Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Banjo wrote: »
    I think they called it a Manufacturing Deviation :) Which hopefully means that they're not all affected but I don't think there's a solid test you can do to confirm you're in the clear without opening the Joycon up, which would violate the warranty ironically.

Anyone any experience of Joycons bought separately failing, specifically the SnipperClips pack?

I asked them if my serial number could be verified, Nintendo said no you have to send it in to check.

If it was a deveation, they'd know serial numbers of the bad batches. It's a crock. All joycon L are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Got Tumbleseed lastnight, quite enjoying it! Took a little while to get used to the controls (I'm still not great at it) but once you get familiar it's good fun, love the style and music

Switch is my first Nintendo in a long time, maybe Xbox/PS have ruined me as a gamer because it is a very trivial thing I suppose, but I have been missing some sort of achievement/trophy system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I asked them if my serial number could be verified, Nintendo said no you have to send it in to check.

If it was a deveation, they'd know serial numbers of the bad batches. It's a crock. All joycon L are affected.

That's a joke, my Switch and Cons Nintendo have since the 16th

They are "awaiting parts" on my Switch (probably a new back cover) as my one had a crack near one of the screws

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

/\/ollog wrote: »

I don't think it's accurate to say all Left joycons are affected to be honest. It was a problem for some/a lot, but would have been a much bigger problem if it had been all, which it hasn't turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Well the point stands that if it were a limited batch or production run or production line etc. they'd know which serial number ranges were affected, so regardless of how limited the issue might be, whatever caused it is probably pretty fundamental in the manufacturing chain.

Might also be less reported than it is prevalent due to a reasonable proportion of Switchees playing in hand-held mode with a pro controller for TV and not noticing the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

They have validated serial numbers with customers when repairing the Joy Cons though. Maybe it differs between areas perhaps but reports from people who called Nintendo said that they got serial numbers verified. Also the hardware update that was released a good few weeks back seemed to fix quite a few of the Joy Cons as well, a lot of them it didn't of course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

My Switch has a teeny tiny little mark to the side of the screen, like on the black border bit. Gonna drive me to distraction so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My Switch has a teeny tiny little mark to the side of the screen, like on the black border bit. Gonna drive me to distraction so it is.

Pixel or what

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No like on the black bit. Kinda like a very very small scratch.

Crap that would drive me bonkers, trade it in and get a new one perfection is a must in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 patrick 3759

madmoe wrote: »
    While playing Zelda I definitely had issues with the left one when they were in the grip but not so bad they got annoying, only every now and again. Then I got Mario Kart last week and all seemed OK until I was steering to the left at times when I wanted to go the other way!? Might be time to send mine away.....but I don't have a second set or a pro controller so no playing Switch while they are away!!

I have the same problem albeit very infrequently. It is still very annoying to just suddenly lose control for a couple of seconds, especially in mario kart. Unfortunately Link has also been roasted by guardians on few occassions when he decides to just run incessently into a guardians body as opposed to away like i try to command him :D
    You can see the lag in my left joycon by doing the joy con test/config in settings even when im 5/6 metres away unobstructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 patrick 3759

Flaccus wrote: »
    So got paid today and decision time. Everything i've seen of zelda, bomberman, shovelknight makes me want a switch. I'm jaded with ps4 and miss nintendo. The gamestop guy said a firmware update resolved the joycon disconnection issues but I will be 90% handheld anyway. Still worth getting if tv never gets a look in. Screen seems a little small.

It makes for a mighty fine portable.
    I actually played split screen online in mario kart 8 last night with my sister (which was nice as it never happens) and honestly it ran so smooth. And the split screen was absolutely not an issue, i was still slaying. So full screen games on a portable of the switches size should definetly not be a concern in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Corholio wrote: »
    I don't think it's accurate to say all Left joycons are affected to be honest. It was a problem for some/a lot, but would have been a much bigger problem if it had been all, which it hasn't turned out to be.

It is a problem for all lauch joycon l.

Why you might not notice it is:
    You're fairly close to your TV and console.
    You have less wifi around your home to others.

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Yesterday picked up Zelda and a Hori tough case in Argos Cork. Today took trip to Limerick to grab a Neon switch. Spigen tempered glass on way from Amazon.

Noticed zero issues so far. Loving Zelda. Handheld mode for me almost exclusively. All I need now is a micro sd card for digital downloads. Eurogamer did some testing and concluded there is a cap on how fast the switch will read/write data so it's better to go for capacity then outright speeds. No need for an expensive UHS-3 90Mb/s read/write card then. That's great when you consider you can pay over twice the price for the likes of the Samsung Pro+ or Sandisk Extreme.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-best-microsd-cards-for-switch-loading-time-comparison

One interesting thing I wasn't aware of
    "once you've installed a MicroSD into the Switch, all games automatically download to that location. Unlike screenshots, you don't get to decide where game data is installed - another point of minor irritation in light of our results here. Only when the SD card fills up completely does the Switch then start using the internal storage. So, let's say you want just one game on the built-in NAND memory - to enjoy the faster loading times. In this case, you've got to remove the MicroSD first, install the game to the NAND, and then reinsert that card again. Again, it's a very odd setup, but worth knowing in advance."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As much as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a lush and awesome title, a big part of me would really, really like to see a Diddy Kong Racing reboot on the Switch, though with no Rare there's zip chance of that, unless Sumo or similar could be convinced to give it a lash.
    I don't know, but I much preferred DKR to MK64, I must have put months into that game.
    Aside from the casual racism of that elephant guide, and an occasionally (ok, most of the time) ropey frame rate, it was superb.
    Come on Nintendo, develop it after F-Zero, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As much as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a lush and awesome title, a big part of me would really, really like to see a Diddy Kong Racing reboot on the Switch, though with no Rare there's zip chance of that, unless Sumo or similar could be con itvinced to give it a lash.
    I don't know, but I much preferred DKR to MK64, I must have put months into that game.
    Aside from the casual racism of that elephant guide, and an occasionally (ok, most of the time) ropey frame rate, it was superb.
    Come on Nintendo, develop it after F-Zero, please!

