Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

safetyboy wrote: »
    Cant see anything good hitting switch soon, I love it but its all ****e shovelware.

It's the complete opposite for me. I don't think I've ever bought so many games, quality ones at that, so early in a consoles life span.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hyblaeus

A Nintendo Switch Splatoon 2 bundle was announced in the latest direct, it comes with the blue/red switch and a copy of Splatoon 2 and will be released on July 21st. Seems to be only a European release as it was only announced in the U.K. version of the direct.
    Also a green/pink pro controller and carrying case were announced for July 21st and green/pink joy cons are coming in the Autumn.

Nice to see more colour options becoming available, and hopefully the bundle will encourage more to pick up a switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

New Splatoon Switch bundle, Pro Controller, Joy Cons and case announced in the Direct.

DAD9iigXgAEoFA9.jpg

DAD9jjfXcAIHH-Y.jpg

DAEAfO_WsAAJMQ8?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭geotrig

think im going to get the green pink combo joycons ,only as it reminds me of the astro city cp's:p

It's the complete opposite for me. I don't think I've ever bought so many games, quality ones at that, so early in a consoles life span.

The only thing that is lacking is on the shelve stuff and thats starting to pick up now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So why doesn't the Splatoon bundle include the Splatoon colours instead of the red and blue, I wonder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just hope I can get my home network working properly with Splatoon this time, I had zero luck with it on the WiiU :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

safetyboy wrote: »
    Cant see anything good hitting switch soon, I love it but its all ****e shovelware.

What do you mean by shovelware?

The best fit I can find online is that it's low quality software designed to just pad out a software bundle.

I am gonna use Metacritic scores here and while I can hear the cry "Metacritic counts for nothing" I think we can agree that games with a metascore of at least 80 tend to be higher quality than those games getting less than, say, 50. So, not "****e shovelware".

Zelda - 97
    Mario Kart 8 - 92
    Shovel Knight - 91
    Disgaea 5 - 87
    Binding of Isaac - 86
    Minecraft - 85
    World of Goo - 85
    VOEZ - 81
    Puyo Puyo Tetris - 81
    Snipperclips - 81
    Tumbleseed - 81
    Fast RMX - 81

So far, the Switch has one game ranked under 50.

So, not much shovelware.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The vast majority of the games you've listed are ports. They should have called the "console" Nintendo Switch PORTable. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

One mans port is another mans new game. The only games on that list that I had actually played before are Minecraft and Binding of Isaac, both of which seem to be really well suited to the Switch. Isaac certainly is, I've not given Minecraft a good go yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just because they're ports doesn't mean they're shovelware.

Wikipedia: "Shovelware is derogatory computer jargon for software bundles noted more for the quantity of what is included than for the quality or usefulness."

yes the quantity is high on the switch, but the quality isn't exactly lacking based on the review scores above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So why doesn't the Splatoon bundle include the Splatoon colours instead of the red and blue, I wonder

Same reason the coloured joy cons ship with Grey rails, with the matching coloured rails sold separately. Because most current Switch owners have more money than sense, and Nintendo would like to bring balance to that Sense:Money ratio.
    Sligeach wrote:
    The vast majority of the games you've listed are ports. They should have called the "console" Nintendo Switch PORTable.
    On that list of available games, there's 1 first party port, 1 first party "simulease" and the rest is either exclusives or 3rd party cross-platform titles, which I believe puts the "3rd party Sup" into "Port" - isn't that a good thing?

(I am deliberately ignoring that a lot of that 3rd party support was already present on the WiiU so it does not constitute new support, which is what we want. Don't take my moment away from me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

sligeach wrote: »
    The vast majority of the games you've listed are ports. They should have called the "console" Nintendo Switch PORTable. :p

how many ps4 and xbone games in the first 2 months were anything more than ports or hd remakes, games solely developed just for them and nothing else? its the way of the last few generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CastorTroy wrote: »

Have seen pics of the Japanese bundle and it has the green/pink. Though i think they are the same as the seperate coloured Joy-Cons, so cant get a full lime green/ hot pink pair.

Have to say, if have the money on hand in July I will grab it, Splatoon is one the best games to release the past few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

magnumbud wrote: »
    how many ps4 and xbone games in the first 2 months were anything more than ports or hd remakes, games solely developed just for them and nothing else? its the way of the last few generations.

2 months me backside, those systems cruised along on a bed of remakes, remasters and backwards compatible titles for 2 years, still does in the case of the XB1.
    In fact, the biggest release on the XB1, or at least the one that's gotten the most attention, was the inclusion of Call of Duty: Black Ops II in their backwards compatibility list.
    A vanishingly small list of worthwhile exclusives on the XB1, while the 3rd party stuff is probably better on the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

Is that a bad thing though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah now....
    The Dreamcast has the original of Rez, Ikaruga, Under Defeat, Powerstone, F355, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2...

