Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Seed Question

Options
  • 02-03-2017 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

There is an area on our lawn area that is somewhat shaded, adjacent to the drive (though heaven protect anyone who so much as considers  rolling a tyre over it when turning their car), and gets quite a bit of footfall as its just outside the kitchen door. In the winter it tends to turn into a bit of a mud patch. It generally recovers over the summer, but the grass can still be a bit patchy.

My wife has suggested I re-sow the area this spring, but before I do that does anyone have any advice over a hard wearing resilient grass seed I should consider using?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

No grass seed can completely withstand constant traffic but a sportsturf mix would be one of the most resilient - they are chosen for heavy wear and tear. I can't recommend a mixture off the top of my head but a quick google search will give you an idea.

Instead of continually resowing the lawn area, enlarge the path?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Ryegrass (as used on pitches) would be the best bet. Note however that any seed claiming to be hard wearing is not.

Ryegrass will wear as quick as any other. Rye will recover quicker however.

Advertisement