Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    Is there anyone on this thread who actually thinks a Switch version of CoD would actually be worthwhile?

I don't see it as a negative at all. Any version of any major multi-platform AAA release will be inferior on Switch and will be compared endlessly.

"Shadow of War on PS4 Pro vs Nintendo Switch looks bad for Nintendo"

It's a waste of everyone's time and only looks negative for Nintendo.

I am happy enough for them to keep releasing indie games and Nintendo exclusives. Not really interested in playing an inferior version of COD. (not interested in playing any COD ever but that's another story)

People are going to be SO disappointed when they realize that the Switch version of Skyrim will be the original game and not the remastered version and, to be honest, I think that's the fault of silly articles that continually compare the Switch performance to the PS4 performance.

I think the Megadrive vs Super Nintendo console war has left behind a legacy of stupidity when it comes to people comparing consoles.

"It's not as powerful as PS4!" You don't say?

Look With the switch v ps4.

I view my ps4 pro as a home console noting more if i wont to play a game upskalled to 4K and HDR at home and no where else i used my PS4.

But my switch I view that as a replacement to my 3DS and Vita. ITs a handheld games console that you can plug into your TV. Give my 1st party games and ports of indie games and a few 3rd party games i be delighted as i can play fantastic games on the move. Skyram i don't care if its the remastered version as long as it plays good we have a good game.

Anyone who i have showed the switch to loves the thing as they cant get over the fact you can use it as a handheld and a home game console.

I have a felling this is what we might see on the PS5 is something like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think a Switch version of the next CoD would be great, and I think the multiplayer possibilities are tantalising tbh.
    The WiiU versions of Ghosts and Blops2 were just grand for what they were.
    More choice equals an easier time recommending the Switch to non-Nintendo fans, for those who aren't interested in Link or Mario, but who are looking for a neat bit of tech that will give them more play options on the software they want to play, like CoD, Battlefield, a track day racing sim or similar.
    And I don't think anyone not a engaged in a schoolyard p1ssing contest wouldn't want to see Nintendo succeed and appeal to as broad a swathe of gamers as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

Look With the switch v ps4.

I view my ps4 pro as a home console noting more if i wont to play a game upskalled to 4K and HDR at home and no where else i used my PS4.

But my switch I view that as a replacement to my 3DS and Vita. ITs a handheld games console that you can plug into your TV. Give my 1st party games and ports of indie games and a few 3rd party games i be delighted as i can play fantastic games on the move. Skyram i don't care if its the remastered version as long as it plays good we have a good game.

Anyone who i have showed the switch to loves the thing as they cant get over the fact you can use it as a handheld and a home game console.

I have a felling this is what we might see on the PS5 is something like this.

Yup. Same here.

For the longest time my only console was the original Nintendo DS and while I would look at the likes of PS3 thinking I'd quite like one of those too I didn't have the opportunity for a home console. I certainly wasn't looking at the newest PS3 releases and wondering hopefully if there would be a DS version.

Without this becoming a dreaded conversation about "games journalism" I think the mainstream coverage of the Switch is pretty poor especially regarding this annoying constant "comparison" to PS4 or the constant speculation about AAA releases also coming to Switch.

I think it's just tiresome to have people saying "COD won't be on Switch and that's pretty bad for Nintendo". Why would anyone expect that the newest COD would be coming to Switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

geotrig wrote: »
    so at least 20k sealed copies being kept as investments !

Get two. I'm not sharing with Caitlin.

304253.jpg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think a Switch version of the next CoD would be great, and I think the multiplayer possibilities are tantalising tbh.
    The WiiU versions of Ghosts and Blops2 were just grand for what they were.
    More choice equals an easier time recommending the Switch to non-Nintendo fans, for those who aren't interested in Link or Mario, but who are looking for a neat bit of tech that will give them more play options on the software they want to play, like CoD, Battlefield, a track day racing sim or similar.
    And I don't think anyone not a engaged in a schoolyard p1ssing contest wouldn't want to see Nintendo succeed and appeal to as broad a swathe of gamers as possible.

I do think that Nintendo did drop the ball a little on the new games for Switch in the first few months after launch.