All of which got substantial upgrade and ports on to other systems. On its own, I can understand why some might find it overrated.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    Is that a bad thing though?

Yes. I buy a "new" console to play "new" games.

you could be waiting a while for anything new on your wiiu:eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Yes. I buy a "new" console to play "new" games.

zelda isnt new? snipperclips? arms? splatoon 2? both out in the next 2 months

• Advertisement

zelda isnt new? snipperclips? arms? splatoon 2? both out in the next 2 months

Don't poke him, we've had the discussion about Zelda being a port/not a port to the point of being physically ill.
    Truth is that the PS4 and XB1 had little to recommend them for at least a year, with everything significant being little more than an upscaled port from the previous generation, exclusives like Knack, Killzone and Rise were just sh1te.
    Best thing on the PS4 was given away free, Resogun, and then it came out on the PS3 and Vita as well!

My WiiU had a good run, with a great library, I was happy to leave LoZ:BotW to buy on the Switch instead of the WiiU, and the continuing releases for the system on the eShop have left me never lacking something to play, even though I have the PS4, XB1, WiiU and a Retron5 sitting next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

Ah now....
    The Dreamcast has the original of Rez, Ikaruga, Under Defeat, Powerstone, F355, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2...

Don't forget Samba de Amigo! That was a Dreamcast game, wasn't it?

Imagine a new Samba game that used the joycons — HD Rumble maracas so you can feel the "shake-a-shake-a" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Imagine a new Samba game that used the joycons — HD Rumble maracas so you can feel the "shake-a-shake-a"

I... I would play that :-/

geotrig wrote: »
    you could be waiting a while for anything new on your wiiu:eek::pac:

There's still a few games to come including Darksiders Warmastered Edition which is a bit late but should be great.

Don't forget Samba de Amigo! That was a Dreamcast game, wasn't it?

Imagine a new Samba game that used the joycons — HD Rumble maracas so you can feel the "shake-a-shake-a" :pac:

I have that, and a set of maracas, it's great fun and better than the Wii remake.
    With a modded DC you get access to the Jap only sequels too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

I have that, and a set of maracas, it's great fun and better than the Wii remake.
    With a modded DC you get access to the Jap only sequels too.

I picture CiDeRmAn's gaff as a kind of glittering Aladdin's cave, each room overflowing with fabulous and exotic wonders. You're looking for the downstairs toilet and take a wrong turn, find yourself in a room full of games you never heard of. Then you realise — hang on — remember when you were a kid, and you and your mates used to make up new games, used to imagine stuff that would be cool? You'd even draw out levels and cover art for your imaginary games? …Those games are all on the shelves of the room you're in. How is that even possible?!? You pick up a box, and looking at the front cover, you begin to tremble as you suddenly recognise what you're holding as a game you designed yourself in the back of Miss Twohey's class when you should have been learning off the names of the rivers of Ireland, it's something you hadn't even thought of for decades, you never even showed it to anyone, and yet here it is etc. etc. :)

Yeah, it kind of is a bit like that.
    Except you think of a game or a system​ and it's probably there... somewhere....

Virtual Boy
    Turbo Grafx 16
    3DO
    Vectrex
    Amiga CD32
    Atari Pong
    Retron5
    Wonderswan Crystal
    Neo Geo Pocket Color
    And then most other consoles as well
    And then the games...
    Steel Battalion is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

There's still a few games to come including Darksiders Warmastered Edition which is a bit late but should be great.

A port?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I picture CiDeRmAn's gaff as a kind of glittering Aladdin's cave, each room overflowing with fabulous and exotic wonders. You're looking for the downstairs toilet and take a wrong turn, find yourself in a room full of games you never heard of. Then you realise ? hang on ? remember when you were a kid, and you and your mates used to make up new games, used to imagine stuff that would be cool? You'd even draw out levels and cover art for your imaginary games? ?Those games are all on the shelves of the room you're in. How is that even possible?!? You pick up a box, and looking at the front cover, you begin to tremble as you suddenly recognise what you're holding as a game you designed yourself in the back of Miss Twohey's class when you should have been learning off the names of the rivers of Ireland, it's something you hadn't even thought of for decades, you never even showed it to anyone, and yet here it is etc. etc. :)

Put that game back! It's a trap!
    They're all for the neo Geo cd.
    You put that game on and by the time you finish and leave the room years will have passed. Your family will all be dead and we'll all be playing 5ds and playing water Mars polo on Pluto.

• Advertisement

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    A port?

Yes. Was waiting for someone to point that out. But if it's good for the goose then it's good for the gander.

Advertisement