Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I didn't get much time with MK8Dx or any games yesterday, just a quick 100cc cup and it was a blast.
    The visuals look simply sublime and wouldn't look out of place on any current gen system, quite a feat for a game that is a couple of years old now.

The attach rate for most console owners is relatively low, most consoles seem to wind up with ratios of 4 to 6 games per system, that's software owned.
    At this early stage in the Switch's lifetime we have two must have games for owners already, smooth sailing ahead I hope!
    I'm really hoping Skyrim comes in at a good price and without content compromise, that's probably the one I'm waiting for, to be able to play it on the go, lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

He says Miiverse kept proper discussion and exposure about Nintendo games and the Wii U isolated to people who already bought one. By killing Miiverse and moving screenshot uploads to more coventional social media outlets like Twitter and Facebook, they give Switch games the kind of exposure that Miiverse would never give them.

Makes sense to me. I am being the arsehole that uploads switch game screenshots to social media though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Like CiDeRmAn said, not on at all lads. Knock it off immediately please. This kind of rubbish is not on. There have been warnings about this kind of thing before, and they've been ignored, so next person to start attacking another poster will be taking a break from the forum. And if someone else starts getting abusive, don't argue back and make things worse, just report the post and let us deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Traded in bullitstrom on the Ps4 and the girl said to me I can sell you fifa 15 for 3 euros and give you 10 for it I was like OK no problem so ended up getting 50 euros towards spatoon 2 in gamestop can't go wrong with that for a game I got for free ha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Where is the best value place to buy US Nintendo credit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I had been using Play Asia, but I tried pcgamesupply.com during the week and it was a few quid cheaper...

Interesting article about a guy bringing his Switch to a bar.
    Karen never turned up, f*ck you Karen

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/04/29/i-took-my-nintendo-switch-to-a-bar-and-iwas-surprised-by-what-happened/#4dd04e9a31f2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Rumor: More Details Surface on Mario & Rabbids Game – Titled Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    • The game will feature eight playable characters which include Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi. The other 4 characters aren’t disclosed.
    • Each character will wield their own sci-fi weapon like laser guns, arm cannons etc.
    • Apparently the characters aren’t controlled directly but rather controlled through what is dubbed a Tuttorio which is a small floating dish which guides the characters through the world.
    • The game is also said to feature co-op multiplayer.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/rumor-more-details-surface-on-mario-rabbids-game-titled-mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle/

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Where is the best value place to buy US Nintendo credit?

Make sure you put in a tax free zip code when you purchase a game from the US eshop

• Advertisement

That sounds bad, unfortunately. Is there any really good rabbids games?

Ya that doesn't sound appealing but maybe it's better than it sounds and it is just a rumour. Rabbids Go Home on the Wii was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Which one of you guys mentioned buying your switch games from Canada? I have a question about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Which one of you guys mentioned buying your switch games from Canada? I have a question about it.

I've picked up one from Video game plus anyway.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I've picked up one from Video game plus anyway.

Can you claim the my nintendo points on your Irish account?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tried the other day, and couldn't, but it mentioned something about not being able to do it at that time, so because it was binding of isaac it might need to be released over here before that's available, but couldn't with my japanese copy of setsuna either I think - will double check again later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

The missus picked up an extra set of joycons(full set of red and blue now XD) & charging grip when we went to collect those copies of MK8 and I picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris for only €35 with a €10 off voucher in argos. We've been having a blast on Mario Kart and have barely touched Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Nintendo Switch has secured its first UK No.1 with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

In fact, it's the first Nintendo boxed game to get to No.1 since 2011, when the format holder topped the charts with Pokémon White on DS. It's also the first Mario game to reach the top of the charts since Mario Kart Wii in 2008.

Nintendo used the launch of its racer to ship more Switch stock to retailers, which has seen The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild return to the Top Five (at No.5) with a 68% increase in sales week-on-week.

Elsewhere, there's a number of new releases in the Top 40, with publishers using the quiet release window to debut niche and indie games at physical retail

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 debuts at No.2, with Bandai Namco's well reviewed new IP Little Nightmares debuting at No.4.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-04-30-mario-kart-8-deluxe-is-nintendos-first-uk-no-1-since-2011

If Pokemon Sun/Moon had counted as one game, that would have done it instead, but still, good job Switch game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Koei Tecmo working on some Switch exclusives other than Fire Emblem Warriors according to their chairman at financial results briefing. May mean another Hyrule Warriors in the future perhaps.

They also have Ninja Gaiden and Fatal Frame. Nioh as well, although that was an engine built from the ground up I think so would need lot of work to bring it to Switch, but would be a great title if it was possible.

See that's both good and sad about MK8 Deluxe. We never get numbers so we've no idea how much it sold in the UK. Zelda deserved a no.1 spot more than MK8D, as it was an original release but it was never going to beat Horizon Zero Dawn. What did MK8D have to beat? It's a bank holiday so were there any other big releases? It's possible that Zelda: BOTW sold more than MK8D in their corresponding initial release weeks but we'll probably never know. Like Japan, so often a game can get top spot some weeks with less than 50,000 copies sold while in other weeks, a game that sells 500,000 plus only reaches number 2.

Edit: Just read the rest, it didn't have anything to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

sligeach wrote: »
    Zelda deserved a no.1 spot more than MK8D, as it was an original release...

