Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

Whats everyone's view on the Pro Controller? Have many of you got it? Not sure whether to get another set of joycons or the pro controller...

I'd recommend it if you are playing on the TV a lot. The battery life on the pro controller is great. The buttons are nice and big and it feels quite solid and comfortable in your hands.

One issue I have had is that if I flick the sticks up too fast then they seem to "bounce" back into the down position. Not sure if that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    I'd recommend it if you are playing on the TV a lot. The battery life on the pro controller is great. The buttons are nice and big and it feels quite solid and comfortable in your hands.

One issue I have had is that if I flick the sticks up too fast then they seem to "bounce" back into the down position. Not sure if that's just me.

I agree it's a great controller, but the D Pad is terrible, it's mushy and has issues reading the input. Might be a bad batch but it's been reported a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think only problem I had with the Pro controller was my own fault really. The number of screenshots I have when I meant to press '-'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Whats everyone's view on the Pro Controller? Have many of you got it? Not sure whether to get another set of joycons or the pro controller...

100 times better than the joy cons, it also has around 45 hours battery life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah, agreed.

Is Arms going to cost me about €150 to get best use out of it?

(I'm still not convinced about it, but if reviews are great...)

Street Fighter 2 is out in a few weeks and to get the 'best use' out of that you'll need a Pro Controller (two for local play) as the Joycons just aren't suited to it.

I suspect we're going to see a string of games that are only just 'playable' with the Joycons. And of course you have motion control games like Arms. That game will probably offer a lesser experience if you use the Joycons like a regular controller, and even lesser again if you use two single Joycons for local play.

It's an odd situation and it will be interesting to see how future games deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've only used my a handful of times, and I have no distinct memories of the controller itself which I take to be a good thing - you only tend to notice when the buttons don't work or something feels awkward or uncomfortable. The nicest thing I can say about it is that when I'm using it I don't know I'm using it. But Link moves around all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

When used with the grip I find the Joycons as easy to use as the pro. For myself I find it handier to leave the joycons on the Switch so they are charged when I go mobile and use the pro on the sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Haven't switched yet. Wussed out at last minute. But now I've seen it in action thinking of getting a switch with Zelda this week. Since i will probably be using it exclusively in handheld mode wondering what external battery to get. GameStop are pushing the zaag 12000mah ones which charge at 2.2amp. Not sure if they come with a USB to USB C cable. Anyone buy this battery.

Also what's the verdict on protective cases. Official or Hori? Is glass screen protector essential ?

GameStop guy said its back to Nintendo for any dead/stuck pixels. How prevalent is this as you only ever hear feedback from unhappy punters

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Mario Kart has boosted sales in Japan this week, 74,217 Switches found new homes. The game itself sold over 280,000 copies. Good news :)

https://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/
    (Use some translating software)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ya was looking at that earlier. It's a nice boost, some had predicted 100,000+ sales. That wasn't really feasible. It may quiten now until Splatoon 2 before rising again.

• Advertisement

Flaccus wrote: »
    GameStop are pushing the zaag 12000mah ones which charge at 2.2amp. Not sure if they come with a USB to USB C cable. Anyone buy this battery.

Also what's the verdict on protective cases. Official or Hori? Is glass screen protector essential ?

GameStop guy said its back to Nintendo for any dead/stuck pixels. How prevalent is this as you only ever hear feedback from unhappy punters

Thanks

Can't comment on the external battery, since you'll use it portable mostly then you should go for some kind of screen protector. The case Smyth's have for €20 includes a screen protector, and the case itself is fine it seems. I went for one out of Argos which was a waste of money but I like the design. I haven't had any issues with dead pixels, I'd say it's a very small number affected to be honest, and can happen to any device, it's not a Nintendo only thing. I bought a DS years ago, again in Argos, had a dead pixel near the middle of the screen, took it back and they exchanged it on the spot.
    sligeach wrote: »
    Ya was looking at that earlier. It's a nice boost, some had predicted 100,000+ sales. That wasn't really feasible. It may quiten now until Splatoon 2 before rising again.

100,000 would have been really impressive, I wonder if availability restricted the number in any way. Next week's numbers would be a good indicator of that. In any case, so far so good. I'd agree it will probably drop off quite a bit until Splatoon lands

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Switch is killing it so far, isn't it! Go Nintendo ye mad yokes.

Can't wait to pick up one during the summer. Zelda, Kart, Arms, Fighter, bomberman and Toon.
    Not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Had some weird issues with the dpad/left stick on my joycon in the grip this evening. Playing Puyo Puyo Tetris and randomly the controller would not recognise the directional input or would move way too fast.

Does this sound like a symptom of the issues that people had with the joycons at launch? This is really the first game I've used them with when docked as I've generally been using the Pro controller so may have been an issue all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Had some weird issues with the dpad/left stick on my joycon in the grip this evening. Playing Puyo Puyo Tetris and randomly the controller would not recognise the directional input or would move way too fast.

Does this sound like a symptom of the issues that people had with the joycons at launch? This is really the first game I've used them with when docked as I've generally been using the Pro controller so may have been an issue all along.