They must surely know which of their franchises are in high demand and I think they should have replaced Mario Kart 8 and ARMs with games that would have a bit more hype.

My worry is that ARMs and Splatoon 2 have been rushed through development because they need to have something to fill up the gaps leading to Mario Odyssey at the end of the year.

I think a June Metroid and an August/September F-ZERO would have really made a significant impact.

I'm wondering if maybe there was a point where they realized just how good Breath of the Wild was and they decided to rush the Switch release so they could have their best ever Zelda come out at the same time as their brand new console?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is there anyone on this thread who actually thinks a Switch version of CoD would actually be worthwhile?
    <raises hand>
    Not that I personally want to play it, but I'm tired of choosing Nintendo being synonymous with choosing to opt-out of mainstream multiplatform gaming.

Shadow of War, for example, would have been awesome.
    I don't see it as a negative at all. Any version of any major multi-platform AAA release will be inferior on Switch and will be compared endlessly.
    I am happy enough for them to keep releasing indie games and Nintendo exclusives. Not really interested in playing an inferior version of COD. (not interested in playing any COD ever but that's another story)

See, there's where we differ. I don't own a PS4, an XBox, a high-end PC. I would prefer to play Shadow of War than not, and I'm not going to notice if the lighting models are a little more basic or the resolution is lower. The only negative to having it look worse than PS4 is that all of you slutty promiscuous console owners are going to pick the shiniest looking version for whichever of the plethora of playboxes under your telly can run. That would hurt Switch sales, impacting the possibility of future releases.

So no, I am NOT happy to stick to indies and 1st party titles. And I blame all of you :D

People are going to be SO disappointed when they realize that the Switch version of Skyrim will be the original game and not the remastered version and, to be honest, I think that's the fault of silly articles that continually compare the Switch performance to the PS4 performance.
    Disappointment is justified within reason. This is a 5 or 6 year old game. Is that the best the Switch can do? Shouldn't the Switch version be picking and choosing from the aspects of the Remaster that are within it's capability to implement? I mean, if all they're doing is porting a 6 year old game straight, what's the point? Anyone who wants to play it has played it by now.

(Except me)

And when they *do* release it and it becomes clear that Bethesda made **** all effort with it and people don't buy it because there really isn't any compelling reason to unless you've spent the last 6 years thinking "This is great but I really wish I was sitting on a Bus right now", are we going to blame the media for their ridiculous PS4 vs Switch articles? Or Switch owners for not buying a perfectly serviceable port of an antiquated game? Or, perhaps, the developer for not seeing Switch owners as anything more than a modest pile of money that is undeserving of any respect?
    I think the Megadrive vs Super Nintendo console war has left behind a legacy of stupidity when it comes to people comparing consoles.
    Yes and no. It's healthy to have a certain degree of dick-measuring, it benefits the audience. If it goes too far, you get a PS4-Pro vs Scorpio situation where it's an arms race for the sake of having arms. If you opt out all together you find yourself sitting on a bus playing a 6 year old game because it's more important to keep the launch costs down than to have a platform 3rd parties want to develop full-effort titles for. But somewhere in the middle, where you get the right balance of innovation, hardware grunt and marketing, you get the PS1 and PS2, the N64 and Gamecube, the Amiga and the sound chip on the Atari ST (which, unfortunately, was inside an Atari ST).

I believe the real problem here is a more general issue with news media, the constant over-reliance on superlatives and alarm to generate interest, and using that interest to generate revenue, and how that devalues any story that is not hyperbolic in the extreme. This is not unique to the gaming industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I do think that Nintendo did drop the ball a little on the new games for Switch in the first few months after launch.

They must surely know which of their franchises are in high demand and I think they should have replaced Mario Kart 8 and ARMs with games that would have a bit more hype.

My worry is that ARMs and Splatoon 2 have been rushed through development because they need to have something to fill up the gaps leading to Mario Odyssey at the end of the year.

I think a June Metroid and an August/September F-ZERO would have really made a significant impact.

I'm wondering if maybe there was a point where they realized just how good Breath of the Wild was and they decided to rush the Switch release so they could have their best ever Zelda come out at the same time as their brand new console?

