Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I've just bought this one.

I'll let you know how it goes once I receive it (probably in a week as it's the free delivery)

Got it today from Amazon.
    Upgraded the firmware and it works great :)
    Haven't tried it as a 3rd controller yet - will try that with Mario Kart and my 2 kids later

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just got my NES30 Pro and SNES Retro Receiver in the post today, will test them out later, on both the SNES and the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

More Mario/Rabbids details/rumours:

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/05/29/mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-an-inside-look
    – Development began roughly three years ago
    – Not a case of Nintendo approaching Ubisoft
    – Supposedly Ubisoft’s brainchild
    – Began as a proposal that went through the standard pitching process one has to go through to get a game made at Nintendo, including a presentation to their higher ups
    – Site’s sources say they have seen functional prototypes of a Wii U version of the game at various points in development
    – Ubisoft Milan is handling the core creative direction
    – Prevailing sense of Nintendo letting go of the reins with the project
    – Nintendo reps are closely overseeing it and approval is needed for anything concerning the use of their characters
    – However, even the most outlandish ideas from the developers have been met with little resistance
    – Twisted sense of humor
    – Has surreal, self referential gags
    – Early prototype had a hulky Donkey Kong themed rabbid serving as one of the first boss encounters
    – The rabbid has access to a pile of bananas that it can use to replenish its health
    – Players are required to first cut off his food supply to prevent him from recovering before they can do some real damage
    – The DK rabbid apparently will dab periodically if it lands an attack correctly (a possible reference to DK’s dab from Mario Kart 8)
    – Once the boss is defeated, one member of the player’s party, a rabbid cosplaying as Princess Peach, takes out a smart phone and nabs a selfie with the DK Rabbid as it collapses
    – All playable characters have an individual skill tree of sorts through which they can develop their own special abilities
    – Each one starts with a base skill that they can later improve
    – Learn new skills as well
    – Ex: Mario has a passive ability which enables him to automatically fire at an enemy if they enter his field of vision during the enemy’s turn
    – Some of these powers are common across multiple characters
    – Unique ones like Peach’s powerful ability to inflate enemies using a foot pump until they explode
    – Online suite was apparently being tested several months back, but it was inaccessible in the test build
    – “Arena” mode spotted in the test UI promising some local co-op action.
    – amiibo support seems to be planned
    – Prototypes feature a mode dubbed ‘amiibo machine’
    – Ubisoft is said to be producing prototype figurines of some of the game’s characters
    – These could be for a potential Kingdom Battle amiibo line
    – Was planned to be announced during Switch’s unveiling in January, but was pushed back to receive further polish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Mr E wrote: »
    More Mario/Rabbids details/rumours:

– Development began roughly three years ago
    Not a case of Nintendo approaching Ubisoft
    Supposedly Ubisoft’s brainchild
    – Began as a proposal that went through the standard pitching process one has to go through to get a game made at Nintendo, including a presentation to their higher ups
    – Site’s sources say they have seen functional prototypes of a Wii U version of the game at various points in development
    – Ubisoft Milan is handling the core creative direction
    Prevailing sense of Nintendo letting go of the reins with the project
    – Nintendo reps are closely overseeing it and approval is needed for anything concerning the use of their characters
    – However, even the most outlandish ideas from the developers have been met with little resistance
    – Twisted sense of humor
    – Has surreal, self referential gags
    – Early prototype had a hulky Donkey Kong themed rabbid serving as one of the first boss encounters
    – The rabbid has access to a pile of bananas that it can use to replenish its health
    – Players are required to first cut off his food supply to prevent him from recovering before they can do some real damage
    – The DK rabbid apparently will dab periodically if it lands an attack correctly (a possible reference to DK’s dab from Mario Kart 8)
    – Once the boss is defeated, one member of the player’s party, a rabbid cosplaying as Princess Peach, takes out a smart phone and nabs a selfie with the DK Rabbid as it collapses
    – All playable characters have an individual skill tree of sorts through which they can develop their own special abilities
    – Each one starts with a base skill that they can later improve
    – Learn new skills as well
    – Ex: Mario has a passive ability which enables him to automatically fire at an enemy if they enter his field of vision during the enemy’s turn
    – Some of these powers are common across multiple characters
    – Unique ones like Peach’s powerful ability to inflate enemies using a foot pump until they explode
    – Online suite was apparently being tested several months back, but it was inaccessible in the test build
    – “Arena” mode spotted in the test UI promising some local co-op action.
    – amiibo support seems to be planned
    – Prototypes feature a mode dubbed ‘amiibo machine’
    – Ubisoft is said to be producing prototype figurines of some of the game’s characters
    – These could be for a potential Kingdom Battle amiibo line
    – Was planned to be announced during Switch’s unveiling in January, but was pushed back to receive further polish

