Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Mario kart 8 is prob thr best Mario kart ever made you have 48 race tracks a battle mode and it's kart racing you don't expect to stay out in front once you get in 1st it's about using your skill to stay there with what ever items get used on you. I have never enjoyed a Mario kart like this since Mario kart 64.

There is only one other kart game comes close to it called it's the snoic kart game that came out a few years ago that's another game that was dead hard and you need to use your skill to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Swift judgement as always I'll be a good honorable Roman and fall on mine own sword later today, fair thee well.

On an totally unrelated note CeX has a price for Disgaea 5 on their system of €45, unfortunately none in stock as of yet. Seeing as Argos got pissy pissy tetris in stock I really hope they get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Mariokart is all about elbowing your opponent off the couch so they miss the apex of a turn then getting someone to pretend to be the hospital calling about their granny so they miss the start of the race. The Meta game is what it's all about.

The game itself in 1p is chaos and frustration distilled, with skill being more of a baseline prerequisite for entry into the top 3 and success being determined by the whims of the track.

But that's in GP. If you want a 1p skill-based experience do time trials. You'd be amazed what a difference a few losses to the ghost will do for your racing line and use of the 3 mushrooms you're given, and shaving a full 8 seconds off your time on what you thought was an easy track you'd mastered is immensely satisfying. The fact the you can see them pulling away or being left in your dust helps with that feeling of competition rather than just comparing lap times - you can see what they're getting wrong, where they're making up time and adapt. It's good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

You can set up private matches or tournaments and remove the items if you wanted to play the game on just skill. Also, have everyone choose the same characters and vehicle parts for a level playing field.

I'm gonna trade it in ill get it again at a later date when I can see better the twisty tracks are driving me nuts as I've a touch of vertigo I've decided to restart zelda instead should keep me busy until Friday when disgaea and street fighter both come out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The game is fantastic, and it plays very well indeed.
    Truth is, the world has realistic racing games, your Forzas, Gran Turismos and so on, and they are great.#
    And the other category has always been the racers with weapons and other insanity, and the only series that seems to have persisted is Mario Kart, where kart games on alternate formats have sunk, not to mention the attempted combinations of the two, Split Second, Blur or Full Auto.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is superb, I understand there are people a little jaded but it really is outstanding stuff, though the Blue Shell can bring one's mood down, probably why they provided you with a defence.
    I haven't tired of it yet anyways.
    The visuals are a treat, even smoother on the Switch, and the battle options now that you can bring the system with you is a great bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Disgaea was out on friday. I got the box set from NISA in the post some nice extrasand I'm enjoying the game its the first time in a long time since i'eve played one of these kinda games haven't played too much as last college piece is due on tuesday so priorities.

I thought may 26 in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I thought may 26 in europe

I just checked you right its out next friday I guess someone made a boo boo sending it to me a week early ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm in Japan at the moment, and likely getting a switch at Christmas. Are there any japan-exclusive joycon sets or anything? Would be a sin to miss them if so :p

• Advertisement

NIS themselves can't really break the street date I suppose.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Truth is, the world has realistic racing games, your Forzas, Gran Turismos and so on, and they are great.

The world? Sure. Ninty doesn't though, and there surely is room in the world for games that are fun to play but take their subject - be it driving, fighting, flying - seriously? Mariokart Nights vs Kodansha, the tale of a bunch of angry teens (Peach's son by Bowser, Zelda and Ganon's offspring, a half-metroid hybrid etc.) and their customised hatchbacks Vs Kamen Rider, the Major, Kaneda...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I'VE SWITCHED!! :D:D

Just starting Zelda now and going to get MK8D from the eShop. 128gb memory card is on the way. Should I wait for the memory card to come or is there no issue installing to the internal and adding a memory card at a later date?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, who is to say Nintendo hardware won't?
    Give the Switch a chance, it's only a few months old.

The Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS all have had realistic racing titles.
    No suggestion that the Switch won't enjoy that genre of games, in time.

I understand your humour, but we saw CoD, ZombiU and Bayonetta 2 on the last Nintendo format, all realistic in their own way.

Give it a little time, I'd say we'll get the games you deride describe with Power Rangers vs Angsty teenage Ganon in time.

Zelda has been in that castle with ganon for 100 years the real calamity is if there aren't any blonde monster kids running around the place, funny thing I just discovered if you restart the game having already played it the amiibo functionalities are unlocked before the first time round this time its available after the first shrine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

TPD wrote: »
    I'm in Japan at the moment, and likely getting a switch at Christmas. Are there any japan-exclusive joycon sets or anything? Would be a sin to miss them if so :p

There's the splatoon 2 switch set pink and green.

