Music? F-off and stream it from your PC.); It fixes the AAA problem - if it's on PC, it's on Switch - and all it costs them is some potential revenue due to people not needing interim release games to tide them over between the big hitters (Sorry, Mr Shifty, but you were only ever going to be a Zelda Rebound game!) and introducing a legitimate and supported way to play pirated Switch, WiiU, Wii, Gamecube, N64, Snes, Nes, 3DS, DS, GBA and GB games that are running on an emulator on the PC. Oh wait, now I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'll be taking a trip to mainland Europe this summer and I'm trying to figure out the best solution to keeping the Switch powered when away. I've done a little Google searching on this and it seems more complicated than I'd imagine, issues with USB C cable quality, the required voltage etc...

So what is the best solution? Are there any recommended USB cables to buy or a particular charger to buy that anyone can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You're looking for a charger and battery that will give you an output of 5v 3A (anything over 2.4A is probably good enough) over a single cable connection. The cable should mention "56k Ohm" somewhere in the description.

I have the following :
    Battery - Anker Powercore 20100 - had to order via the An Post forwarding service. Got it for ?22. Takes ages to fill it. Will charge a sleeping Switch. It's just powerful enough to charge the Switch up while playing, but it's very slow going! Haven't tested how long it'll run for on it. There are better options, e.g. the Powercore+, that could probably be recharged faster and/or deliver a better charge but for the price I think this was the best capacity available to me.

Charger - Anker Powerport+ - Thought I was being clever getting a Quickcharge compatible charger, turns out neither my phone nor the Switch support Quickcharge. But it does charge them up at "regular" rates.

Cable - That's right, another Anker! - Not had any issues with the cable in relation to current draw or heat, been using it pretty much daily since March 3rd.

There are plenty of options, just telling you what I have because I know it works.

What a bunch of Ankers

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What a bunch of Ankers

12qpTRdbZdfzTG.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I tried hard to like that game but it just didn't click with me. I feel like the level design was not quite good enough. For other similar games like Ori and the Blind Forest or Guacamelee I felt the sense of exploration in the levels. I never quite knew exactly where I was going but I felt I was generally being guided to the right places. In Axiom Verge I just felt lost all the time and it became quite frustrating.

Advertisement