That is not reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Every time I see Rabbids, my brain thinks of the marvelous Rub Rabbits games and then is disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Agree with Dreadhead with the price gouging so far on Switch, SSF 2 at that price point won't do it for me personally, I'm looking for using my Switch for mainly first party and indie titles, the indie ones I'll grab off the store and the first party ones I'll grab the cartridge

So far I've got Zelda, MK8 and Shovel Knight

Probably won't even get another cartridge until Odyssey comes out if there is nothing of interest for me in between, can't see Rabbids doing it for me....

Interested in FIFA of all things, a game I would not bother with on PS4 but an on the go version with the Joycon has me cautiously interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    I got Has-Been Heroes and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth as gifts recently! I have played Isaac and it's cool enough but am having an issue with getting the other game going. It won't go past the character selection screen? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
    M

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That is not reassuring.

Is that all not positive?

A new IP.
    From Ubisoft.
    Where Nintendo have allowed the Ubi team to work with their precious characters without strong oversight?

I'd be more concerned at the control method.
    I'm still uncertain what this is going be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is that all not positive?

A new IP.
    From Ubisoft.
    Where Nintendo have allowed the Ubi team to work with their precious characters without strong oversight?

Well, let's look at pedigree.
    Nintendo gave us Super Mario World, Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario.
    Ubisoft made Raving Rabbids and Rabbids Go Home.

If I could choose one of them to oversee the project and the other to just have input on how their characters were used, I know which way round I'd want it to be. In that sense I think we have the worst of the two possibilities.

Given the stories that came out of Wreckit Ralph around the 3 seconds of Bowser holding a teacup, there's reasonable grounds for assuming that "approval is needed for anything concerning the use of their characters" is a lot more far-ranging than it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Banjo wrote: »
    Well, let's look at pedigree.
    Nintendo gave us Super Mario World, Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario.
    Ubisoft made Raving Rabbids and Rabbids Go Home.

If I could choose one of them to oversee the project and the other to just have input on how their characters were used, I know which way round I'd want it to be. In that sense I think we have the worst of the two possibilities.

Given the stories that came out of Wreckit Ralph around the 3 seconds of Bowser holding a teacup, there's reasonable grounds for assuming that "approval is needed for anything concerning the use of their characters" is a lot more far-ranging than it sounds.

Yes this. Nintendo having a 'hands off' approach is not reassuring. But we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly,
    People are just a little short sighted when it comes to Ubisoft.

Yes, they've engaged in some certain cookie cutter titles over the years, but they have, over a slightly longer time frame, brought us plenty of great games, from Beyond Good and Evil to the Rayman Origins/Legends games, as well as some real innovation, though nested in flaws, in the likes of the evocative Far Cry 2, with Far Cry 3 being a stunning game.
    Even as an early supporter of the Wii and WiiU, ZombiU continues to find an audience and relevance as a digital download on the current formats.
    To dismiss Ubisoft on the basis of the two Rabbids games mentioned is like dismissing Nintendo for the WiiU Mario Tennis Ultra.

That is to say, plenty of pedigree in Ubisoft for innovation, it's just their massive throughput that may dilute that output somewhat.

Hey look, I was a big fan of Rayman Legends when it came out, it was definitely the better of the 2 big 2D platformers on the WiiU at the time, but I was looking purely at the 2 properties that are being merged - Rabbids and Mario. And I don't think I was being unfair, I picked the 2 best Rabbids games I didn't bring say, Mariokart and ACIII into it - I'm not a monster!