If you haven't yet, send off your joycon to nintendo. Every left joycon is affected, even if you don't notice it now, you might move your TV and console after a year or something. It's free. Takes about 2 weeks.

https://nintendoservicecentre.co.uk

Do it while you still have your warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Can't comment on the external battery, since you'll use it portable mostly then you should go for some kind of screen protector. The case Smyth's have for ?20 includes a screen protector, and the case itself is fine it seems. I went for one out of Argos which was a waste of money but I like the design. I haven't had any issues with dead pixels, I'd say it's a very small number affected to be honest, and can happen to any device, it's not a Nintendo only thing. I bought a DS years ago, again in Argos, had a dead pixel near the middle of the screen, took it back and they exchanged it on the spot.

100,000 would have been really impressive, I wonder if availability restricted the number in any way. Next week's numbers would be a good indicator of that. In any case, so far so good. I'd agree it will probably drop off quite a bit until Splatoon lands

I would say 100% go for the screen protector! At the weekend I noticed scratches on my screen in the black area where the fooking dock had scratched the Switch!!! Thankfully I've had a screen protector on it pretty much since day one! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Every left joycon is affected, even if you don't notice it now...

I think they called it a Manufacturing Deviation :) Which hopefully means that they're not all affected but I don't think there's a solid test you can do to confirm you're in the clear without opening the Joycon up, which would violate the warranty ironically.

Anyone any experience of Joycons bought separately failing, specifically the SnipperClips pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of Joycons bought separately failing, specifically the SnipperClips pack?

Yup. I bought the neon joycons separately, and have got the stickers back to send them off. Left neon joy-con seems to lose connection pretty frequently.

Strangely, don't have the same issue with the grey joycons that came with the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Got my joycons back from Nintendo this morning, they posted them out yesterday morning. About 9 working days all in all including a bank holiday which was quick enough.

They fixed my left joycon sync issue but not the rumble which is extremely loud and sounds like a baby's rattle. Nothing at all like the set a friend lent me. Gonna have to ring again and send them back.

They identified the fault as an 'Operating System problem' on the return letter in regards to the left joycon, and extended the warranty a further 12 months.

Edit: despatched on the 28th of April on the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Star Lord wrote: »
    Yup. I bought the neon joycons separately, and have got the stickers back to send them off. Left neon joy-con seems to lose connection pretty frequently.

Strangely, don't have the same issue with the grey joycons that came with the console.

I have the exact same issue, the grey ones that came with the console are fine but the neon joycons I bought separately are not. Initially they were fine for the first week but yesterday I noticed the left joycon lost connection quite frequently and was pretty much unusable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to say, I've had zero issues with my Switch controllers at all.
    Maybe I'm just lucky.
    I don't think everyone has had these problems though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have to say, I've had zero issues with my Switch controllers at all.
    Maybe I'm just lucky.
    I don't think everyone has had these problems though.

Yesterday was the first time I had any issues but I hadn't really used the joycons with the grip until then so it was just a case of me not noticing until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

While playing Zelda I definitely had issues with the left one when they were in the grip but not so bad they got annoying, only every now and again. Then I got Mario Kart last week and all seemed OK until I was steering to the left at times when I wanted to go the other way!? Might be time to send mine away.....but I don't have a second set or a pro controller so no playing Switch while they are away!!

I've had left joycon issues since day one, haven't bought a pro controller yet and not willing to stop playing for 2 weeks.
    It only disconnects if it loses line-of-sight to the dock, I'll live with that for now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I've had left joycon issues since day one, haven't bought a pro controller yet and not willing to stop playing for 2 weeks.
    It only disconnects if it loses line-of-sight to the dock, I'll live with that for now

same with me, picked up pro controller today so I'll get on the return process soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I've had the issue in Mario Kart where it sometimes turns me the opposite direction but I think that's the smart steering? It'll steer you onto the right path automatically. I've found it frustrating when it won't let me into a shortcut because I've turned a little too late but otherwise I find it great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I've had the issue in Mario Kart where it sometimes turns me the opposite direction but I think that's the smart steering? It'll steer you onto the right path automatically. I've found it frustrating when it won't let me into a shortcut because I've turned a little too late but otherwise I find it great

Turn off the smart steering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone gotten their hands on I am Setsuna? Any feedback on the Switch port?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No issues with mine but I mainly use it in handheld mode. Am trying to find the funds for Mario Kart but buying comics and pop vinyls the past week has killed my spare cash reserves. Damn Star Wars day cost me €40 on pops today alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

So got paid today and decision time. Everything i've seen of zelda, bomberman, shovelknight makes me want a switch. I'm jaded with ps4 and miss nintendo. The gamestop guy said a firmware update resolved the joycon disconnection issues but I will be 90% handheld anyway. Still worth getting if tv never gets a look in. Screen seems a little small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Flaccus wrote: »
    So got paid today and decision time. Everything i've seen of zelda, bomberman, shovelknight makes me want a switch. I'm jaded with ps4 and miss nintendo. The gamestop guy said a firmware update resolved the joycon disconnection issues but I will be 90% handheld anyway. Still worth getting if tv never gets a look in. Screen seems a little small.

It's definitely not when you have it in your hands. It's perfectly lovely.

Advertisement