Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque made out to my name as Gaeilge

• 02-03-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

So I sometimes go by my name in Irish, but officially my name is the anglicised version. I received a cheque today which is made out to my first name in English but my surname in Irish.... I wonder whether the bank will accept it or whether I'll have to get the cheque reissued (which would be a pain in the ass).

How likely would they be to accept it if I doctored the name a bit to change it to the English name? (Would only need to switch a few letters around)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Definitly don't try changing anything. It could be accepted at the counter and then rejected by the clearing office. Just try lodging the cheque and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This is what happens when people don't use their real names...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm from the Gaeltacht and I use the English and Irish versions of my surname equally. My passport lists both versions of my surname, so that usually clears up any confusion from people not used to Irish surnames. We're a unique country in the sense that it's possible for people to have two versions of their names.

If you have ID showing both, you should be fine if any questions arise. But I'd say to fire away.

Advertisement