Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think getting a good FIFA is a lot more important than it having to be the exact same one as the PS4/Xbox. Because of obvious reasons it's not going to be the same, but it being a good game is far more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

These are the sales figures for Mario Kart Wii.

First Week sales: 186,000
    First Month sales (April 2008): 386,000
    LTD sales by December 2008: 1.71 million
    LTD sales by December 2009: 2.57 million
    Lifetime sales: ~4 million

Mario Kart Wii is the fastest selling Mario game of all time in the UK and I'm not sure if it's the biggest selling Mario game, I think the NES Mario has more sales.

This guy says that Deluxe outsold the Wii U version and 7 but not the Wii game.

Don't know who he is but he's talking to Tom Philips of Eurogamer. He seems to think the Wii game sold 206,000 units. Anyway, the game's doing well.

Edit: The Wii U version sold 80,000 in its first week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    That's something Nintendo will need to get used to going forward. If they want some third party games for once.

That's the thing, they *don't*. Assuming EA actually had something special, a la Pro Evo 08 on the Wii, something that doesn't compete with the PS/XB version because it's different, but on its own merits is great and wouldn't work on those other platforms, then that can stand on it's own two feet. But it needs to find it's feet first, and that won't happen if you release them all at the same time because you'll just polarise people.

They have an opportunity to get ahead of all that get the Switch offering out there. Forget FIFA 18, get your baseline Switch model onto the market now - let people marvel over how much of the traditional experience you've crammed in, the 2 player table-top and full 10v10 (no one is going to want to be in goals!) competition-grade LAN mode, the career modes and big head arcade 5-aside, etc etc - and start looking ahead to FIFA 19 for the Switch dev team.

But they won't. We'll get a PS3 game come November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Banjo wrote: »
    That's the thing, they *don't*. Assuming EA actually had something special, a la Pro Evo 08 on the Wii, something that doesn't compete with the PS/XB version because it's different, but on its own merits is great and wouldn't work on those other platforms, then that can stand on it's own two feet. But it needs to find it's feet first, and that won't happen if you release them all at the same time because you'll just polarise people.

They have an opportunity to get ahead of all that get the Switch offering out there. Forget FIFA 18, get your baseline Switch model onto the market now - let people marvel over how much of the traditional experience you've crammed in, the 2 player table-top and full 10v10 (no one is going to want to be in goals!) competition-grade LAN mode, the career modes and big head arcade 5-aside, etc etc - and start looking ahead to FIFA 19 for the Switch dev team.

But they won't. We'll get a PS3 game come November.

I personally want third party games to be similar between Nintendo consoles and it's competitors. I always have. There's always some excuse though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    These are the sales figures for Mario Kart Wii.

First Week sales: 186,000
    First Month sales (April 2008): 386,000
    LTD sales by December 2008: 1.71 million
    LTD sales by December 2009: 2.57 million Lifetime sales: ~4 million

I suppose we should keep in mind, as with Zelda BotW, that despite how incredibly good MK8Dx is, it's unlikely to be the Nintendo Switch iteration of the franchise, seeing as most formats only get one.
    So, by 2009, we should be getting teases of Mario Kart 9, considering by then we should have official confirmation of the convergence of both handheld and home markets in the Switch, despite what Nintendo are saying here in 2017.
    No reason not to think this, as well as the inferred Switch exclusive Zelda game, building on the marvelous engine it already has, but with more Switch features.

As for Fifa, nothing to be afraid of releasing it in parallel with the other current gen formats, seeing as the Switch brings to bear features that the PS4/Xbox1 and PC can't, such as portability, on the go LAN hookups and so on.
    Once the visuals flow well without stutter and the controls are tight, the game could be a hit, certainly if there's any type of game that should rely more on gameplay than visuals it should be soccer games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Switch in the sun, no more ghost like gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

wtlltw wrote: »

True,
    They'll be all like this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU4DhTVId5pK4_Wk-qok_RoetNDNU5wBWP5xEjboTfHGvI7MMF

Or like this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQydJ62CunXsxkwUfENBbb7oQWn8Q4SY8bqKpkX1WwK4sq8aaSF

Or maybe like this

blinded_9901.jpg

REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– With more than 459,000 combined packaged and digital sales in the U.S. on launch day alone (April 28), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Nintendo Switch system is the fastest-selling game in the long-running Mario Kart series. The previous record holder for the highest first-day sales in the franchise was Mario Kart Wii, with U.S. sales of approximately 433,900 when it launched in 2008. The solid sales numbers for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe equate to an attach rate of 45 percent – meaning nearly one in two Nintendo Switch owners in the U.S. purchased a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the first day it was available. To date, more than 2.7 million Nintendo Switch systems have been sold globally.

The solid sales numbers for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe equate to an attach rate of 45 percent – meaning nearly one in two Nintendo Switch owners in the U.S. purchased a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the first day it was available. (Graphic: Business Wire)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has also received more perfect review scores than any other Mario Kart game ever. With a current Metacritic score of 93, the critically acclaimed title is the highest-rated game in the series in 15 years – tying the overall review score of Mario Kart: Super Circuit for Game Boy Advance.

To continue this strong momentum into the summer, a series of great games will launch for Nintendo Switch over the next few months, including Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (May 11), Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (May 26), ARMS (June 16) and Splatoon 2 (July 21).

