Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Moved:Classic Cars] Another Insurance Questions

Options
  • 02-03-2017 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a classic but am struggling to get quotes for insurance. My wife has a company car, and is also the registered owner on our private car with insurance in her name and myself as a named driver on both vehicles. My own NCB expired last year. Any company I have spoken to thus far won't even allow me as a named driver if we buy a classic in her name, and won't let me insure it myself as I don't have any vehicles in my own name.

Are there any companies that will either insure me as named, or allows for a policy in my own name with the classic being classed as a 'normal' car (I realise this will be more costly)? I'm 42 with no penalties and the car is a 70's Merc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Usually they will allow you a classic policy if you have use of another car, so you could register the classic in your own name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Nope - all three so far have said no, despite the fact I have full use of another two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Check out First Ireland. They let you have classic insurance in your name, while you are a named driver on your wife's car. That's exactly what I have. I have no other car myself, just the classic. Very reasonable rates too (fully comp, building up your own NCB(!), emergency assist) for about €200 - €300 per year. Your car will definitely qualify. Not sure about you :pac:

If that doesn't go then Autoline do classic insurance as your only insurance, but you pay a premium similar to normal car, so not cheap.

Check them out and keep us updated in here. Good luck!

First Ireland were...first to refuse me - admittedly the guy didn't seem too knowledgeable but then I get the exact same story from Carole Nash.

Will try Autoline, waiting on a callback from some other crowd from yesterday so I'm not too confident about them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

unkel wrote: »
    Check out First Ireland. They let you have classic insurance in your name, while you are a named driver on your wife's car. That's exactly what I have. I have no other car myself, just the classic.

this may not / is not the case if you're starting a new policy with them though - (I started a thread on this somewhere not so long ago) - I did have a number of classics consecutively insured with FI, but hung up my classic keys so to speak about 15 months ago, and have just had the 1 daily driver since. I enquired with FI as to getting a classic, and having my wife as named driver on it, but they flat out refused, and said that we would need 2 'normal' cars, insured in each of our names, before we could get a classic that we could be both insured on.
    Are both you & your wife insured on your classic unkel, or just yourself?

I'd be interested to hear from the OP too to see how he gets on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ages ago now:

First Ireland, main classic car, 10k limited mileage. No issue, base premium was comparable to standard motor policy, but additional vehicles were fairly cheap to add. At the time, it was about 600 + c. 70 per extra. So I worked up to 4 altogether at one point on the policy.

Now:

First Ireland, one car, 4k limited mileage, as secondary use vehicle. Cert is for me + wife.

Main policy (Supervalu/AIG) on modern me + wife.
    Max NCD mirrored from main onto classic policy.

Conclusion. It may be they aren't taking that risk profile on for new business. It may be to do with occupation as my wife doesn't work. (e.g. they might think 2 workers need two regular modern cars in order to commute)

[I think in the years I've had wife on the classic policy, I've only got her to drive one twice. Because Xmas and beer :D . So it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if an additional driver wasn't possible.]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Gatster wrote: »
    First Ireland were...first to refuse me - admittedly the guy didn't seem too knowledgeable but then I get the exact same story from Carole Nash.

Will try Autoline, waiting on a callback from some other crowd from yesterday so I'm not too confident about them either.
    This may be because you are trying to get insurance in your name of your wife's classic . The situation may be different if the classic was in your name or if she took out a classic policy with you as a named driver.

Isambard wrote: »
    This may be because you are trying to get insurance in your name of your wife's classic . The situation may be different if the classic was in your name or if she took out a classic policy with you as a named driver.

Nope, still doesn't work. The car isn't bought yet but I tried both approaches. First Ireland and Carole Nash refused to insure me as a named driver if it was reg'd in her name, and wouldn't insure me at all as I don't have another policy in my name. It's absolutely insane.

Advertisement