Mario Kart will a big success on Switch I'd be willing to bet. I think they played their hand cleverly with the release schedule. They banked a lot of the launch on Zelda and the figures show it was a runaway success, now just out of the launch period they have one of the best racers ever which doubles as the best handheld racer ever. I think it'll do pretty big numbers for sure. Then Splatoon, Minecraft, FIFA, Xenoblade, Mario Odyssey and Skyrim throughout the rest of the year, not to mention stuff like Sonic Mania, NBA Playgrounds (May) and all the indie stuff, some of it excellent. This isn't even including anything that will be announced at E3.

Stuff like F-Zero and Metroid would be amazing but with main franchises like Zelda, Mario, Splatoon and Mario Kart out year 1, I think if they do have plans for those, end of year 1 or year 2 would be better options. Also with the insane numbers for Pokemon announced yesterday, a game on the Switch would be a guaranteed system seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭geotrig

Banjo wrote: »
    <raises hand>
    Not that I personally want to play it, but I'm tired of choosing Nintendo being synonymous with choosing to opt-out of mainstream multiplatform gaming.

See, there's where we differ. I don't own a PS4, an XBox, a high-end PC. I would prefer to play Shadow of War than not, and I'm not going to notice if the lighting models are a little more basic or the resolution is lower. The only negative to having it look worse than PS4 is that all of you slutty promiscuous console owners are going to pick the shiniest looking version for whichever of the plethora of playboxes under your telly can run. That would hurt Switch sales, impacting the possibility of future releases.

So no, I am NOT happy to stick to indies and 1st party titles. And I blame all of you :D

Disappointment is justified within reason. This is a 5 or 6 year old game. Is that the best the Switch can do? Shouldn't the Switch version be picking and choosing from the aspects of the Remaster that are within it's capability to implement? I mean, if all they're doing is porting a 6 year old game straight, what's the point? Anyone who wants to play it has played it by now.

(Except me)

And when they *do* release it and it becomes clear that Bethesda made **** all effort with it and people don't buy it because there really isn't any compelling reason to unless you've spent the last 6 years thinking "This is great but I really wish I was sitting on a Bus right now", are we going to blame the media for their ridiculous PS4 vs Switch articles? Or Switch owners for not buying a perfectly serviceable port of an antiquated game? Or, perhaps, the developer for not seeing Switch owners as anything more than a modest pile of money that is undeserving of any respect?

Yes and no. It's healthy to have a certain degree of dick-measuring, it benefits the audience. If it goes too far, you get a PS4-Pro vs Scorpio situation where it's an arms race for the sake of having arms. If you opt out all together you find yourself sitting on a bus playing a 6 year old game because it's more important to keep the launch costs down than to have a platform 3rd parties want to develop full-effort titles for. But somewhere in the middle, where you get the right balance of innovation, hardware grunt and marketing, you get the PS1 and PS2, the N64 and Gamecube, the Amiga and the sound chip on the Atari ST (which, unfortunately, was inside an Atari ST).

I believe the real problem here is a more general issue with news media, the constant over-reliance on superlatives and alarm to generate interest, and using that interest to generate revenue, and how that devalues any story that is not hyperbolic in the extreme. This is not unique to the gaming industry.

I think nintendo by their own admitting dropped out of the console wars after the GC or somewhere along there , They as far as i can remember from reading quiet a while back set their focus on other areas of gameing rather than being bigger ,better ,baders etc what i read FELT we were in or getting close to a diminishing returns scenario. Similar to what is "supposed " to happen to transistors at some point.
    The thing is they need some good proper 3rd party aaa titles ,these studios just seem to for whatever reason not want to put effort into porting or rejigging games to fit on different systems :mad: some of these games i would get on the switch over the xbone , but im not graphically obsessed ! i would like the options though even if ive never ever bough a cod game ,ive never played skyrim and havent a huge interest but i might get it if its not laggy !

Banjo wrote: »
    <raises hand>

You've got me there!

It seems my issue is more with how it's reported than actually saying I don't want to see the AAA games on Switch.

Yes, I want Shadow of War on Switch. No, I do not want to listen to people constantly prattling on about how it doesn't looks as good as the PS Scorpro Box version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Weirdly I would be more OK with a Switch version of COD that was compromised graphically, than I am with the fact that it won't look as good on my launch model PS4 compared to a PS4 Pro.