Source: Nintendo PR

• wtlltw wrote: »

I tried it, couldn't see the screen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sun? real gamers dont need sun git gud scrubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

wexdevil wrote: »
    The missus picked up an extra set of joycons(full set of red and blue now XD) & charging grip when we went to collect those copies of MK8 and I picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris for only €35 with a €10 off voucher in argos. We've been having a blast on Mario Kart and have barely touched Puyo Puyo Tetris.

got the demo of puyo puyo tetris and have really enjoyed it. will likely pick up the main game at some point but not sure if i'd pay full price for it
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That cheap as chips outdoor basketball game coming to the Switch in the coming days, if they could make a decent soccer equivalent and promote it right it could be a great seller, and with the opportunities to link systems, very very popular.
    Could be easier to market a new game than the last gen port of Fifa that they appear to have on the way.
    Any reason why it's taking so long?

an arcade-y nba jam style 3 or 4 aside soccer game but with a kinda sim style engine would be great. actually would love another NHL Hitz game. had 1 on the gamecube and loved playing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris from the US eshop last week and played a huge amount over the weekend.

Mainly just playing versus mode against my wife (who is obsessed with the game) but tried a bit of the other modes too and seems to be a fair amount of depth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah it's a brilliant game. Delighted that I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah it's a brilliant game. Delighted that I got it.

The story line voices make me want to fill my ears with cement though. Good thing the gameplay is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Waiting for puyo puyo to drop in Argos. Usually about 2 weeks. I hope it does. Really want it but 30 odd squids would be my limit

Danonino. wrote: »
    Waiting for puyo puyo to drop in Argos. Usually about 2 weeks. I hope it does. Really want it but 30 odd squids would be my limit

I'm the same.
    Seeing as it is in Argos for €26.99 on the PS4, it seems a tad unfair to look for €44.99 for the Switch version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Danonino. wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath seeing as they are looking for 62.99 for Mario kart and it's 55 in Smyths....

Q&A with Nintendo President Kimishima.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170502e.pdf

• Advertisement

Source: The Rumored Mario x Rabbids RPG Is Real, Coming To Switch

http://kotaku.com/source-the-rumored-mario-x-rabbids-rpg-is-real-coming-1794849712

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath seeing as they are looking for 62.99 for Mario kart and it's 55 in Smyths....

Started Paper Mario colour splash to tide me over while I wait for it to drop. Speaking of colour splash, the music and sense of humour is fantastic in it but the card mechanic makes me want a "proper" paper mario on the switch even more now. It's unlikely, but it would be great if we did get a new proper entry. Maybe by 2019, who knows.

I know we have Mario odyssey coming this year but Paper Mario have a charm to them, and a way to make you laugh with witty nonsense. I'd even take a remaster of any of the games bar sticker star on the switch.... man sticker star was the worst :'(

Mario Kart is great and very very smooth. The double weapons make it a damn clusterfu** in the middle of the pack though. It really has changed the game a lot. Feels like a more natural rubber banding though. Will be interesting to see how it develops, at the moment if you manage to get up front in 3rd-1st you can hang a bannana out back and stay relatively clean, while anyone in 4th and under are dealing with utter bullet bill, red shell, super star madness ha ha.

Tumbleseed is gorgeous, I had a go of it last night and I'm well impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Arms is the cover story in this month's Edge magazine. They seem to have had a significant hands-on and they could scarcely be more positive. "An absolute delight" is how they described it.

People have mixed feelings about their scoring system but typically when they're this excited about a game it's worth paying attention.

They said it's best played standing up with a joycon in hand but, crucially, it can be played normally as well. That's important for me as the Switch is now my handheld of choice for my commute and I'm not sure how Irish Rail would feel about me shadow boxing on the 18:05 to Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Paleblood wrote: »
    Arms is the cover story in this month's Edge magazine. They seem to have had a significant hands-on and they could scarcely be more positive. "An absolute delight" is how they described it.

People have mixed feelings about their scoring system but typically when they're this excited about a game it's worth paying attention.

They said it's best played standing up with a joycon in hand but, crucially, it can be played normally as well. That's important for me as the Switch is now my handheld of choice for my commute and I'm not sure how Irish Rail would feel about me shadow boxing on the 18:05 to Kildare.

The only concern I have with Arms is that it will require another set of joycons for local play. They're not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, agreed.

Is Arms going to cost me about €150 to get best use out of it?

(I'm still not convinced about it, but if reviews are great...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think it looks great but a little wary of how well the motion actually works, I got an extra pair of joycons when that Snipperclips bundle was on offer. Will give Edge a read later cuz that sounds promising.

(If you didn't know about this, free legal digital magazines inc Edge here)

maximoose wrote: »
    I think it looks great but a little wary of how well the motion actually works, I got an extra pair of joycons when that Snipperclips bundle was on offer. Will give Edge a read later cuz that sounds promising.

(If you didn't know about this, free legal digital magazines inc Edge here)

Ohhh will have to check if Games TM is there later. Always liked that magazine, any time they have been controversial in reviews I've agreed with them ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Whats everyone's view on the Pro Controller? Have many of you got it? Not sure whether to get another set of joycons or the pro controller...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Tumbleseed is gorgeous, I had a go of it last night and I'm well impressed.

Tumbleseed is a great game! Gets a recommendation from me too.

It's really quite challenging. Soundtrack is great. If you like Boards of Canada then you're gonna love this soundtrack.

I have a great, diverse, roster of games on my Switch now.

Advertisement