They ported dkr to Nintendo DS and the port was ass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They ported dkr to Nintendo DS and the port was ass.

I know, I have it, it's pants alright, don't know how it could have gone so wrong, or maybe it was always so but in the era of N64 we were more forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

Most of ye posting in this thread would have no reason to notice, but Switch seems to be out of stock everywhere in Dublin. I guess this means it's selling well?

I think it was the release of Tumbleseed last week that made my brain decide it was finally okay to buy a Switch. When I discovered they weren't to be had, my feelings went from "Hmm, I think I'd quite like a Switch now" to "OH GOD I need a Switch whyyyy do I have to wait nnnn I should keep three webpages for various shops open and refresh them several times a day". The human brain is a funny thing. (Or possibly it's just mine.)

Oh well. I'm telling myself that new stock will arrive soon enough, and waiting a bit longer is really a good thing, because by the time I have a Switch in my hands all the joy-con glitches etc. will have been ironed out of the manufacturing process. Either that, or Nintendo are about to announce they're discontinuing production of the Switch, it was only ever intended to be a temporary, short-term offering, and they need to focus their energies on a new surprise product, a DS with three screens (which they're calling the "3SDS").

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

That's a real surprise that its sold out, I wonder are most newly manufactured units being shipped off to America and Japanat the moment, and stock here just ran out over time...

Some nice words here from Polygon, a site that I wouldn't think are pro-Nintendo normally
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/7/15569862/nintendo-switch-love

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

That's a real surprise that its sold out, I wonder are most newly manufactured units being shipped off to America and Japanat the moment, and stock here just ran out over time...

Some nice words here from Polygon, a site that I wouldn't think are pro-Nintendo normally
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/7/15569862/nintendo-switch-love

Just spoke to my friend. He's on the hunt for a Switch. He emailed Argos and they said they won't have them in stock until June...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No reviews out for NBA Playgrounds yet, which is worrying. It's already been announced that online play won't launch on Switch (but will on other platforms), and a lot of features are planned to be patched in at a later stage (such as 2v2 online, on all platforms)

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/5/15549840/nba-playgrounds-switch-online-play-missing-features

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I've never felt as completely outclassed while playing an online game as I do with Puyo Puyo Tetris!

Playing standard versus Tetris is an eye opener as to how good some people are at it!

By the time I've managed to set anything up, I'm being hit with two tetrises in a row and have no way back!

25 years of thinking that I'm good at Tetris shattered in a few games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

I had no idea stock levels were so low - June is an eternity away if you can't wait to play Mario Kart 8 and Street Fighter 2 - lets hope they get stock before June for the uninitiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Had a weird problem with the Switch today. Went to play Mario Kart on the bus and the game wont go past the loading screen. It seems the Switch thinks the left Joycon is detached, despite it being slide snuggly into its rail. The buttons all work, but the Switch won't let you play with one Joycon off and one on. I slip it off and back on firmly and it feels properly connected but still registering as disconnected. Restart the Switch and same. Oh well, back in my bag it goes. I tried again when I got into work as I fad a few spare minutes and lo! it works! Disconnected it and reconnected and it works perfectly and did for 15 minutes straight until I had to stop playing.

This is the same Joycon that has wireless connection issues, so I'm hoping its the controller that's the issue and not the console itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

fixxxer wrote: »
    This is the same Joycon that has wireless connection issues, so I'm hoping its the controller that's the issue and not the console itself.

Best case scenario is that the left Joycon wasn't completely pushed into it's catch. I've found the on-screen prompt appear and the sound but the Joycon isn't all the way in. Needs an extra little push.

Typing that made me feel dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

Had a weird problem with the Switch today. Went to play Mario Kart on the bus and the game wont go past the loading screen. It seems the Switch thinks the left Joycon is detached, despite it being slide snuggly into its rail. The buttons all work, but the Switch won't let you play with one Joycon off and one on. I slip it off and back on firmly and it feels properly connected but still registering as disconnected. Restart the Switch and same. Oh well, back in my bag it goes. I tried again when I got into work as I fad a few spare minutes and lo! it works! Disconnected it and reconnected and it works perfectly and did for 15 minutes straight until I had to stop playing.

Hey, if you go to the home screen and click the little joycon icon "controllers" then you will come to a screen that has an option for "change grip/order". If you click that (remember you can use touch screen if controller isn't working at all) then you will be asked to hit L+R on the controller.

If you press the shoulder button on the left and right joycon at the same time then you should be OK.

If not then press the + or - buttons and follow the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I had the same issue a while back - fixed it by pressing the sync button on the affected joycon - see my post about it here

I found myself leaning harder on the left joycon while playing in handheld mode so the torque was causing it to become loose, just try and fit it securely into the slot.

• Advertisement

I found myself leaning harder on the left joycon while playing in handheld mode so the torque was causing it to become loose, just try and fit it securely into the slot.

That's RobbingBandit in the middle, with his mate Ice Cube and some blonde lady....
    Torque_film.jpg

Advertisement