I'm not sure how you'd make a full pink and/or full green set without getting the special Japanese only switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Need for Speed on the Wii U is one of those gems that may have been overlooked by some. A fantastic version of the game and the gamepad functionality is a glimpse of what was possible using it if Nintendo had handled the integration right throughout the consoles lifetime.

Mario Kart 8 or Deluxe are fantastic games in their own right. They are proper racing games in their own right too in fairness, racing games aren't about what the car looks like, it's the handling/competitiveness/track management/racing tactics etc. I love the Forza games, but a lot of how you would play in that you would use in Mario Kart as well.

Sonic Racing and COD on Wii U used the gamepad well for 2 player action. One played on the TV screen while the other played on the gamepad screen and I thought it was great. Nintendo rarely tried and when they did(though really it was KOEI Tecmo) with Hyrule Warriors, it was hideous. Nintendo should have used that feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭764dak

How energy efficient is a docked Switch compared to a Wii U?

I think the best uses of the screen were in Nintendoland.
    Unfortunate really.

Recall the bluster from Ubisoft about the Watchdogs port, where it was delayed to allow for really amazing things.
    Result?
    A glorified map.
    And a crappy framerate.
    It wasn't even as good as the PS3 version.
    Ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Zombi U in multiplayer was great.

Person with the gamepad had an overhead view and would spawn zombies on the map for the other 4 players to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Banjo wrote:
    The world? Sure. Ninty doesn't though, and there surely is room in the world for games that are fun to play but take their subject - be it driving, fighting, flying - seriously? Mariokart Nights vs Kodansha, the tale of a bunch of angry teens (Peach's son by Bowser, Zelda and Ganon's offspring, a half-metroid hybrid etc.) and their customised hatchbacks Vs Kamen Rider, the Major, Kaneda...

JUST GIMME AN EXCITE TRUCK HD REMAKE

So I've been reading that the Nintendo Switch Dock Set is now available to pre order on Amazon UK for £80. God knows what Gamestop will try if they get it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-2511646-Switch-Dock-Set/dp/B071LGSG34

Nintendo are consistent if nothing else with their accessory pricing. Consistently expensive.

fixxxer wrote: »
    JUST GIMME AN EXCITE TRUCK HD REMAKE

13576d1383025447-fox-marketing-veloster-turbo-amen-brother.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sligeach wrote: »
    So I've been reading that the Nintendo Switch Dock Set is now available to pre order on Amazon UK for £80. God knows what Gamestop will try if they get it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-2511646-Switch-Dock-Set/dp/B071LGSG34

Nintendo are consistent if nothing else with their accessory pricing. Consistently expensive.

ive seen people putting pics of on reddit of the dock for $45

dunworth1 wrote: »
    ive seen people putting pics of on reddit of the dock for $45

What do you mean? NOA charge $90 for the dock. When you think that a 2DS with a game, a whole system, costs less than a glorified HDMI/plug, it makes it even worse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Handheld-Console-2DS-Black/dp/B00OCJKMTE/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sligeach wrote: »
    What do you mean? NOA charge $90 for the dock. When you think that a 2DS with a game, a whole system, costs less than a glorified HDMI/plug, it makes it even worse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Handheld-Console-2DS-Black/dp/B00OCJKMTE/

walmart

d3psX5N.jpg

I know they steal your soul and will probably obliterate all small businesses in the local but this is why we can't have nice things, wallmart needs to come here and sell us high end products at stupid prices. Damn $45 is crazy cheap, my sword was a minecraft foam sword so no dice on the fair thee well I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

jenno86 wrote: »
    I'VE SWITCHED!! :D:D

Just starting Zelda now and going to get MK8D from the eShop. 128gb memory card is on the way. Should I wait for the memory card to come or is there no issue installing to the internal and adding a memory card at a later date?

Also, will any normal USB-C wall charger do for the switch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

jenno86 wrote: »
    Also, will any normal USB-C wall charger do for the switch?

It's complicated. There was a chart on the Nintendo Switch subreddit - have a look there.

EDIT: here it is.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/66i5gs/choosing_your_nintendo_switch_charger_a/

Basically anything will charge it, however it won't charge fast enough when playing demanding games unless it delivers at least 13-14W or something. An iPad charger is probably the best USB A charger (with an A to C cable) while I'm sure you can find a decent C to C on that list.

Also if you install MK8 internally and then insert the SD you'll be prompted to restart the Switch. All subsequent games get installed there - you can't decide the install location manually. IIRc you'll have to uninstall and reinstall to move it to the SD.

However the internal storage is fastest, while the SD is next and the proprietary carts the slowest.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-best-microsd-cards-for-switch-loading-time-comparison

Advertisement