No it wasn't, it was a Wii U port! I'm sure I read that here somewhere :D

This isn't unique to gaming by a long stretch though, it's any form of popular media - we're constantly hearing about movies smashing box-office records but it's very seldom that anyone measures tickets sold/bums on seats vs actual money taken at the ticket office, which is ridiculous considering seats are priced these days like they're 15 minutes of voice over work from Orson Welles.

There's every chance Ninty chose this weekend knowing they had no competition and a guaranteed number one, not to mention that 2 months is the perfect amount of time to either be finished Zelda or decide you need a break.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Banjo;103379614]No it wasn't, it was a Wii U port! I'm sure I read that here somewhere :D

This isn't unique to gaming by a long stretch though, it's any form of popular media - we're constantly hearing about movies smashing box-office records but it's very seldom that anyone measures tickets sold/bums on seats vs actual money taken at the ticket office, which is ridiculous considering seats are priced these days like they're 15 minutes of voice over work from Orson Welles.

There's every chance Ninty chose this weekend knowing they had no competition and a guaranteed number one, not to mention that 2 months is the perfect amount of time to either be finished Zelda or decide you need a break.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that as a wrote it. :) But there is an All Formats chart as well. Let's see how its sales compare to the original and if it can eventually surpass it.

"Shortly after the game's launch in the United Kingdom, it was announced that week-on-week Wii U console sales had risen 662% in the country, with Mario Kart 8 bundles accounting for 82% of the units sold.[37] In its first four days on sale, 1.2 million copies were sold worldwide, making it a commercial success, and becoming the fastest selling Wii U game to date.[38] Within a month of the game's release, 2.82 million were sold as of June 30, 2014.[39] More than 1 million copies of Mario Kart 8 were sold in the United States as of August 14, 2014,[40] and over 2 million copies had been sold by the end of June 2015.[41] Worldwide, 3.49 million copies have been sold as of September 30, 2014.[42] As of December 31, 2016, the game has sold 8.26 million copies worldwide,[43][44] making it the best selling Wii U title at the time."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_8

Edit: Correction, it's sold 8.31 million copies.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wiiu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Whatever way some people want to play it down, Nintendo haven't had a Mario game in Number 1 since 2008. Now they have....with a port......on a brand new console, it can only be good news. There's been plenty of Mario games in between that haven't got no.1, with varying degrees of competition during those times. It's going to keep selling well too I imagine throughout the year and with summer sale period and the holidays still ahead, it could do major numbers this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

mayordenis wrote: »

Tried the other day, and couldn't, but it mentioned something about not being able to do it at that time, so because it was binding of isaac it might need to be released over here before that's available, but couldn't with my japanese copy of setsuna either I think - will double check again later though.

I believe you have change your account to the region the game was released to get the points

That cheap as chips outdoor basketball game coming to the Switch in the coming days, if they could make a decent soccer equivalent and promote it right it could be a great seller, and with the opportunities to link systems, very very popular.
    Could be easier to market a new game than the last gen port of Fifa that they appear to have on the way.
    Any reason why it's taking so long?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That cheap as chips outdoor basketball game coming to the Switch in the coming days, if they could make a decent soccer equivalent and promote it right it could be a great seller, and with the opportunities to link systems, very very popular.
    Could be easier to market a new game than the last gen port of Fifa that they appear to have on the way.
    Any reason why it's taking so long?

FIFA games normally release around the end of September. They could have released one at launch had they really wanted to but this buys them some time so hopefully it's not gimped. I have my doubts though. The Wii U version was late and gimped. Then was never to be seen again.

Wasn't FIFA 13 or whatever a launch game with the U though? That was november odd, if they put the effort in I'm sure a goddamn port could have been out for launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Releasing it along side the "main" releases for PS4, XBO and PC is only going to hurt a Switch release though, highlighting any and all of it's shortcomings and compromises. And if it releases after the main ones it's worse. At least if it comes out now, there's not a huge amount of competition for shelf space or userbase. Waiting for September does them no favours. If they don't have anything special up their sleeves for the Switch, if this is going to be like Fifa 13 Wii U (i.e. 0 effort, minimal costs so they can shrug and say "we tried but there's no appetite in the market for a Nintendo FIFA game" and not bother with further releases) then the sooner they get it out of the way the better for all concerned.

Wasn't FIFA 13 or whatever a launch game with the U though? That was november odd, if they put the effort in I'm sure a goddamn port could have been out for launch.

It was but the other platforms got it 2 months earlier. And we got an older inferior version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They need to make sure the local multiplayer using the joy cons is very fun. If you have been playing 14-17 on your PS4 or One with mates your unlikely going to all change systems.
    It has to offer something different. A seperate in game 5 a side or indoor mode would be cool. I don't see online or Ultimate Team being as big a deal on the Switch as they were elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Releasing it along side the "main" releases for PS4, XBO and PC is only going to hurt a Switch release though, highlighting any and all of it's shortcomings and compromises. And if it releases after the main ones it's worse. At least if it comes out now, there's not a huge amount of competition for shelf space or userbase. Waiting for September does them no favours. If they don't have anything special up their sleeves for the Switch, if this is going to be like Fifa 13 Wii U (i.e. 0 effort, minimal costs so they can shrug and say "we tried but there's no appetite in the market for a Nintendo FIFA game" and not bother with further releases) then the sooner they get it out of the way the better for all concerned.

That's something Nintendo will need to get used to going forward. If they want some third party games for once.

Advertisement