• Advertisement

Just saw earlier that Genyo Takeda is retiring from Nintendo after 45 years.

He was the director/writer of StarTropics 1 and 2 and also the creator of Punch-Out, among being involved with many other games. He also was the creator of the battery back up save for Zelda 1 on the NES and the creator of the N64 analogue controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Weirdly I would be more OK with a Switch version of COD that was compromised graphically, than I am with the fact that it won't look as good on my launch model PS4 compared to a PS4 Pro.

You say that but remember the mess that Dead Rising was on the Wii compared to its competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

very much looking forward to NBA Playgrounds, €20 seems very reasonable...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

very much looking forward to NBA Playgrounds, €20 seems very reasonable...

It looks good but the lack of fanfare/previews is worrying, so I think I'll wait on reviews for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo CEO: There Are More Unannounced Switch Titles That Will Boost The Console's Sales

http://wccftech.com/nintendo-unnanounced-switch-titles-consoles-sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

fixxxer wrote: »
    You say that but remember the mess that Dead Rising was on the Wii compared to its competitors.

the level of drop between wii vs ps3\xbox 360 and switch vs ps4\xbone are no where near as dramatic. also for true comparison purposes the wii versions of the original black ops and world at war were pretty good ports with care put in rather than poor attempts like dead rising showing that if a company actually gives it to a good enough team to develop they can be done very well.

regardless anyway i'd be happier with a well done standalone game in the series built specifically for the switch rather than a port i can get on pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Hope MK8D is out midnight on the eshop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Hope MK8D is out midnight on the eshop :)

It will, it's out on the Japanese eshop already if anyone wants to get it from there or amazon japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

So, 2.74 million consoles sold up to April 1st, probably 3.5 million or more by now. Good start, Iwata would have been proud of his last project. The prediction of 10 million this year seems a bit conservative since some analysts have predicted higher, and demand looks like its holding strong in America. Very encouraging to hear that there are more unannounced titles to come, E3 in what, 7 weeks?
    Won't be buying MK8 myself, €60 is too much for a game I own on Wii U. But a must-have for anyone who doesn't already have it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Paid 32 for a $35 eShop card. Got Puyo Puyo Tetris and Kamiko for that. About 30% cheaper than our store.

• Advertisement

As expected, Nintendo announced during their financials that they won't be hosting a traditional stage show at E3. No one surprised really and Directs have been a great innovation to get information across.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

€63 for Mario Kart in Argos, off to smyths I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Capcom Teases “Major” Unannounced Game; Focus on Multiplatform Development Including Nintendo Switch

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/04/28/capcom-teases-major-unannounced-game-focus-multiplatform-development-including-nintendo-switch/

We all most likely know what it is. Monster Hunter.

Power Stone remix ftw. I'm old school nostalgic for capcom.

All seriousness it better be Tatsunoku vs Capcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Played 4 player snipperclips lastnight for the first time, it's surprisingly great after a few beers.

Hopefully they add more modes in future updates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Power Stone remix ftw. I'm old school nostalgic for capcom.

All seriousness it better be Tatsunoku vs Capcom.

My heart wants an updated Capcom vs SNK 2 oh foolish hopes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ghibli Vs Capcom maybe?
    I prefer Ghibli over Tatsunoko, but there are fewer fighters in the formers features....

But the sight of Ryu being pummeled into submission by special move involving raccoon testicles would be awesome!

US voices required if its Ghibli although Phil Hartman can't do the cat from Kiki so that would bumm me out big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Some sort of whimsical Ghibli head-to-head game that wasn't entirely combat but wasn't entirely combatless would be great, actually. The kind of thing Kirby might be happy to be in but Ryu would be ashamed of. Not sure how you'd pull it off so it's competitive but not too violent or gory, at least until San rides in on Moro and they start tearing **** up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mario Kart (physical + wheels), Puyo Puyo Tetris and Kamiko. That's tonight sorted. :)

No more Switch purchases in May. Unless Tumbleseed is good. Or Shakedown Miami. Or Minecraft Switch. Or any other number of unannounced indies.

Damn it.

Advertisement