Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log cabins

Options
  • 02-03-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi folks

My husband and I want to build our own home in the next couple of years and have a site on his family farm. However, we are currently renting and saving for a new build is a nightmare, as it is for everyone.

We are considering building a log cabin (small, 1-2 beds) on his parent's land behind their house while we save and begin the build in 12-24 mths. The cabin would be temporary accommodation for this time period for the two of us and a newborn baby who is currently in the oven :P. This solution will also mean we will be rent free while I'm on unpaid maternity leave for six months, which will help us massively financially.

A few qus!
    - Has anyone bought any of these 'granny flat' type log cabins? What were your experiences (I can only find info on timber frame builds in the board)
    - Was planning permission a nightmare?
    - How long did the build take once PP was granted?
    - Any flashpoints or anything else I should know going into this?

Thanks in advance.
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

There's a program on TV3 player with Conor Pope, it shows an Irish log cabin provider who is named and shamed in the show, who has built terrible log cabins for people. Worthwhile knowing one person not to go to !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

caycro wrote: »
    There's a program on TV3 player with Conor Pope, it shows an Irish log cabin provider who is named and shamed in the show, who has built terrible log cabins for people. Worthwhile knowing one person not to go to !!

if you Google "Conor Pope Log Cabins" you will see a certain person's name and business pop up. He used to open a new of company every year under similar names.

Shomera would be on the expensive end of things I imagine, but they have a good website with advice on planning permission etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭queera

Thank you both so much, that's really useful and good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

a) You need planning permission.

b) You won't get planning permission.

Sorry, OP, but log cabins come up every now and again in the forum and they aren't allowed under planning. Not as a habitable structure anyway, the log cabin websites say you won't need planning permission but that's only if they're built as a shed. What will happen is that they absolve themselves of responsibility for planning (since it's the owner's responsibility) and tell you that if you use it outside of certain grounds it will require planning, then turn a blind eye to you installing a bathroom, kitchen and bedroom in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I have friends who built their house whilst living in a mobile home whilst building their house.Been a guest in that a few times and it's fab. They aren't too expensive, you don't need planning permission and if you take care of them a little bit you can sell thre afterwards again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I have friends who built their house whilst living in a mobile home whilst building their house.Been a guest in that a few times and it's fab. They aren't too expensive, you don't need planning permission and if you take care of them a little bit you can sell thre afterwards again..

If you get planning permission to build on a site, it's possible to also apply for planning permission for something like a mobile home on the same site for a limited period. This doesn't mean it doesn't require planning.

The OP's plan to build in the parent's land behind the house would only be covered if it was part of the land they have planning permission for, planning is also applied for it, and it's a temporary structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭queera

a) You need planning permission.

b) You won't get planning permission.

Thanks a million - this is really useful to know. Annoying, but so important. I really wouldn't want to go into this with a false sense of how easy it might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

+1 on this. I know someone who gutted their house(I think they basically tripled their house) and got a mobile home to stay on site.They said it was invaluable to deal with the builders on the spot rather than driving to them

They said it was fine other than it was cold in the Winter. But I have a feeling they brought an ancient mobile home

OP you can pick them up relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There may be building regulation issues - do you want a new baby in a freezing cold garden shed?
    you don't need planning permission

Planning permission is needed for change of use of land. The most common change of use is the construction of buildings. Using land for a mobile home or 'log cabin' is a change of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP I don't like raining on people's parades but I always have this niggling thing at the back of my mind. Why not just get on and do the main job rather than messing about with stages. To me it seems a bit of a waste of money. I'm sure that's been said about every good idea since Ugg emerged from his cave gesturing towards the first ever fire and he was told it was a waste of perfectly good sticks but in this case...

• Advertisement
Advertisement