I'm not saying the Rabbids games are bad. They're fun. They're a lot of fun. And they have some great ideas - Rabbids Go Home's minigame where you trap a rabbid in your WiiMote and then shake it around to listen to him scream is hilarious with the kids - but the gameplay in most Rabbids games is pedestrian and relies heavily on the charm of those gormless buffoons to lift it. Mario, by contrast, appears far more charming by virtue of the amazing games he's been in. Let's face it, when you strip away the incredible array of gameplay innovations, he's a cock-blocking animal-murdering wreckless-driving drug-taking arsehole.

And I think it's far more likely to assume that Ubisoft will have their Rabbids team working on their new Rabbids game than... I dunno... the guys who should be making Far Cry 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I like Ubisoft, I don't see the problem with them. Assassain's Creed, Far Cry, Watchdogs, Trials, Trackmania, Prince of Persia will always get my money whenever there's a game out.

I wont get my Switch for another month now. Out of stock. Nintendo with no idea about demand as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Platinum Games developing an 'interesting' game for the Switch

How’s the compatibility with Platinum Games?

“I think it’s good. We’ve also already declared we’re going to participate. During the announcement event of Nintendo Switch, there’s the Platinum Games logo showing up secretly.’

Is something happening?

"We’re creating it, you know. I think it’s going to be interesting.”

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/161236981339

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just picked up a new Switch yesterday. This is easily the coolest gadget I've ever gotten. Zelda is great so far and having tonnes of fun with Mario Kart.

Banjo, I understand you are talking about those specific properties, but Ubi is a big company and, judging by the specs of this game, it's nothing like the previous Rabbids game in terms of content.

I would like to imagine they'll bring some of their big games to the Switch format, rather than limit us to Mario/Rabbids cross-overs, which to me feels a little too much like some kind of goofy fun but, ultimately, shallow.

For me Far Cry 2 on my 360 is a high point, but Watchdogs on the WiiU was a kick in the nethers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

OMG the 1st copy of Mario Kart 8 I ordered from Amazon showed up in my house when i checked the tracking number there. IT was lost for a month and showed up ....

Allready got another copy from Amazon for free in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

OMG the 1st copy of Mario Kart 8 I ordered from Amazon showed up in my house when i checked the tracking number there. IT was lost for a month and showed up ....

to cex or gamestop with you :P or be a moral person and return it to amazon i guess :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Sarn

I think the crate with the Irish orders went missing and finally showed up.

magnumbud wrote: »
    to cex or gamestop with you :P or be a moral person and return it to amazon i guess :P

Ahem... the Bargain Alerts thread followed by a trip to Adverts....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

magnumbud wrote: »

amazon, more often than not, will tell you to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,214 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Smash Bros. Switch rumor heats up with supposed screenshots leak
    smash-rumor-1.jpg

http://nintendoeverything.com/smash-bros-switch-rumor-heats-up-with-supposed-screenshots-leak/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd put money on them bringing an updated wiiu version over.

The 'leak' has a look of fake about it to me. Some of the photo's don't look quite right, some fonts different from others etc. Always a fUn time though, the 2 weeks before E3.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd put money on them bringing an updated wiiu version over.

Queue a certain someone exploding in hulk-like RAGE at such an insult.

I'd say so too, though it'll bring together all of the features of both the WiiU and 3DS versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

+1 karma for them losing last 3 ordered and not sending out preorders day before or day off! Smyths for day 1 purchases in future...

Next bring on Arms then hopefully lots of 3rd party stuff for the 6 months and some E3 surprises.

God damn Switch wont arrive till August now, I have the Switch Breath of the Wild. Should I wait or just buy the Wii U version?

God damn Switch wont arrive till August now, I have the Switch Breath of the Wild. Should I wait or just buy the Wii U version?

Where are you getting it from? Smyths have had stock in and out since it was launched. Had some in stock last friday here in Cork I know of.

Littlewoods. Easier for me to get it on tick. Don't want to drop 350 euro in one go at the minute. Although I did look on Smiths, and they had none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Littlewoods. Easier for me to get it on tick. Don't want to drop 350 euro in one go at the minute. Although I did look on Smiths, and they had none.

Smyths had good stock of grey Switch consoles when I checked a couple of days ago. Neon ones completely out of stock and seems to be the case most everywhere.

Advertisement